• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

What should my Occupation be, so I can earn an NSX?

It's been awhile since I last posted a topic, but I always come on this board to see what you guys discuss...Basically I know one has to make good money to own an NSX, and as a College kid, I wonder what is good field to enter? Anyone have any suggestions, or advice? I'm close to earning an AA, and will be transferring to a University soon as Info Sys major...But not sure if I like it too much...

------------------
One day at a time...

akira will back me on this 1! 3D ARTIST!
biggrin.gif

------------------
me want NSX, me 16 (no license yet), me no have NSX =( but me do 3d art http://members.home.com/mcudich

Choose something you like to do, and become very very good at it. If you're good at it, you'll do well in that field - maybe well enough to drive an NSX. Remember, the used ones aren't all that expensive.

There's no point spending 40 (or 60 or 80) hours a week doing something you don't like, just so that you can drive a car you like.

Heck yeah, be a 3D Artist like me and make video games.

And if you lack social skills, be a game programmer instead. hehehehehe =)

------------------
tams1593.JPG

1995 NSX-T
1997 Integra GS-R 4-dr
1999 3.2TL

[This message has been edited by FuryNSX (edited 27 January 2001).]

Most of the younger people in the exotic car circles that I know (present company included) are in the technology industry... either in an I/S department or working for a software or hardware company.

It may have something to do with stock options. :)

EDR
91 Black/Ivory #3012

I hear there is great money in organized crime
smile.gif

Seriously though, Computers and Electronics seem to be the way of the future. The Semiconductor industry is strong, but whatever you enjoy is your ideal career.

Good money management will get you up to the 30~40K you need for an older NSX faster than you might think. The key is making more money than you spend. So adjust the spending to a minimum and worry a little less about the amount of money you are making.

I can't really talk, I still haven't aquired my X, but I will within the next 2-3 years. After experiencing an NSX first hand...there is nothing else to compare to it.

I'd like to dispel the idea that you need some hot job to buy a car like the NSX. All you really need is a dream and discipline.

I fell in love with this car when it first appeared in '91. Right away, I knew this was the car for me. But I'm not some hot-shot graphic artist or dot-com dude -- just a working guy.

So I worked. And I saved. And I invested. And I was patient. The old saying of "good things come to those who wait" applies here. A modest lifestyle combined with agressive saving and investing (and a happy five years in the stock market). Eight years it took, and last April I plunked down the money for my '94.

It's all been worth it.

-Bob ('94 #496)

I cash advanced 4 credit cards to buy my baby! The power of plastic!!! Just joking. Besides picking a career that you will love, try and find one that is also in demand. There are a lot of interesting things you can study, but you won't find most of those jobs in the Sunday classifieds. I love picking up the paper and seeing 15-20 jobs in my field. Make me feel a little more secure in this crazy world we live in.

Oracle Software Developer

[This message has been edited by James Cruz (edited 29 January 2001).]

You guys have made some great points! I would actually like to get into graphic design/web develpor......So I guess I'll try to steer myself into that direction...But like someone pointed out earlier, the job that I seek I hope will be in demand...I'm not sure if Graphic design or Web developing will be in such demand when I get out of College (May of 2003)......Anyway, I'll just keep my fingers crossed that everything will work out, and that one day I'll have my NSX!

As M5150 said, I'm a 3D artist / animator. And like FuryNSX, I make video games.

I personally know four others in the game industry with NSXs (a coworker included). And I'll bet all of our parents thought we were wasting our time playing games in our youth.

FuryNSX, what company do YOU work for? And where in SoCal?

One more thing...I may not be a programmer, but I do lack social skills!
wink.gif

------------------
--akira3D ('00 NSX-T red/black #113)
"Reality is better than the dream..."

akira3d.com/nsx

BAH!!!! sorry guys, but I dont know squat about web design etc....

I will tell you this: there are 4 kinds of people in the economic food chain.

1) The employee...this person wants the security if a paycheck..to know his or her job will be there..etc...also they are the people who work the hardest for the least ammount of money.

2) The self employed person....this person might have a little bit more drive, and or skill...earning them a little bit more money...but the problem is they are the system..if they get sick or stop working...no moore money comes in.

3) The third type of person is the business owner...this person owns a system that the employees and self employed people use and work for to make them money. You see the system works on its own with usualy little involvement from the owner...yet it is the owner who makes the most money....except for the next guy.

4) AHHHH it is lonely at the top...(but you eat better) The top of the economic food chain is the investor...this is the person whom has his or her money work for them..they invest in the start up and expansion of business...thereby doing the least ammount of work for the most ammount or money compared to everyone else..(all they did was sign their check)

So I ask you...which catagory do you want to be in? I tell you I prefer passive income (income you dont have to work for) versus earned income..

And by the way it DOES NOT TAKE MONEY TO MAKE MONEY.......(thats what the investors are for
wink.gif
)

Mattchu: "The employee...this person wants the security IF a paycheck..." Was the "if" a Freudian Slip
smile.gif
?

Gotta agree with nsxtasy, hands down the best advice I could give to anyone is:

"Choose something you like to do, and become very very good at it. If you're good at it, you'll do well in that field"

The IT (and related graphics/creative sibling fields) are great platforms for the above philosophy.

And Mattchu, me being in your #3 category, you may be missing the point of the endless efforts related. While over the last 15 years my IT company has grown into a rather large international organization, I still sweat as many (or more) hours a week as I ever did.

So besides the golden point made by nsxtasy above, I can only think of two other sobering facts:

a) One's perceived financial needs tend to outgrow whatever the income is.

I.e.: at 20k one dreams of how cool things would be if they made 30k.
At 100k one dreams of how cool things would be if they made 150k.
At 1mil, one dreams of how cool things would be if they made 1.5mil.

b) Someone once said: "Show me the world's most beautiful woman, and I'll show you a guy who is tired of f*ng her". Read whatever life lesson you want into that.

Oh well, off the soapbox now.

Ralph

[This message has been edited by rquintero (edited 31 January 2001).]

I must apologise...my brain does not coordinate well with my fingers sometimes...I meant if to be of....

Now RQINTERO....you say you are in the #3 catagory..a business owner...you know I had the exact same gripe about my home building business...I kept saying "Dammitt I am working too hard!" I kept saying to myself...make the system work for me..dont work for the system..over and ovaer...untill finally I realised theat if I hired 2 more people to do the job I was doing, twice the work could be done freeing up my time to do other things. Now that sounds like a simple fix..it wasnt that easy, but I think if you really for lets say the next 3 weeks, tried to look at your company as how could it run without your day to day involvement...you might be supprised....only I see one major hurdle for most people, that I myself had to get over...putting my trust into other poeople.

good luck.....

[This message has been edited by mattchu (edited 03 February 2001).]

Now hearing of all the lay-offs of the .com workers, and the fall of the .com's is making me wonder if I should stick to what I'm learning.......I'm starting to think earning a business degree would probably be the best thing, because I think it would be really versatile....Any way, I will get my NSX one day.....Ok, now off the 7-11 to buy lotto numbers....
smile.gif

akira3d,

Sorry I didn't get back sooner. I didn't know they moved this topic to a new forum. Anyways, I'm down here in Del Mar @ RedZone Interactive. Aren't you at Naughty Dog? Did you guys get bought recently?

------------------
tams1593.JPG

1995 NSX-T
1997 Integra GS-R 4-dr
1999 3.2TL

Back