• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Wheel offsets effect on handling

Re: GT-C owners please?

KGP said:
Can we hear from some GT-C owners on this please. Off the top of my head, Tan is the only one I know of who has GT-C's. Who else has them?

I have had mine for about a year. I'm running a 43 rear offset w/ a 18x10 rim on 285 SO3's. front 17x9 no problems above 140

1HOT NSX said:
On the toe-out effect on directional stability, my experience is the opposite, i.e. more toe-out increases directional stability. I don't know what the physics involved are but this is my seat of the pants impression...

A couple of things may contribute to that perception. For one, as you approach zero toe (yours is now very close) you lose the pre-tension discussed earlier. So I would expect a change of -7mm to -1mm to result in a less solid feel. Your shop may also have reduced caster, which determines the strength with which the steering wheel seems to pull back to center. And even reducing negative camber as is often done to extend tire life can make it feel less planted. It's all about balancing the many elements and Honda clearly mad that a priority on the NSX.

For whatever it is worth back when I was playing with 911s I had to give up on Pirellis because of poor quality control. Different sets of the same tires reacted differently when installed on the car. Before you give up on the wheels you might try them with some other tires.

sjs said:
I'm quite aware of the benefits of front-toe out and why it is used, but I think you are wrong about it causing a tendency to wander. [/B]
Actually, I said that the toe-out will not cause it to wander. But I agree with your points on it causing vagueness on center (even though the NSX does not exhibit that) and toe-in being used to reduce wander. Although I suspect that caster would play a bigger role in reducing wandering.

Originally posted by sjs But back to your point about the scrub, you may very well be correct. ....... If there is a technical paper explaining the opposite then I would like to read it so as to learn the truth and stop spreading falsehoods.
While I may have seen it in other articles I was looking at a Car & Driver editorial by Patrick Bedard about the NSX tires when I wrote my response. I will scan the article and send it to you if you like. And if I get some time to figure out how to post a picture, I can post it on this thread.

Back