• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

What type of thread sealant do you use?

I'm wondering what type of thread sealant you guys use? It seems a lot of people use the generic thread tape, but the market seems so saturated with brands that I'm not sure which is cheap stuff and which is good quality high temp stuff.

To clarify, I would be using this on fittings that come in contact with oil (oil temp / pressure sensors) and also areas that come in contact with coolant.

On my recent rebuild, I used Loctite 5452 on most everything, but then found that is has a max temp of 300F. Our cars can easily get that hot, so I'm waiting to see how it holds up on the race track.

Also, I used it on a coolant temp sensor, and found it leaked a bit after getting to around 230F. This is no good. I contacted Loctite, and they said that "coolant can be harsh on pretty much any of our products" so they recommended Loctite 554 which is a refrigerant sealant and "does stand up to most coolants. However its temperature resistance is just as good as the 5452 at 300F. This is a continuous temp rating so it can go slightly higher for short periods of time."

What are your experiences with thread sealants? Thanks for any suggestions or advice.

Mike B

I just poked around on McMaster. Loctite 567 is rated to 400F. And they have X-Pando, which is rated to 1000F. They also have "Key Graphite", rated to 750F and specifically for petroleum systems. Seems like one of those (or some other on there) could work well.

I used ARP PTFE paste on my engine rebuild. It's rated for gas, coolant, etc for up to 550F. No leaks so far.

Permatex PTFE paste seems to be a little higher-rated though.

Dave

Great suggestions, thanks guys.

I used ARP PTFE paste on my engine rebuild. It's rated for gas, coolant, etc for up to 550F. No leaks so far.

Permatex PTFE paste seems to be a little higher-rated though.

Dave

That sounds promising Dave, I'll take a look into those. It's good to hear you have good experience with the ARP PTFE.

Mike B

Back