• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

What kind of water in coolant system?

I've always used distilled water to mix with my antifreeze but now that I have a Reverse osmosis system in my home it would be much more convenient to use that water.

Is it better to use distilled or the RO water or does it matter?

The RO water will still contain minerals but it's such a small concentration that it won't make a difference. Given the choice I would use whatever was most convenient. If you're the totally anal type, stick with distilled.

What's more important is that you have the proper concentration of anti-freeze to water when the system is re-filled.

LOL Hugh.... there he goes again... :smile:

Hal, lets just say Hugh and I have a bit of differing opinion on this one. I would absolutely use the RO water as it is probably the best you will get. I don't recommend distilled water. If you can weed through the personal insults there is a good thread on this here. I wrote a fairly long post on this one about midway into the thread:

http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showpost.php?p=686276&postcount=70

The whole thread here:

http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=75030

I have done a lot of research into this very subject, I am not talking out my ass. Your reverse osmosis water with a bit of coolant should be perfect. That water is chemicaly stable as well as mineral free.

Make sure you add some of this

fluid-redline-water-wetter-1-200.jpg

Armando

Briank said:
I don't know why what kind of water to use is an issue.

I just use the Honda pre-mixed "type 2" Pour it in and go, no mixing and it's the only antifreeze brand you should use in your NSX.

same here, i buy my coolant water from dealer only. the color is blue and its pre-mixed.

Briank said:

I just use the Honda pre-mixed "type 2" Pour it in and go, no mixing and it's the only antifreeze brand you should use in your NSX.

I have to ask Brian:tongue: , Where does the water come from in the mix? I have always wondered. If I use the RO or distilled water and mix it with the straight Honda coolant I never have to worry:biggrin: .

I just remebered, my RO intake comes from my water softner, I don't think I can go wrong using that. I live where it gets darn cold in the winter so a 50/50 mix is prudent. If I lived in S. Cal or Yuma I would mix it 70/30.

Hal_396 said:
I have to ask Brian:tongue: , Where does the water come from in the mix? I have always wondered. If I use the RO or distilled water and mix it with the straight Honda coolant I never have to worry:biggrin: ..

Water? I don't know where is comes from, Mt Fuji :wink: I would guess it would be d-ionized water AKA RO water it's the easiest and cheapest to make. Only pre-mix type 2 is available so mixing your own will difficult.

Hal_396 said:
I just remebered, my RO intake comes from my water softner, I don't think I can go wrong using that. I live where it gets darn cold in the winter so a 50/50 mix is prudent. If I lived in S. Cal or Yuma I would mix it 70/30.

Briank said:

That's definitely the safest way to go since Type 2 is silicate free which is very important in an aluminum engine and it is diluted with distilled water from the factory.

Back