• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Whats higher, NSX payment or Rent?

Is your NSX payment more $$ than your rent\mortgage?

• Yes - NSX costs more and I don't care!!!

Votes: 14 16.5%
  • NO!!! - My residence costs more like my accountant advised!

Votes: 71 83.5%

• Total voters
Wow, that highrise is pretty sweet! It really "elevates" that home's value, in my opinion.

I lived in Franklin (just south of Nashville) for 10 years, so I have PC permission to make jokes about silly TN backwoods homes. Kinda like Seinfeld is Jewish, and can therefore make Jewish jokes...

Actually, many homes in Franklin and the surrounding areas are quite nice...

Jason

dougjgreen said:
Hey Ken, I agree with you COMPLETELY on this one. I find it rather astonishing that people are dropping $30-50K on a 2nd hand sports car, no matter how outstanding it is, before they are building up some net worth. It's a rather childish proposition, from a financial standpoint.

Although I usually agree with your perspective, I do want to mention that no one has mentioned their net worth in this thread. Renting does not necessarily mean one is being financially irresponsible.

That comment wasn't based predominantly on THIS thread. It was based on some earlier threads in which lots of NSX buyers have talked about how far they had to extend themselves to get an NSX, and how they felt that they needed to live for the present.

Oh, and BTW, while renting per se doesn't mean that someone is being financially irresponsible, renting a home while buying a $50K sports car on credit pretty much DOES mean that, in the U.S., given the huge tax incentives on mortgage loans vs. other types of loans. As I showed, the fact is, if one establishes home equity, the cost of borrowing against one's home equity to buy a car is FAR lower than taking out a car loan.

Effectively, the cost of borrowing $40K against home equity is 30 -50% less in the U.S. than borrowing $40K for a straight car loan, depending upon one's tax situation - and that's assuming the SAME base interest rate, while home mortgage rates are presently much lower (and available for much longer terms) than car loans.

You might claim that renting a home while buying a $50K sports car on credit is not financially irresponsible, but let me ask you this: Would you consider it financially irresponsible to take out a $50K loan for 7% interest ($17.5K of interest over the life of the loan) for that same sports car if you could get the same loan for 3% ($7.5K of interest over it's life)? Because in a nutshell, that is what you'd be doing. You would be paying an extra $10K for the car that you needn't pay if you had home equity to borrow against. And it's not just cars. It' ANYTHING you need to take out a loan for, such as extending credit card payments, etc.
It's ALL much cheaper to do if you're doing it with cash that is freed up through home equity.

These people are buying their dream car, a NSX. They don't care if you think it's more financially responsible to buy a house or whatever, that's not what they would enjoy. Maybe they can't get the downpayment needed on a house. Maybe it's not worth it for them to buy a house. I usually move every 6-12 months to somewhere new, so buying actually ISN'T the best thing for me. Of course if I move within the same area I can rent out my purchased house...but that's beside the point. Each to their own. :)

SR

It's true, they DON'T care that I think it's financially irresponsible (childish is the term I used). And they ARE buying their dream. That still doesn't make it prudent behavior.

dougjgreen said:
It's true, they DON'T care that I think it's financially irresponsible (childish is the term I used). And they ARE buying their dream. That still doesn't make it prudent behavior.

But only in your opinion. May not be to you, but to them, it is prudent. ;)

SR

And I think a lot of people (i.e., non-auto enthusiasts) would argue that paying XXX for a two-seater is not financially prudent. For most of us buying an NSX was primarily an emotional decision, not a financial one. Everyone has a different POV.

PHOEN$X said:
And I think a lot of people (i.e., non-auto enthusiasts) would argue that paying XXX for a two-seater is not financially prudent. For most of us buying an NSX was primarily an emotional decision, not a financial one. Everyone has a different POV.

EXACTLY! :D

:: loves car :: lol

SR

mojo said:
I don't think any of our cars say "NSX" on the back. :D

Are you sure?
fcb22f07.jpg

Yes, it's everyone's own individual decision. But buying a $30-50K 2-seat sports car on credit is alot LESS prudent for someone who has to stretch to buy it and for whom the car represents an overwhelming portion of one's net worth, than it is for someone who can easily afford it without any risk to their other responsibilities.

dougjgreen said:
Yes, it's everyone's own individual decision. But buying a $30-50K 2-seat sports car on credit is alot LESS prudent for someone who has to stretch to buy it and for whom the car represents an overwhelming portion of one's net worth, than it is for someone who can easily afford it without any risk to their other responsibilities.

Exactly.

