• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

what kind of NSX can I build for $50k?

Take your $50k and buy a zanardi that will still be worth $50k (or maybe more) in 5 years vs your na1 w/ $50k invested that would sell for around $35-$37k...

This comment hurt a little. A few months back there was a ratty Zanardi floating around. It was going for a ridiculously low price because it was beat on, like $25k-$30k. I seriously considered it as a restore project. But then I figured it wasn't worth it. No matter how well I restored it, it had too much "documented" history on Prime for anyone to take it seriously. Not a good investment.

That was a mistake. It is almost everything I want, NA2 + coupe.

i dont think he's looking to "invest" in the NSX, and cars are the worse thing for doing an investment on!

the whole point of modding a car is to make it looks better, perform better, and more suitable for "you". there's no fun driving a stock car which "everyone" can buy from the dealership...:frown:
the problem is this hobby will hurt your wallet, but that smile on the face after you leave the shop with new parts is priceless!:biggrin:

I agree with this.

i dont think he's looking to "invest" in the NSX, and cars are the worse thing for doing an investment on!

the whole point of modding a car is to make it looks better, perform better, and more suitable for "you". there's no fun driving a stock car which "everyone" can buy from the dealership...:frown:
the problem is this hobby will hurt your wallet, but that smile on the face after you leave the shop with new parts is priceless!:biggrin:

And it's gonna take a bucket of parts to make a 20k na1 run with a zanardi... If you want to spend money just to spend it, that's fine. Its not a "stock car which "everyone" can buy from the dealership"...

And it's gonna take a bucket of parts to make a 20k na1 run with a zanardi... If you want to spend money just to spend it, that's fine. Its not a "stock car which "everyone" can buy from the dealership"...

maybe there's something special about the Zanardi i didnt know....:rolleyes:
isn't it the same as any 97-01 with type-s suspensions?:confused:
and i think zanardi is still going for 40k-45k now no?:frown: some guy even ask for 65k on autotrader.......

dont get me wrong, i still respect the Zanardi Edition and the 02+ car, i think those one should be untouched and leave it for the NSX Fan boy to have (unless one have a deep pocket to mod it) otherwise the Cheaper NA1 is the best way to go, for us "tuners" to UPDATE an old sports car for our own taste and standard!

Last edited:
maybe there's something special about the Zanardi i didnt know....:rolleyes:
isn't it the same as any 97-01 with type-s suspensions?:confused:
and i think zanardi is still going for 40k-45k now no?:frown: some guy even ask for 65k on autotrader.......

dont get me wrong, i still respect the Zanardi Edition and the 02+ car, i think those one should be untouched and leave it for the NSX Fan boy to have (unless one have a deep pocket to mod it) otherwise the Cheaper NA1 is the best way to go, for us "tuners" to UPDATE an old sports car for our own taste and standard!

The Zanardi is simply a NA2 coupe with some of the lightweight mods of the JDM Type-S. It shares the following with the Type-S:

Suspension/Sways
Single Pane Rear Glass
Small Battery
Lightweight Spoiler
Shift Knob
Manual Steering

It does not share these items:

Type-S Steering Wheel
Carbon/Kevlar Seats
NSX-R Mesh Engine Cover

So, it's kind of like an "almost Type-S". A NA1 Coupe with the Type-S suspension, short gears, weight reduction and light engine mods is going to be pretty close.

Caustic, I think you should stick with your NA2. One, because I have seen your car in person and it is gorgeous, and two, you have almost all the best NSX mods you need already in the car (2001 ABS, 3.2, 6-speed, NA2 frame). If you use STMPO front and rear bars and leave the top on, you will be close to coupe rigidity. With some weight reduction and a NSX-R style interior refresh (red carpets, DF seats), you'll have about the best NSX possible. You could always do the SOS 3.5 stroker if you wanted more power later too...

This is all really a big hypothetical. I'm not selling my 02, I have yet to get it back from Joe (Vince's Auto Body) with a nearly full visual NSX-R CF update. (Hopefully next week or 2? :biggrin:)

I just wondered to myself what would be possible if I wanted to make a car to track and street. And when the list got bigger and bigger, I figured Prime users might have a lot better input than what I was coming up with. Hence the post.

If there was a goal for the car, it would be to update the old tired pieces of a 91 to outperform an 05 in every way, to track it one or two weekends a month throughout the year, and take it to the beach and small road trips whenever. In that order.
How many track days have you done in your NSX or ever? Do you run in and consider yourself a beginner/intermediate/advanced driver?

So here is the breakdown:

25000 91 donor car

chassis You have a coupe which is A LOT stiffer than the targas. Many of the braces are not necessary (and most in the market probably don't do a whole lot if they do anything at all.
600 fcb - NOT NEEDED
600 fstb - NOT NEEDED
100 RSX-R lower chassis reinforcement - SURE but not needed
400 Carbing RSTB - NOT NEEDED
GET -
STMPO front chassis brace
STMPO rear aluminum bumper - greatly reduces weight and polar moment of car
Some sort of front aluminum bumper
NSX R WING - much lighter and gives you downforce!
Downforce Carbon fiber side intakes - MUCH lighter than the heavy stock ones
Lightweight battery
Remove spare tire -which is probably dry-rotted and cracked anyway
LIGHT WEIGHT SEATS - like Recaro Pole Positions

suspension
2400 KW v3 - YES
200 NSX-R anti sway f - I wouldn't
500 toe links - MAYBE
500 rear beam bushings - MAYBE
200 front clamps - SURE
The front non-compliance brace is a good idea but not completely necessary. I would opt for the street/track swaybars from Dali racing which have a higher spring rate

brakes
2000 NA2 ABS upgrade - YES
2100 stoptech front - NOT NECESSARY
3300 stoptech rear + ebrake - NOT NECESSARY
Just get good pads, ss lines, and high temp fluid.

I/H/E
50 uni filter - SURE
260 big bore throttle body - NO
1500 headers - YES
600 hfc - What is this?
1500 Taitec GTLW - SURE
900 engine mounts f+r+s - JUST FILL F&R WITH POLYURETHANE
270 timing belt - YES
500 hoses - YES
700 harmonic balancer - YES
Gut intake manifold

drivetrain
2500 OS Giken differential + gears - YES
1700 SoS Sport Clutch - SURE
It's been a debate with some but I HIGHLY recommend the JDM "Short" gear ratios for almost every driver and track combo. The OS Giken LSD chatters a lot if you don't soften it up by adjusting the preload and clutch plate configuration before you install it but if you do it can be very streetable. While its not necessary, if you plan on this being a track/weekend toy I would do it for peak performance. The 4.06 is good for low rpm when cruising but the 4.40 will haul butt and give you much better performance at the sacrifice of rpm on the freeway

wheels
2500 Advan RS - YES
1000 Dunlop Star Spec - YES or Yoko AD08s

Total: Not sure
The main components to beat an NSX-R, Type-S, Zanardi are:

Gear Ratios
17x8 front, 18x9.5 (or 17x9.5) wheels with 235/275 sticky tires!
KW V3 Coilovers
I/H/E
Light weight - remove spare tire, light battery, aluminum crash bumpers, carbon wing and side inlets, SEATS

It's really not that difficult to make a NSX outhandle a 02 or even an R, you just have to beat the car in power, gearing, tire, and weight which can be done by the above.

How many track days have you done in your NSX or ever? Do you run in and consider yourself a beginner/intermediate/advanced driver?

None. I think I'm awesome.

Seriously though, I've never stepped on a track. My plan is to change that asap.

Back