• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Wheel/Track Tires?

Are the '02 wheels sufficient in width to run track tires?
Thanks in advance for any input. :)

Track tires aren't necessarily any wider than regular street tires; they come in lots of different sizes.

I think you really want to ask what size and model track tires (R compound tires) are available for the stock wheel sizes.

Although I must say, if I had a '02-03 NSX, I wouldn't use those nice stock wheels for track tires; I would look for an inexpensive and/or used set of aftermarket wheels for the track tires, which might or might not be stock size wheels...

My wife doesn't like the stock wheels. So I was considering getting some aftermarkets for regular use and keeping the stockies for track use, if I go that way.

ss_md said:
My wife doesn't like the stock wheels. So I was considering getting some aftermarkets for regular use and keeping the stockies for track use, if I go that way.

Okay... Just keep in mind that you could probably get a lot of money for them if you decide to sell them. Dali Racing sells a set of four new stock '02 wheels for $4005, and that's without tires. If your tires still have most of the tread on them, I bet you could get close to that much for the wheels/tires. You could then probably get a decent set of used wheels for the track for anywhere between $1K and $2K, and pocket the difference.

Do what you want, of course - it's just something you might want to consider.

HTH

I have to agree. Sell those stockers and get two sets of nice wheels. One, a lightweight set of wide track wheels and, two, another set for blinging up the city.

Ponyboy said:
I have to agree. Sell those stockers and get two sets of nice wheels. One, a lightweight set of wide track wheels and, two, another set for blinging up the city.
How wide is wide? And what is the widest that will fit (front & rear) without pounding or cutting?

Without pounding or cutting? Don't know. It seems to depend on the car and the suspension.

But 17x8.5 front and 18x10.5 or 17x10.5 seem to work well.

The stock wheels on the 02 is pretty good for track use. You can use 205/40/17 for the fronts and 255/40/17 in the rear. YOu have few to choose from. Toyo RA1, Kumho, Hoosier. Although with hoosier, you might need to go with 245/40/17 in the rear.

Don't worry too much that the tire is smaller than stock. In reality, it is actually wider than stock.

What is a good alternative to the stock '02 wheels for the track, if I decide to sell them?

Get something like 17x8 for the front and 18x10 in the rear. They have more selection of track tires that can accomodate this size.

Make sure the front offset is at least 45 offset if you don't have big brake kit, and 50 offset if you do, as the big brake kit hats are usually 5mm thicker.

Ok, here's some more input based on past (Viper) experience...see big brake kit post. From personal experience, I would go with a 17" rear for track so that you can have a decent sidewall on the tire. If you go with an 18" and don't increase the tires size (overall diameter) much, you will not have as much sidewall and the tire will break loose a little easier. Also b/c of the thin sidewall it could roll enough to damage the rim in corners...possibly. I would go wider on the rim but not bigger in diameter...of course I went to the extreme and ran 335/35/17's on 17x12 rims on all 4 corners of my Viper. The more tire you have under you (to a point), the longer you have before you lose traction. I'm not sure how the X handles on a track yet or how hard you wanna push it so it may not be much of an issue.

Again, just my .02

Andy
03 Blue/Onyx

Man, I'd love to be able to fit 335's on the rear of my NSX. Maybe 275's up front. Can you imagine the cornering force generated? I'd have to wear glasses to keep my eyeballs in. ;)

andymo1972 said:
Ok, here's some more input based on past (Viper) experience...see big brake kit post. From personal experience, I would go with a 17" rear for track so that you can have a decent sidewall on the tire. If you go with an 18" and don't increase the tires size (overall diameter) much, you will not have as much sidewall and the tire will break loose a little easier. Also b/c of the thin sidewall it could roll enough to damage the rim in corners...possibly.

I would go with 18" The benefit you get on shorter sidewall is amazing. Sidewall play can really ruin a good handling car. True taller sidewall will be easier to control, and have a break away characteristic that is different than shorter sidewall tires.

I guess it all goes to how much experience you have.

Although the difference in sidewall height is noticeable, it's still entirely controlable and predictable. I went from a 50 in front and 50 in the rear to a 40 front and 30 rear and felt fine. Haven't felt like it was ever out of control w/o the car telling me well in advance beforehand. I'd go 18 too. BUT 17 inch sizes do have a lot more tire choices right now.

ss_md said:
What is a good alternative to the stock '02 wheels for the track, if I decide to sell them?

If you are looking for payable rims that are fit for track, I should go for OZ Racing Superleggeras. These rims are lighter than stock and can be obtained in the size of 17x8 front and 18x9 rear.

I myself use these wheels in combination with 225x35x17 and 265x35x18 Bridgetone SO3 on track as my race wheel setup in the wet. If you still can get the SO2's I should go for them, because for trackuse SO2 is unbeatable in the rain and glues in the dry.

At dry I use 210x610x17 (front, in metric cm) and 280x650x18 YOKOHAMA slick tires in combination with Technomagesia rims size 17x8 and 18x10.

Both rims are lighter than stock.

I'm aware that you guys in the U.S have problems to get the Yoko slicks Gerard wrote of but If if you have any chance (stealing, betraying, blackmailing etc.) try to get a set of A 005 track tires (not street legal).

With your 17'' stock rims front and rear I suggest 230 or 210-580 front and 250-610 rear. Attention: Get the right compound mixture! Take S 01 for the front (2nd softest) and S 04 for the rears (a bit harder). You will have a tremendous braking level and you can "throttle play" easily with the rear end - big fun.

Remember: Big meat (like 280s rear) will reduce acceleration, better go with smaller tires (also with smaller diameter!) with softer compound. Big downside: tire life. The best I did with that combo was 2 events = about 350 miles, the worst was only one event (tire eating track surface).

Back