• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Whats the difference in brakes in a NSX-R??

Whats the difference in brakes in a NSX-R? Does it have a bigger brake kit? Also where do you find it if you want to buy it?

The NSX-R uses different pads and slotted rotors identical in size to the OEM rotors. No difference in calipers.

If you're looking for a brake upgrade to achieve performance similar to the Type-R I would recommend Powerslot slotted rotors and a popular aftermarket pad like Project Mu or Cobalt as well as better brake fluid. And adding some ducting for cooling is worth every penny.

I read somewhere on prime that it performs better than the endless big brake kit and its lighter as well:confused:
I allready have slotted rotors and run ATE GOLD brake fluid. Stainless steel lines. I just need better brake pads and I will try out Project Mu and Cobalt. With this combination I will have similiar results as type R brakes correct?
Please tell me where to get the ducting for brakes(dali?) I heard they hit/rub your wheels is that correct?

The NSX-R uses different pads and slotted rotors identical in size to the OEM rotors. No difference in calipers.

If you're looking for a brake upgrade to achieve performance similar to the Type-R I would recommend Powerslot slotted rotors and a popular aftermarket pad like Project Mu or Cobalt as well as better brake fluid. And adding some ducting for cooling is worth every penny.

No difference in calipers.

The pistons size of the calipers are different. Basically, they use the NA1 front caliper and the NA2 rear.

OEM 91-96 36.00/40.00 42.50
OEM 97+ 34.00/40.00 48.00
02 TYPE R 36.00/40.00 48.00

Last edited:
So If I want it to be like the NSX-R I need to find the NA2 rear caliper to make it like the R? I am assuming this is a easy swap if I can find it? So you can use the NA1 fronts and NA2 rears together?

The pistons size of the calipers are different. Basically, they use the NA1 front caliper and the NA2 rear.

Last edited:
I read somewhere on prime that it performs better than the endless big brake kit and its lighter as well:confused:
I allready have slotted rotors and run ATE GOLD brake fluid. Stainless steel lines. I just need better brake pads and I will try out Project Mu and Cobalt. With this combination I will have similiar results as type R brakes correct?
Please tell me where to get the ducting for brakes(dali?) I heard they hit/rub your wheels is that correct?

The NSX-R brakes aren't anything special outside of slightly better rotors and pads, both of which you can purchase AM and use on the OEM calipers. The right mods should get you braking on par with an NSX-R.

And yes, the rear NSX-R caliper is larger than the NA1 OEM but I really wouldn't worry about that. Only ~20% of braking is done with the rear brakes and you shouldn't notice any diminished performance by leaving the rear brakes alone. I personally run a BBK in the front and 100% OEM calipers and pads with slotted rotors in the rear and have had no braking/brake bias issues at all.

As far as the cooling I'm talking about rigging up your own air ducting with tubing, etc. There are several threads about how to do it and where to find the parts. You can put together a nice system for about $100 and a few hours of work. Most if not all the parts can be found at any hardware store.

Those "air deflector" devices don't really help much and can rub as you brought up.

Good stuff my friend. I allready have nice Slotted rotors and Hawk plus brake pads(will try cobalt next), stainless steel lines(SOS), ATE gold brake fluid(dali) so I am going to leave it alone as if its good enough for the R car on the track I m sure it be fine for me (don't track that often yet).
I been reading about the air tube brake ducting. I am trying to get the parts as we speak. It sounds like one of the best things you can do for you brakes. I read it cools your brakes by 100 degrees:eek: Nice. Do you have one your car yet?

The NSX-R brakes aren't anything special outside of slightly better rotors and pads, both of which you can purchase AM and use on the OEM calipers. The right mods should get you braking on par with an NSX-R.

And yes, the rear NSX-R caliper is larger than the NA1 OEM but I really wouldn't worry about that. Only ~20% of braking is done with the rear brakes and you shouldn't notice any diminished performance by leaving the rear brakes alone. I personally run a BBK in the front and 100% OEM calipers and pads with slotted rotors in the rear and have had no braking/brake bias issues at all.

As far as the cooling I'm talking about rigging up your own air ducting with tubing, etc. There are several threads about how to do it and where to find the parts. You can put together a nice system for about $100 and a few hours of work. Most if not all the parts can be found at any hardware store.

Those "air deflector" devices don't really help much and can rub as you brought up.

How is brake dust with the Project MU pads?

Project Mu is one of the best AM pads in terms of low dust (the best, IMO, at least on the "street" level pad). Axxis Ultimate (not that great a performing pad IMO) and Hawk HPS (a very good pad) are among the worst and dust a lot. Cobalt is a great pad and dusts quite a bit more than OEM but not as bad as the Axxis and Hawk and I'm not sure about Ferrodo.

Last edited:
I been reading about the air tube brake ducting. I am trying to get the parts as we speak. It sounds like one of the best things you can do for you brakes.

That it is. :wink:

I will eventually do the ducting it but so far I am happy with the deflectors and my RB BBK.

