• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

What to get to replace an M5?

What to get to replace a M5?

I have commented in a couple of threads before that I was considering getting rid of my 02 BMW M5 in order to get something that I don't have to worry about as much. I use it as my every day driver to and from work and I HATE to put miles on a car like this. Because of using her for work, I don't get to drive her and enjoy her like I should so I would rather get something that I don't have to worry about as much. (Plus the cost of moving into a new home is killing me:wink: )

What should I get in it's place? I like the Infiniti M series or G series, but the model I like for each is rear wheel drive. I am worried that if it snows, I will be stuck. I have driven the TL, but it doesn't quite have the punch that the Infinit has and I can't stand the torque steer. Any other reasonable cars you can think of that have a little get up and go?

Last edited:
Re: Looking for a M5??? What to get in its place???

Infiniti makes a G35x model which is AWD. I believe it comes in a 6spd as well...might be an option for you. (Of course, it's the 4-door only).

Consider audi...most/all of their cars are awd.

MB E320 CDI...?
210 hp
369 tq
Not as quick as the M, but lots of tourqe you can feel.
PLUS 37 mpg on the hgwy.
(you can also get 4matic)
I was about to get one, but the Audi guys gave me a deal I couldnt pass up.
(A6 3.2 255hp 243 tq (quattro for your snow))
Almost every car in this segment has available AWD.

I've been driving RWD cars in Minnesota snow for 6 years now, and have never once gotten stuck. As long as you have good A\S tires and know how to handle rear-wheel in inclemental weather, it's not a problem.

I've driven all of Infiniti's new models except the Q (dealer didn't have one yet), and the M45 was my favorite by far, then the M35, then the G35 and G35 coupe. It's not that the G35 isn't a great car, it just isn't quite up to the M35\45, I don't think.

If you're worried about RWD, the M35x is AWD as well, and like Dr.Volkl said, the G35x is AWD.

nchopp said:
I've been driving RWD cars in Minnesota snow for 6 years now, and have never once gotten stuck. As long as you have good A\S tires and know how to handle rear-wheel in inclemental weather, it's not a problem.

I've driven all of Infiniti's new models except the Q (dealer didn't have one yet), and the M45 was my favorite by far, then the M35, then the G35 and G35 coupe. It's not that the G35 isn't a great car, it just isn't quite up to the M35\45, I don't think.

If you're worried about RWD, the M35x is AWD as well, and like Dr.Volkl said, the G35x is AWD.
True, but I believe both the G and M when getting the AWD are only available with the auto tranny-:wink:

nchopp said:

That is nice to know that you live in MN and have rear wheel drive with no problems. For the M sport models that have 245/40 R19 wheels on them. Could I just slap a few snow tires on those or do I have to get all new wheels?

For the G35's, here is my problem. I love the look of the exterior of the G's, but only the coupe. I need a four door for my baby, but don't like the looks of the G35 sedans which is the only model for the AWD. Also, the G doesn't hold a candle to the M models features, nav, interior, sound, etc.

For the M's, I like the look of the wheels and suspension on the sport model which only comes in RWD. The M35x is the only AWD, but has ugly wheels. I think the sport is my choice, but it looks like I will wait till I get rid of my car myself after the trade in figures I just got. :rolleyes:

keep it and buy a cheap beater. i have 95 plymouth grand voyager SE that i love!!!! (Yes its a minivan) I can take all the seats out and fit an entire side by side refrig in it!!!!!!!!!!!!! i love to valet park it at the clubs here:biggrin: get your moneys worth out of the bmw, luxury cars are just to expensive to be flippin every year or 2. They have a new model now and 02 m5 comes with a box of cereal now:biggrin: . Buy a 2 to 3k beater and drive it, then when you have bad weather or need to pick up something for that new house you don't have to worry about damage or messing it up. i always keep a pimp ride and a complete beater to roll everyday. The m5 is very nice and you seem to be happy with it, so keep it and buy a cheap everyday car.

hey jlindy =)
i got this 1990 crx with custom dent's that just dying to be driven =)
asking price $10000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000,000 =)

haha in all seriousness perhaps you might consider the G35 =)
just drive in reverse if it snows =) just as good as FWD :biggrin:

We talking new replacement or used? How about an Audi RS4? If I am not mistaken their price point might be below the M5 when they come out later this year, but with about 420hp, not too shabby.

S8?

NSXrunner said:
We talking new replacement or used? How about an Audi RS4? If I am not mistaken their price point might be below the M5 when they come out later this year, but with about 420hp, not too shabby.

The RS4 is awesome and while it is below the new M5 sticker price of 90k, the new sticker price of the 2002 M5 was 75k not to mention it's worth now. I wish I could afford it though. :biggrin:

DeNguyen said:
I was looking into possibly buying an M5. What are your biggest complaints about the car?

My biggest complaint probably doesn't apply to your area of the country, but if it snows I am out of luck with big wide tires and RWD. I do wish it had more aesthetic separation from the other 5 series on the road. At a quick glance, you may not be able to tell the difference from the standard 5 series until you step on the gas and hear the exhaust note. DVD Nav vs. CD Nav would be nice but you can upgrade that. It really is a nice package of power and luxury because everything is standard on these cars.

jlindy said:
My biggest complaint probably doesn't apply to your area of the country, but if it snows I am out of luck with big wide tires and RWD. I do wish it had more aesthetic separation from the other 5 series on the road. At a quick glance, you may not be able to tell the difference from the standard 5 series until you step on the gas and hear the exhaust note. DVD Nav vs. CD Nav would be nice but you can upgrade that. It really is a nice package of power and luxury because everything is standard on these cars.

