• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Wheel Replacement Question

I have a '91 with original 15/16 wheels. The car has been lowered by about 1 inch (sport springs). Question: What size wheels can I replace the originals with? Would 16/17 work?
I also want to raise its ground clearance by about an inch. Would putting larger tires with the 16/17 do the trick?

what are you trying to do...turning it into an SUV? some goes w/ 15/16, majority does 17/18, and i do 18/19. so basically you want to change it back to stock? IMO, the car looks more agressive lowered with 17/18 or 18/19 at the extreme :D

brilchu said:
I have a '91 with original 15/16 wheels. The car has been lowered by about 1 inch (sport springs). Question: What size wheels can I replace the originals with? Would 16/17 work?
I also want to raise its ground clearance by about an inch. Would putting larger tires with the 16/17 do the trick?
You should be able to get bigger wheels, including the 16"/17" stock wheels of the '94-01 NSX, if that's what you want. There are lots of wheel replacement options around.

However, don't ever get bigger tires to change the ride height - that's an absolute no-no! :eek: Tires of larger outer diameter have a lot of downsides - they hurt acceleration (just like putting taller gears into your car), they hurt handling (taller sidewalls), etc.

If you are unhappy with the lowered ride height of your car, then I would suggest that you return the springs to stock. If you no longer have the original stock springs, it should be pretty easy to find someone on NSXprime who has replaced his springs with aftermarket and will sell them to you for next to nothing.

Gents,
Thanks for your replies. Nope, not turning it into a SUV. I totally agree with you about the car looking aggressive. But this is about everyday driving. It's no fun to having my front spoiler scrap the road if I'm driving up a slightly angled drive-way; or having the car bottoming out (clung!) on speed bumps!
Good advice about bigger tires...

Back