Your current combo of SS lines, ATE fluid, slotted rotors and Hawk pads is most certainly on par with the Type-R if not better. Adding ducting for cooling will result in an absolutely fantastic braking system that will be more than adequate for even an FI NSX that's heavily tracked.

Only ~20% of braking is done with the rear brakes and you shouldn't notice any diminished performance by leaving the rear brakes alone.

Where does the 20% number come from? Have you tracked your car to notice a real brake bias issue?

So If I want it to be like the NSX-R I need to find the NA2 rear caliper to make it like the R? I am assuming this is a easy swap if I can find it? So you can use the NA1 fronts and NA2 rears together?

Unfortunately no. 91-96 calipers won't fit the 298 discs. You would have to buy one set of 91-96 and one set of 97+, the later ones for the larger brackets.

I have the OEM NSX-R "red pads" on my nsx, it's a fantastic brake pad, far more bite than the axxis ultimates I had before (and they dust less, as a benefit), in addition to these "red pads", the NSX-R uses NA1 calipers in the front, and NA2 calipers in the rear - the calipers are a different color, if that matters to you, a sort of cast-black, instead of the gold on 02+ cars. The brake rotors are also slotted; these are the main components of the system, I suppose to be sure, one would need an nsx-r to inspect, but essentially different caliper piston sizes, different rotors, and fantastic pads.

In Japan, a popular modification is the installation of the Honda red pads, this is done in several time attack situations - I am not sure if they go through the trouble of replicating the rest of the NSX-R braking system.

NA2 NSX-R rotors are simply OEM rotors slotted. Pads wise, they are not cheap, over $1k for the entire set.

Whats the difference in brakes in a NSX-R? Does it have a bigger brake kit? Also where do you find it if you want to buy it?

No difference in Caliper, just different compound Pads and slotted rotors from Factory thats all.

Where does the 20% number come from? Have you tracked your car to notice a real brake bias issue?

Yes, I track my car frequently and that number is based on many experienced track drivers and NSX techs who I have spoken to and the fact that my rear pads and rotors tend to last about 4-5 times longer than my fronts.

Has this information been confirmed? The 02 NSX-R uses the same size front calipers as 91-96?

Yes. But IIRC it uses the 97+ bracket with the 91-96 caliper to fit the bigger rotor and the 02+ wheels. The 02+ wheels don't fit without a 5mm spacer on the front if you use the 91-96 front bracket.

Thanks! Any benefit for 97+ owners switching to the 91-96 front caliper while keeping everything else to the same?

Don't know from where this myth came from but I was asked the same question years ago on NSXCB site.

ACtC-3fWwVHECI6KYLSU0G-hvK2Yq22VrD8KIniyImgx4Kgz9HD4rzalanD4vRnV_riOYJEMPruLBv9Sm5zTNmVDiVOrg6uLTXc85E22ubp68SkZHTIBiTXEu0oBk6ZxAFqaIJQDwb9ROlYTKSK6dmmILCU1qw=w800-h600-no

I have 02+ NSX-R callipers and regularly overhaul it so easy to answer.
Basically, all four calipers are the same as the 97+ models (black) including the facelifted Gold calipers except for the NSX-R, it came in black.

The Front piston size is the same as the 97+, 40/34mm.

ACtC-3dJmSMoLazTd1s2WaokumU4_GD-h2Hglbu6-az06FUiWRqrU5nk-KYZvQffKHWCkW8MWPXWpSwqU48OSzgtWCA7CGC5zor3ldPFKMcQXFS_44wa2DJksHkp8Mcuaex9GsM7wTX1cJ2WvxpvDUCQlSeVQQ=w948-h577-no

Also confirmed in the parts list.

Hope the wrong info disappears.....

Kaz

Last edited:
Don't know from where this myth came from but I was asked the same question years ago on NSXCB site.

ACtC-3fWwVHECI6KYLSU0G-hvK2Yq22VrD8KIniyImgx4Kgz9HD4rzalanD4vRnV_riOYJEMPruLBv9Sm5zTNmVDiVOrg6uLTXc85E22ubp68SkZHTIBiTXEu0oBk6ZxAFqaIJQDwb9ROlYTKSK6dmmILCU1qw=w800-h600-no

I have 02+ NSX-R callipers and regularly overhaul it so easy to answer.
Basically, all four calipers are the same as the 97+ models (black) including the facelifted Gold calipers except for the NSX-R, it came in black.

The Front piston size is the same as the 97+, 40/34mm.

ACtC-3dJmSMoLazTd1s2WaokumU4_GD-h2Hglbu6-az06FUiWRqrU5nk-KYZvQffKHWCkW8MWPXWpSwqU48OSzgtWCA7CGC5zor3ldPFKMcQXFS_44wa2DJksHkp8Mcuaex9GsM7wTX1cJ2WvxpvDUCQlSeVQQ=w948-h577-no

Also confirmed in the parts list.

Hope the wrong info disappears.....

Kaz

That's GREAT! Thank you for the clarification Kaz! I'm going to edit my posts above.

Back