Also, a two-seat sports car is a luxury item, no matter how you look at it; it's not just a matter of transportation, since it's more expensive to buy and maintain than many other cars on the market. If you haven't yet built up much net worth, it doesn't make sense to put what you have into a car for which any repair or other unexpected event in your life is going to cause you to sell it and possibly lose what you've put into it. As much as any of us enjoys the prospect of having a fancy, fast car, it shouldn't be as important to us as having a place to live, food on the table, or the ability to survive some sort of tragedy - and, beyond those things, I don't think it makes sense to mortgage your future financial stability in order to spend money on something just to make you feel good today. And that's what some folks appear to be doing.

Originally posted by milz50
Although I usually agree with your perspective, I do want to mention that no one has mentioned their net worth in this thread.

Actually, someone ;) did:

Originally posted by The REAL nsxtasy
Well, it's nice to hear that SOME folks around here have enough financial smarts to build up some net worth and put some equity into buying a home before they go out and buy an expensive sports car...

Originally posted by milz50
Renting does not necessarily mean one is being financially irresponsible.

No, not necessarily. I think there are certain circumstances in which renting a home makes sense over buying, despite the tax incentives that Dougman mentioned - for example, someone who is in a transitory situation and expects to be moving soon might lose money, not only from the possibility of a loss on selling a home on a short-term sale (it could happen), but also considering the costs of the sale (e.g. realtor fees and transfer taxes).

In any case, though, I think financial responsibility consists of setting your priorities and goals, and while each of us has his own values, I don't think it's smart to consider an expensive sports car to be a higher priority than building some savings and financial security - and in most cases, home ownership is a very good way to start doing so.

When I purchased my NSX, I opened an equity line of credit so I could avoid auto loans...and I completely paid it off when I was in a comfortable position to do so. I never felt like I had to extend myself to own my NSX.

akira3d said:
When I purchased my NSX, I opened an equity line of credit so I could avoid auto loans...and I completely paid it off when I was in a comfortable position to do so.

...which brings up another good reason for having equity in a home, and doing it before getting the car; it allows you to borrow money against that equity on a tax-deductible basis, which you can then use to buy the car. Thus the after-tax cost to you of the interest on the loan is almost certainly less than it would be on an auto loan. Smart!

That was exactly my point. If you build home equity, you can borrow against it on a tax deductible basis. And ANYTHING you buy will cost less using interest that is tax deductible will cost less than using non-deductible interest.

And since home equity loans are typically at lower interest rates than other forms of personal loans, the difference is greater still

In the example I used, 7% for a car loan, vs. 5% for a home loan, which, effectively is at an AFTER TAX interest rate of 3% (assuming a fairly typical 40% state and federal combined marginal tax rate).

So the actual cost of using a home loan rather than a car loan is less than 1/2 as much.

The rationale for buying my NSX: I wanted one. I had the resourses. I bought one.

This was before owning a house. And with a baby on the way. All in the course of a year. I paid more money for the NSX than I had ever paid for anything (sans education) in my life up to that point. House costing more and baby costing more than house.

Don't regret the process one bit. I say if you have the opportunity to eat cake, go ahead, eat cake.

If your rent is less than your car payment...whatever. Know that you took a more expensive route and so be it. If you have to pay more to have your dream car...more power to you.

But if you want cake, go ahead, have some cake. Just know that it'll cost ya.

Ponyboy: The operative phrase is:

"I wanted one. I had the resources."

My point refers to people who DON'T have the resources, without compromising their personal financial situation substantially.

dougjgreen said:
That comment wasn't based predominantly on THIS thread. It was based on some earlier threads in which lots of NSX buyers have talked about how far they had to extend themselves to get an NSX, and how they felt that they needed to live for the present.

I think I remember that thread...I agree.

As I showed, the fact is, if one establishes home equity, the cost of borrowing against one's home equity to buy a car is FAR lower than taking out a car loan.

This is a fact; I agree.

Oh, and BTW, while renting per se doesn't mean that someone is being financially irresponsible, renting a home while buying a $50K sports car on credit pretty much DOES mean that, in the U.S., given the huge tax incentives on mortgage loans vs. other types of loans.

You are making the assumption that it is prudent for everyone to own a home. On the whole this is sound advice, we must be cautious of 'one size fits all' financial advice. Considering the transaction costs of buying and selling a home, it may be unwise for some to purchase real estate. The average age of the potential NSX owners on this board seems to be very low. Those who are young tend to have more uncertainty in their life events such as

a) Income - Young people have less visibility of their future income. This income could decrease and make their home too costly...Or their income could increase drastically and they may be able to afford a larger home that they couldn't afford on their past income.

b) Geographic location - Young people are less likely to have a family and more likely to move (either because of desire, a new opportunity, to start a family, or job transfer)

c) Job/School - Young people tend to change jobs more frequently than their elders. They also may be working, but intend to be back in school in the near future.

d) Family - Young people may intend to get married and want to wait until this happens to purchase a home together.

e) Credit score

Uncertainty in any or all of these areas may make it unwise to purchase a home.

