• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

What is/was your college major?

What can you do with it? What are you doing with it?

I am once again lost in my decision of picking a major. I am too far behind in math to make it up to the level I will need to be for my transfer in mechanical engineering. Well that chem and physics. I'll be stuck at the community college for another 2 years because they want ALL the chem, math and physics courses prior to transfer. It's not that I don't have the ability to comprehend those subjects, it's just that at max rate (which is actually normal since you can only do 1 math/1 chem/1 physics per semester) I'll be here for WAY too long.

I am deep into liberal studies and can easily finish with that but finding out it's not my true passion. It sucks hearing about all these UC engineering students participating stateside and over seas in these autonomous vehicle/robot competitions and I can't be a part of it. I have a passion to create something marvelous.

It's just that I don't know exactly what can be done with these other majors out there that are non-science or engineering (which both is something I like to do).

I hate politics but I find it every interesting, so what exactly can I do with a political science degree other than trying to be a politician?

What else can I do with a liberal studies degree?

I don't want to be stuck behind a desk in some cube for the rest of my adult life.

Economics/chinese.

Eco is a little different then the rest of the "arts" and my eco program was top 20 at the time, but your internships/experience and school/grade has more bearing than the title of your actual degree 95+% of the time.

Some particular jobs are different in that regard such as engineering. It's difficult to work as an engineer without an engineering degree. I've only been out of school for a short time but I've worked in oil and gas, different parts of the finance/banking industry, and distribution if you include while I was still in school.

Most of my job offers were based on my chinese and my internships/experience. The economics degree with decent grades was just a foundation so they were confident I had the ability to learn difficult concepts.

I get "if you can learn chinese" or "if you can get 3.xx GPA at UT" more than I get that my degree is fantastic. Regardless of your 'title', in a tight job market experience and taking on difficult tasks will make or break you, combined with your interview skills. Interview as many times as you can, even if you think you are not that interested in a firm.

Longhorn Alumni here.
Major: Biology
Minor: Chemistry

University Of Texas Health Science system.
After Graduating I continued with medical school, 3rd year resident at Scott and White Hospital emphasizing in Neuro Surgery before finding another door during the process. Worked for the Gov in Bio Chem warfare. Handled many tests with several agencies, before becoming a chemical analyst. Now working in the Field doing analysis in the Middle East/Asia before heading back and completing the remainder of my term and applying a white coat on my back.

Staying proactive is key, opening doors in many areas helps especially networking with off degree plans as a fall back plan B.

An undercover doc for Cars. =)

Last edited:
Liberal Arts
Business
Finance

Yet...I work in the technology industry as network support...go figure :rolleyes:

B.A. and M.B.A, with concentrations in international marketing. Allowed me to live and work in Asia, Latin America, Europe and the Middle East.

Currently retired and spend my time posting on Prime.:biggrin:

Bachelor of Applied International Business & Supply Chain Management

Logistics Manager - The World Island Project - Dubai, UAE:biggrin:

B.S. Business/Information Systems
MBA - Finance graduate in Dec. :biggrin:

I went to Battlenet University under the the College of Starcrat. I majored in Zerg Rushing Tactics with a minor in Siege Tank deployment.

B.S. International Relationships - trying to get a job at the Playboy Mansion.

BA in film/video production at USC

Career: video game artist (lately more technical than artist).

When I started my career (straight out of high school), nobody taught classes for what I did. Creating games (and animated shorts) had been a hobby through high school...I was a self-taught pixel pusher. I think my film school classmates thought I was a bit odd. An animation instructor at USC had huge issues with me as soon as he learned I worked with computers...I ended up having to drop his class. And I think my boss thought it was strange that I wanted to study film when I could have started working full time for him many years earlier.

Nowadays, USC's "School of Cinematic Arts" offers a program for aspiring game developers. Video games have become more like movies and movies have become more like games. Ironic? Or was I just ahead of my time? :D

Last edited:
Chemical Engineering. University of Alberta

OP: after doing three years of sciences myself I switched to do the pre-requisites for engineering. I'm now in my second year of engineering co-op and all I can say it's worth it. Don't look at how much longer it's going to take you to do school. Don't worry about the other people in your class being younger than you. Clearly from what you wrote you like engineering/building things. Two years is nothing compared to 40 working at a job you don't like. I say go for the P. Eng.

B.S. Mechanical Engineering - The Cooper Union

M.S. Mechanical Engineering - The Cooper Union pending thesis submission and defense.

you need the math and the science to get through the core classes, but once projects kick in, it's all application based knowledge. i've gone through robotics competitions, machine design, pneumatic systems, electromechanical systems, and two formula sae competitions (team leading, or co-team leading roles in all of them) and i consider myself horrible at math, chemistry, and physics. but i do consider myself pretty good at machining, fabrication, welding, system design, practical considerations, and organization.

it's what you have to offer to whatever program you're involved in, moreso than if you're an expert at everything that's being done.

Started off in Business...ended up in Engineering. I use both.

BS - Economics
Minor in Finance

Went straight to the Insurance Industry and now an arbitrator.

Best advice, no matter what your degree is in get work experience prior to graduating. Internships FTW..

James

My degree is in Philosophy from Virginia Tech.
My job title is 'systems engineer'.

The path I took was risky, I wouldn't recommend it to anyone else. Philosophy majors are a different breed. You have to be pretty smart, but also either be confident, or indifferent about your career. I wanted to study the smartest people who ever walked the earth. That's my thing. I had pretty high confidence the job thing would be easy. It is.

Lots of interesting career choices compared to majors! I'm liking this. I was really worried about not being able to do anything I liked because of picking the wrong major. Seems alot of you guys have managed to work your life into a position you want it to be regardless of the bachelors you left with.

Lots of interesting career choices compared to majors! I'm liking this. I was really worried about not being able to do anything I liked because of picking the wrong major. Seems alot of you guys have managed to work your life into a position you want it to be regardless of the bachelors you left with.

David,

I think a lot of folks have demonstrated how their degree and job don't really go hand in hand, but I think it would be really difficult to find a position in engeering without a degree in engeering. To me, it just sounds very technical as a profession. Just my guess. Kind of like a chemist without a degree in chemistry. But, what do I know. I was a dumb business guy and anybody can do that.

Hey there fellow Hokie! :smile:

Nice
icon14.gif

David,

I think a lot of folks have demonstrated how their degree and job don't really go hand in hand, but I think it would be really difficult to find a position in engeering without a degree in engeering. To me, it just sounds very technical as a profession. Just my guess. Kind of like a chemist without a degree in chemistry. But, what do I know. I was a dumb business guy and anybody can do that.

Yeah, but you're the "dumb business guy" who lives in a multimillion dollar condo in SF looking at picking up a Lambo to drive around in. To me, that's pretty damn good.

Seems like mechanical engineering is my calling. The math doesn't scare me away nor physics since I actually discovered I loved math in jr high, and physics in high school. I had just gotten lazy a year ago and strayed off in the opposite direction and tried to avoid the math. Now the math is in my way. Too bad I can't take the calculus classes 2 at a time because they build upon each other. Math isn't tough, I took two different math classes at the same time last semester and did just fine. I think I should be able to easily do 3.

I just need to get my life rolling in a decent direction. Going back into the air force as an O1-E doesn't seem like much of an option anymore when they're forcing out more and more people every year.

Back