• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

What regrets do you have?

If you had the chance to do it all over again, that is, purchase your nsx, what would you do different? if anything?

Second question: are there any mods you have done that you wish you hadn't?

I'd probably save for an extra year and get a newer one, maybe a 97-99 instead of my 95. If I were extremely lucky, the new NSX would emerge and I might have a chance to put a down payment on that instead. Or not, it might be ugly. :)

Really, though, I'm pretty happy. My power needs are minimal, so having a 5-speed 3.0 instead of a 6-speed 3.2 doesn't matter much to me. I think if it did I'd have more regrets about not waiting.

I haven't really made any mods, except for tinting the windows. If I had that to do over, I might go lighter (maybe 50% instead of 35%). Still looks pretty damned cool, though.

i would have done more research on the price and saved alot of money

second i would have gone with the marga hills side steps instead of the lechers

Hello all.

I have been lurking here for at least the last two years. This is the first site I check when I get home from work, and I usually give it a check on before I log off at night. I have been saving to purchase a NSX with low miles for about that long.

Now I have seen several of the more senior members advise to get an 97+ when this question comes up. Now I have read all of the FAQS, even have a hard copy file of them in my desk. Can you guys list what it is in particular about the 97+ for me?

I am trying to decide whether to go ahead and buy a 91 to 95 that is in very good shape... or hold out and get the 97+. This might sound weird but I would like to keep my car payment and insurance combined about $500 per month. I just hate payments for some reason... and no one seems to want to just give one away. Originally I was looking to spend about $40k at the absolute tops... half of that I have saved up already for a down payment.

Should I really put this off another year for the newer model?

Any responses are appreciated.

btw... anyone on this board in NW Arkansas? Not far from where I live is a house with two red NSXs in the carport. just curious.

Thanks,

OMEGA:confused:

If I had to do it all over, I would go for the manual. I have pretty solid reasons for sticking with the auto, but going for the 03, I should have just done the 6-speed (*or* gone with a 99 F355 F1, but that's a whole 'nother can of worms :D )

OMEGA said:
Hello all.

Now I have seen several of the more senior members advise to get an 97+ when this question comes up. Now I have read all of the FAQS... Can you guys list what it is in particular about the 97+ for me?
You must not have read ALL the FAQ's! 97+ has the 3.2 liter and 6 speed. You would have found that here.

On the 6th day of ownership, I wouldn't have taken my NSX to lunch.

That's when I got rear-ended by a Ford truck. Aside from that I have no regrets :D

I know own an '01 NSX, but a year before a '95. My greatest regret was buying the '95. The private party was not honest about the car and I later found out it had frame damage. When I traded it in for the '01 I took a big hit in terms of the trade in value. I also spent alot of money modding the '95.

If I had to do it all over, I would just get the '01 from the start. However, the '95 taught me what not to do to my NSX in terms of mods, and I have transferred that knowledge to my '01.

I wouldn't have bought my Mustang, and instead use the money to buy a 97+ NSX coupe. (Like many others, I didn't realize the NSX was within my financial grasp until after purchasing another vehicle.)

OMEGA said:
Hello all.

I am trying to decide whether to go ahead and buy a 91 to 95 that is in very good shape... or hold out and get the 97+.

I may be going against the grain here, but I specifically wanted a pre-96 coupe because

1. It's lighter than the T-roof and has much better rigidity.

2. It has manual steering, which I think feels better in most circumstances (parallel parking excluded!).

3. The money I saved paid for a bunch of mods I wanted -- though now that I've had the car so long, and made so MANY mods, this becomes a moot point!

4. Doing the Japanese gears in a 5-speed is almost as good as having the 6-speed, except at highest highway speeds and on the track (both infrequent for me).

I've carefully researched all my mods and love most of them -- especially the Comptech SC, the Japanese gears, and the Davis Racing clutch. I like the sound of the RM exhaust (made by TriFlo), but it's too loud, not well engineered, and not well fabricated (I'm on my fourth, though to RM and TriFlo's credit, they've replaced/repaired all under warranty).

Yes I know about the 3.2, 6speed, and everything else. I am just trying to get more information from the people that are saying they wish they had waited and bought the newer version.

Diferently - not a thing. I purchased in 11/97 my 91 and have loved every mile. Got her from a doctor with 20k on the clock for 32,500 before it hit the sunday paper in Austin (they used to post on the web site before the paper went to print!). It was in snap ring range but was otherwise in great shape and well maintained.

Since then? I would have found a quality independent mechanic locally sooner instead of pouring thousands of dollars into my local dealer's pockets.

Mods differently. So far the only ones I have regretted are when I just did the H&R springs (too low and too bouncy) and painting the calipers red (the paint does not stand up at the track).

IMO - by a 91 w/ low miles, get headers, exhaust, chip, airbox, swaybars, aero rotors, brake lines, HID, bilsteins shocks, eibach springs, remove some weight, and the newer style wheels - and you will damn near have have the look - power - ride - and feel of a NSX-Z at 1/2 the price.

Good luck!

I have been leaning that direction. The targa top in not a "must have" for me. I am also planning on going with the comptech sc and doing the h/e and maybe a couple of other performace mods. No exterior changes unless I am unhappy with the wheels.

I am have been thinking about the 93+ because of the passenger side air bag. Getting engaged and didn't want to be selfish. :)

for *me*, getting a third car toy, the early model made the most sense. Would love to have the 3.2 and six speed---but not enough difference to pay the bigger bucks.

HOWEVER, there are many days i wish i had the targa top.

As already noted, the differences are minor between the years.

I personally wouldnt spring for the late models right now, until i had a better idea of what revisions (if any) Honda is considering.

Whatever you do, Its all good!! :)

OMEGA said:
The targa top in not a "must have" for me.
huckster said:
HOWEVER, there are many days i wish i had the targa top.
When I got my NSX, I didn't really care about the targa top. I got one simply because that's what I ended up buying.

A week ago Friday was the first time I felt like it was warm/sunny enough in the Seattle area to try taking off the targa top.

Ever since, I am pissed off on every day that I have to put it back on.

:)

I regret the tree branch falling on my car and busting it up. I also regret the stupid kids that vandalized it. Other than that.. I love it :)

I guess my real only regret is not having a garage for this baby.

One more regret... I regret driving Luds car... made mine feel REALLY slow :)

I'm with spookyp and would have waited for a manual. The car was too good, the price was right and I didn't have a chance.
Other than that, no regrets. I've just changed my expectations for the car, flashy cruiser instead of track terror.

I regret............. not buying a NSX sooner!!!!!!!!!! :p
Z

Originally posted by hlweyl
If you had the chance to do it all over again, that is, purchase your nsx, what would you do different? if anything?

Well, I could say that I'd rather have a '97+... but I had 4,000 track miles on my '91 by the time the '97 came out, and I wouldn't have had those had I waited. :D So no, no regrets.

Originally posted by hlweyl
are there any mods you have done that you wish you hadn't?

Yes, a K&N cone filter, which I have since restored to stock.

Re: Re: What regrets do you have?

nsxtasy said:
Well, I could say that I'd rather have a '97+... but I had 4,000 track miles on my '91 by the time the '97 came out, and I wouldn't have had those had I waited. :D So no, no regrets.
Quit rubbing it in, Ken! :)
nsxtasy said:
Yes, a K&N cone filter, which I have since restored to stock.
How come?

Back