• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

What's your all time favorite cockpit design for a production sports car?

This is a very interesting thread to me because I've always really valued the feel of a car's seats, controls, visibility, IP, etc. much more than blindly looking for who had the fastest 0-60 times, and I've always rated the NSX as having one of the best cockpits. In fact really I've had a hard time warming up to any current offerings other than BMW E46's, Caymans, and R8's because I don't much care for modern design's preferences in cockpit design with some way overly thought-out interiors/IP's as well as claustrophobicly high cowl heights, thick A-pillars, and gunslit windows. In the 90's as a new Ford engineer, the NSX and 300ZX were my two favorite cars but even used ones were still way outside of my budget so I settled on a 1993 Probe GT and was so surprised how similar the NSX, 300ZX, and Probe GT's cockpits felt. The Probe GT and NSX both had that prominent "ring" design feature where the dashboard meets the windshield,and the 300ZX & NSX both shared the control pods idea within a finger reach of the steering wheel.

Anyway, those are my 3 favorites. I've already owned and sold two. One more to go (and keep this time)!!

Probe GT:
4615030004_large.jpg

300ZX:
96-interior.jpg

NSX (as if you need a reminder):
acura-nsx-interior.jpg

And dare I say it: I think I like the Audi TT cockpit even more than the RS8. I recently drove a 2.0 TT w/S-tronic transmission; though I wasn't a fan of the whooshy turbo lag, coasting feel of an automatic, and lack of low end push, the cockpit sure was a great place to be. Tasteful use of brushed aluminum bits here & there sure make the NSX interior feel a bit dungeony.
Audi-TT_RS_2010_photo_26.jpg

Last edited:
has to be the F1. central position.

For an old fart like me, the Porsche 928 has the all time best looking interior. The NSX interior is a direct copy of the 928's and that's why I love the NSX's.
Steve

For an old fart like me, the Porsche 928 has the all time best looking interior. The NSX interior is a direct copy of the 928's and that's why I love the NSX's.
Steve

It seems the 928 interior inspired many interiors.

928 interior = Version 1.0

300zx interior = Version 1.5

NSX interior = Version 2.0

BB4 Prelude interiors should also get an honorable mention for radical and fresh design.

It seems the 928 interior inspired many interiors.

928 interior = Version 1.0

300zx interior = Version 1.5

NSX interior = Version 2.0

BB4 Prelude interiors should also get an honorable mention for radical and fresh design.

Wow, I had no idea about the 928 interior. I always just thought of brown cloth seats with funky geometric patterns when I thought about 928's. Learn something new every week with Prime. That must have felt really ahead of its time back then. With minor updates it would feel fresh today.

interior2.jpg

For me the NSX interior is still the tops. Clean, elegant, everything is where it should be.

The absolute worst is that Spyker interior several posts back. Fussy and overwrought with a steampunk aero-nautical look and feel. YUCK.

Yinzer, you got it right. Uehara himself said that the NSX ergonomics were greatly influenced by the 928 interior despite the 15 years that separated them. The seating position, the instrument grouping and the reach to the center console are all very similar.

BTW, Tom, the F458 dash is one of the ugliest, least sportscar-friendly of all modern F cars and that is not just me saying it. OTOH the 12C interior reminds me of the NSX's. Of course my opinion :smile:

I always loved the Supra TT's dashboard. Its so driver focused that even the passenger cannot really see what is playing on the radio, nor do they have easy access to any of the climate control knobs

SupraDashBefore.jpg

I always loved the Supra TT's dashboard. Its so driver focused that even the passenger cannot really see what is playing on the radio, nor do they have easy access to any of the climate control knobs

SupraDashBefore.jpg

The FD interior is even more simplified than the MKIV's interior.....

Wow, I had no idea about the 928 interior. I always just thought of brown cloth seats with funky geometric patterns when I thought about 928's. Learn something new every week with Prime. That must have felt really ahead of its time back then. With minor updates it would feel fresh today.

interior2.jpg

Where did you get a pic of my 928?

SupraDashBefore.jpg

I agree. The 1st time I sat in one I could not help but feel like I was in a cocoon, though materials felt cheap.

I think the new 458 is also pretty driver focused, and the materials are top shelf.

I also really liked the interior and dash on my SC-400. The EL lights on the instruments have not been topped. 1st class.

42-17649894.jpg

-Jim

From a driver's point of view and judging ergonomics I think the 928 Porsche and the NSX are up there. In 1998 during NSX Fiesta in Japan, I remember Uehara telling us that the NSX interior (especially the slope of the console and the easy reach by the driver) were influenced by the 928. For a simple no frills driver environment I strongly vote for the Honda S2K. Contrary to what might a lot of people think Some of the least comfortable and driver-friendly interiors I have experienced in performance/exotic cars are in the Ferraris/Lambos I have owned. I recently sat in the McL 12C and thought it was also very driver- friendly.

The sloped dash of the NSX wins hands down. Will they continue with a better version of that in the new NSX? Can't wait to see it.

The sloped dash of the NSX wins hands down. Will they continue with a better version of that in the new NSX? Can't wait to see it.

Agree to some extent. Has best view of road surface of any car especially on NJ roads that rival some of those Afgan mine fields. The sloped dash is not for reading cockpit temperatures or radio stations in the sun.

I guess that brings us back to McClaren and having the babes on both sides, any temperature or music will be fine and why would you need to know the time? :biggrin:

McLaren F1 hands down.

NSX is up there as well as the FD RX7, McLaren mp4-12c, 458 Italia...

Seems like many people just post their own cars. I like the GTO but seriously? It has a rental car dash. Far from a "cockpit" imo.

Back