• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

What Motorcycle you ride?

11k no tire change or chain adjust? Did I get that correct? Unreal! Tires details?

Someday Europe on two wheels! Done 4 few times...

Unbelievable, I know. Needing a tire replacement in the Yukon territory or farther north (which including the round trip is a substantial ~3k miles) can become a serious problem - shipping tires to anchorage, for example, is often 4-6 weeks. I considered shipping tires to anchorage before the trip but decided to wing it which was obviously the right choice. What's even more amazing is the stress I put the tires under. I did some "very" high speeds for extended periods of time and averaged 500 miles a day on the days I rode. Their grip levels were great as well, I am not exaggerating when I say I did at least 200 long sweepers at over 100mph during the trip. In addition, between some less developed roads in Alaska and the Alaskan Highway through western Canada, I probably did 300-400 miles of gravel on those tires as well. They were some bridgestone tires, the P.O. put them on a few hundred miles prior to my purchasing the bike. I put another 500 miles on them before leaving on the trip as well (bought the bike in Dallas and rode it home for starters).

Those tires you see in the pictures are the same tires I took on the trip so they actually have about 13k miles on them at that time. The front tire is warped/cupped a bit but nothing dangerous.

I did do a good job of cleaning the chain and checked tire pressure religiously considering I was on the road but that is correct, no adjustment. I had no center stand so I had a place in Calgary (3k miles in) check it out - no adjustment necessary. I had another place in Northern California check it out on the return trip and they said they could tighten it but it was still in spec and could probably make it back to Texas no problem. I was in a hurry so I just went as is. That's a 200hp machine to boot! Stock chain/sprockets.

Last edited:
I have to use past tense because after our first child was born we agreed no more bikes for me. Way too risky with kids who depend on you so I have no problem hanging up my jacket/helmet until the kids get older.

But I've been riding safely for over 15+ years starting with F3's, F4', 954RR, six R1's over the years and more recently Hayabusa's which is my favorite bike. Always wanted a Harley but friends say I'm too skinny to ride one...haha

I won't spam this page with all my bikes but this is my favorite two bikes:

IMG_4610.jpg

IMG_0100.jpg

@sahtt : I am definitely going to get in touch if I plan to do similar ride. I assume you got a hard compound in the middle.

@s4play : nice bikes, I am biased to R1. Skinny for Harley and Busa is smaller? I am missing something :)

Last edited:
Ha'ha! Yes, and I am usually on my way to the gym at 4:00 AM! :D Also, I've had my yard torn-up most of last summer replacing my pool so I'm guessing it's not going to look too pretty this year... :(

Here's what it usually looks like in the summer:
DSC06940.jpg

That picture is so fine. Yellow on greenlawn, ummmm-mmmn.

@sahtt : I am definitely going to get in touch if I plan to do similar ride. I assume you got a hard compound in the middle.

@s4play : nice bikes, I am biased to R1. Skinny for Harley and Busa is smaller? I am missing something :)

Busa is sporty so works with my AlpineStars jacket and sporty boots!

Harley I need a beard and a leather vest plus a shiny wheel cap helmet :) (oh and probably at least another 40lbs)

my old post in this thread is broken for some reason so here goes again: sv650s in streetfighter trim (pics before aprilia mirrors and holeshot highmount exhaust)

8930_623199396356_2534097_n.jpg

8930_623199441266_6096497_n.jpg

Anyone have one of the New BMW SportBikes thinking of picking one up used this session.

I have not owned one but I considered picking up the first year model (2010 I think) when the second year models came out. They hold their value quite well and so far reliability seems reasonable. Several people have run into the typical BMW electrical quirks but so far the drive train has held up amazingly well given it is BMW's first try in this market and they started off with the most powerful 1000cc engine the street bike market has ever seen. I really want to ride one to see just how menacing it is in the upper RPMS's. That being said, ol' Honda's CBR1000RR weighs less and makes more power and more torque below about 6 grand if I am not mistaken. I rarely take my RC51 over 7500rpms (red line is ~11k) buzzing around town and I ride like a madman. I'd take the 08+ CBR over the S1000RR unless you really like the BMW for non performance/reliability reasons. The 08 CBR's, FYI, had some engine issues that were corrected or the 2009 MY. I'd already have a 2009/10 1000RR but they haven't come down in price enough yet.

They have a few BMWs at the specialty auction local to me. I think I may get one if the price is right. If not I may just pick up another older GSX-R I miss my 04.

PICT0002-1.jpg

Here is my latest purchase. It's a 1966 Dream 305. Runs like a top. You can't beat a Honda (even a 47 year old Honda).

I don't get out much these days but when I do... It's always a " Great Emotion " :biggrin:

GSXR 1000 K3 in it's tenth season.

Attachments

• DR Mullholland.jpg
    DR Mullholland.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 257
I ride 2006 Honda "Big Ruckus"

Back