I do concur that one should save (and invest - if prudent) aggressively. I one invests (either stocks or real estate) money rather than buying an NSX at age 22, they may be able to retire a few years early.

Effectively, the cost of borrowing $40K against home equity is 30 -50% less in the U.S. than borrowing $40K for a straight car loan, depending upon one's tax situation - and that's assuming the SAME base interest rate, while home mortgage rates are presently much lower (and available for much longer terms) than car loans.
Yep.

You might claim that renting a home while buying a $50K sports car on credit is not financially irresponsible, but let me ask you this: Would you consider it financially irresponsible to take out a $50K loan for 7% interest ($17.5K of interest over the life of the loan) for that same sports car if you could get the same loan for 3% ($7.5K of interest over it's life)? Because in a nutshell, that is what you'd be doing. You would be paying an extra $10K for the car that you needn't pay if you had home equity to borrow against.

Given the choice of an auto loan or an equity loan, it would be irresponsible to choose the auto loan. However, I think it would also be irresponsible to purchase a home if there is a good chance you will need to sell it within a year or two. In a nutshell, it comes down to freedom. One may or may not own a home, but one should have the financial resources (savings) or cash flow (income) to support any purchase or to overcome any obstacles. If this is the case, one can determine the best means of paying for their NSX given their situation.

To answer the original question...my rent and car payment are equal - $0. Although the opportunity cost of my NSX is about $250/month (interest and depreciation).

milz50 wrote:
"You are making the assumption that it is prudent for everyone to own a home"

Not quite. I agree with you that there are reasons why one should NOT prudently buy a home, and you pretty much outlined them. However, most of THOSE circumstances reflect a station in life where it would ALSO be imprudent to buy an expensive 2-seat sportscar.

And your point about blanket "one size fits all" financial planning advice is well taken, and I certainly did not intend to get down that path. Suffice it to say that at least in MANY cases, the stretching one's financial resources to the limits to buy a luxury sportscar, in advance of establishing any home equity, is unwise and bordering on childish financial irresponsibility. I'll leave it to each individual to make their own decision as to whether that statement applies to the their own situation. I do NOT intend for it to be a blanket judgement. But it DID seem clear that in several cases, people were unwisely stretching themselves to buy these cars. Certainly NOT EVERYONE who bought one on credit, but in the aggregate, it seems fairly common.

I think I said what both of you are saying... except the part where you (milz50) said that no one said what I said. :D

But I think both of you are explaining in better detail and more understandable terms than I probably did. Good stuff.

I have an NSX. I took out a car loan.
I don't own a home. I don't have a mortgage to meet.

Yes I know going the equity loan route is smarter.
But with personal reasons of not buying a home RIGHT now, it's not the most practical approach for me.

So which ever route you feel is best to you, go with it. It's your money. Do whatever the hell you want with it.
Like someone said, the NSX is an emotional purchase. If it makes you happy to own one instead of a house, great.
It isn't mandatory to be a homeowner to own an NSX. It's just nicer that way.

If worse comes to worst, sell the car, buy the house, buy the car back.

So stop with the guilt-trips people. ;)

dougjgreen said:
That was exactly my point. If you build home equity, you can borrow against it on a tax deductible basis. And ANYTHING you buy will cost less using interest that is tax deductible will cost less than using non-deductible interest.

Deductible equity debt is limited to $100k while acquisition debt for a home purchase has a $1 mill limit

Gaymond Lee wrote:

"Deductible equity debt is limited to $100k while acquisition debt for a home purchase has a $1 mill limit"

That's true, but right now, with Housing valuations so high, and rates so low, you can overcome that $100k limitation as well by doing a Cash-out re-fi on a home. Here in California, I took $100K out in cash on a Refinancing of my 1st Mortgage. THAT cash is not considered part of the Home Equity Loan limit. It's just considered part of the primary mortgage on my principal residence. I went from a $140K balance on a home I bought for $215K, to a $240K balance on the same home which now appraises at $370K

BTW, a $370K appraisal is NOT a Luxury Home here in California. It's a 2000 sq. ft. 3 bedroom in San Diego. But, it's also nearly doubled in value in 6 years.

In the S.F. Bay area, you can't buy a 2 bedroom townhouse for $370K, unless it's a dump in a terrible neighborhood.

California Dreamin.....

Back