• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

What is the best way to ventilate your garage?

Hi,

I have a four cars garage. The house is stucco all around. My garage is completely closed with no ventilation system. I want to install a system that will keep the temp at a favorable level for my collectable cars. Any recommendations, inputs, thoughts, or ideas is greatly appreciated.

Warmest regards,
Dat

get a wall mount AC unit or an indoor unit and route the exhaust to the outside... the latter requires a smaller hole though. Set the thermostat and be done with it or you can run the fan by itself. :cool:

Look at the mini-split ductless AC units. Bit more expensive, but less intrusive installation. If you get one with an integrated heat pump it will also provide heat in the winter. Mitsubishi units seem to have the best reputation.

For more garage-related info, I suggest heading over to the forum on www.garagejournal.com.

If the optimum environment requires heating and cooling, you will need a heat pump, which are available as a through wall unit. Most manufacturer have tables that will allow you to calculated the capacity of the unit based on your location, volume of the space, orientation and wall/roof/floor construction. You need to be careful about about humidity build-up in that it can have a negative affect on construct, and I suspect your cars. A dehumidifier may also be required.

If you can put in a couple of windows, I'd start there. Since you're in San Diego, the heat and cooling load is pretty small and unless you need to keep your cars at 75, airflow would be sufficient, in my opinion. If you are storing a 1932 Hispania Souza (sp), a full up HVAC with humidity control might be in order. At that point $10,000 for a good system is small change.:wink:

If you want to work on the cars, a portable or split system is nice. I find that even a fan makes a difference. I'm east of Escondido and open one bay door and the door to outside gets enough airflow to make working in the garage tolerable.

My 2 cents.

Miner

I put a roof circulating vent in my garage but since then the inside of my garage and everything in it gets dusty very quickly. Just something to consider since some parts of SD is also quite dusty as well.

This is what I have. My car is dusty alot of the times also.

I've toyed with this idea also. The best I've come up with is to use some kind of controller (temp or enthalpy) to turn on/off a pair of fans (something like this) - one pushing air into the garage, the other pulling it out - when the air outside is cooler than inside (or cooler than some setpoint).

That would be during the summer, during the winter I'd want it to do the opposite (turn on when air outside is warmer).

Toss an air filter on the intake fan to minimize dust being sucked in.

Product Details
Item Weight: 32 pounds
Shipping Weight: 19 pounds :confused: (they must add feathers)

I've toyed with this idea also. The best I've come up with is to use some kind of controller (temp or enthalpy) to turn on/off a pair of fans (something like this) - one pushing air into the garage, the other pulling it out - when the air outside is cooler than inside (or cooler than some setpoint).

That would be during the summer, during the winter I'd want it to do the opposite (turn on when air outside is warmer).

Toss an air filter on the intake fan to minimize dust being sucked in.

Back