You bought the M5 new? Even if you didn't buy it new, you took a hit on depreciation on a high end luxuary car... now you might as well drive it and get maximum enjoyment out of it. Unless of course u'd like to allocate the money else where or want to get a car with better gas mileage. What else do you worry about besides putting miles on it? I'd imagine that the warranty has ended and I've heard those cars can be quite expensive to maintain. That would probably be my top concern.

G35s are a pretty nice car, but they're a dime a dozen now and they don't match the quality of a german car imo. I was never a huge fan of the look of the 4dr, but the slight redesign last year does make it look a lot better. New tail lights and front bumper i think. There's also a factory kit that makes it looks pretty aggressive.

jlindy said:
I do wish it had more aesthetic separation from the other 5 series on the road. At a quick glance, you may not be able to tell the difference from the standard 5 series until you step on the gas and hear the exhaust note.

I dont think so, there is alot to tell about the M5. You have the 4 exhaust tips in the back which is very easy to tell it is an M5. The front spoiler is a giveaway. Plus, dont forget the trunk lip too. And the Lemans Blue and the Imola Red color were the unique colors on that 5 Series as well.

Just my .02

I now drive an 05 Audi S4 6 speed and I love it. Not as much fun as my old M3 or EVo....but very hot over all.

5inchfatlip said:
E430 Sport or E55...same goes if you want a coupe with a CLK...too many G35's on the road for me....

How does going from an M5 to an E55 help him solve his problem? If he wants a rear drive high performance sedan with a ton of power, he already has that. If he needs something for the snow, the E55 is not the answer.

How about an AWD GS300?

Re: What to get to replace a M5?

jlindy said:
I have commented in a couple of threads before that I was considering getting rid of my 02 BMW M5 in order to get something that I don't have to worry about as much. I use it as my every day driver to and from work and I HATE to put miles on a car like this. Because of using her for work, I don't get to drive her and enjoy her like I should so I would rather get something that I don't have to worry about as much. (Plus the cost of moving into a new home is killing me:wink: )

What should I get in it's place? I like the Infiniti M series or G series, but the model I like for each is rear wheel drive. I am worried that if it snows, I will be stuck. I have driven the TL, but it doesn't quite have the punch that the Infinit has and I can't stand the torque steer. Any other reasonable cars you can think of that have a little get up and go?

This may sound simple....but that is because it is. Chill about the car, and just enjoy it. Simple as that.

Worrying about a car all the time gets you nothing but an ulcer and out of whack paranoia...trust me, I used to be that way until a few years back when I realized there is more to life than worrying about a car. Plus, the M5 is an AMAZING vehicle, and any time behind the wheel should be treated as a gift because it is. So unless you just want to sell it because of the expense of your new house (which is a perfectly valid reason), kick back and enjoy the ride. Drive it every day and thank your lucky stars you are in a position to do so. ;)

Phaeton W12. Comes with AWD and 444hp. I have one great car, Bentley quality at A really good price.

Meeyatch1 said:
This may sound simple....but that is because it is. Chill about the car, and just enjoy it. Simple as that.

Worrying about a car all the time gets you nothing but an ulcer and out of whack paranoia...trust me, I used to be that way until a few years back when I realized there is more to life than worrying about a car. Plus, the M5 is an AMAZING vehicle, and any time behind the wheel should be treated as a gift because it is. So unless you just want to sell it because of the expense of your new house (which is a perfectly valid reason), kick back and enjoy the ride. Drive it every day and thank your lucky stars you are in a position to do so. ;)

Every day you are alive is a special occasion.

jlindy said:
That is nice to know that you live in MN and have rear wheel drive with no problems. For the M sport models that have 245/40 R19 wheels on them. Could I just slap a few snow tires on those or do I have to get all new wheels?

Unfortunately, snow tires don't come any bigger than 18s, I don't think. But really, I've never needed actual snow tires, even with RWD. I've always just had good all season tires, and been fine. :) Even in the middle of Minnesota blizzards - good tires make all the difference.

As much as I love the M5 and what it can do, I just never got attached to it like the NSX I had. I know you all can understand, but it just felt more me so while house expense is one reason and miles on it for work is another, it just comes down to preference. It's an amazing car, but I guess I am ready to try something different.

Meeyatch1 said:

Innie or outtie?

Reprise:

- You have a high-perf. sports-sedan, though desired to be seasonal/leisure
- You like the V8 RWD versions of the Infiniti M & Lexus GS, not the 6-cyl. AWD versions
- You want to omit high perf. RWD offerings due to winter-climate

Obvious answer:

AUDI Quattro S-line

Audi: refined, imported sports-sedans that are sophisticated & feel solid
Quattro: class leader in AWD
S-line: additional styling & performance enhancements over base models (not S, though).

Audi A6 S-Line (also A3 S-line and A4 S-line offered)

Re: Innie or outtie?

Osiris_x11 said:
Reprise:

- You have a high-perf. sports-sedan, though desired to be seasonal/leisure
- You like the V8 RWD versions of the Infiniti M & Lexus GS, not the 6-cyl. AWD versions
- You want to omit high perf. RWD offerings due to winter-climate

Obvious answer:

AUDI Quattro S-line

Audi: refined, imported sports-sedans that are sophisticated & feel solid
Quattro: class leader in AWD
S-line: additional styling & performance enhancements over base models (not S, though).

Audi A6 S-Line (also A3 S-line and A4 S-line offered)

Funny you say that because I looked at Audi today. The S4 was 60K.:eek: The slow A6 was still 52k too which is very pricey for my taste.

Back