• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

wheels

My '91 has stock wheels and I'm thinking about upgrading to later 16/17 or aftermarket 17/18. While I know this will help handling, I'm concerned about making the ride too harsh on the potholed roads in NJ. What's your experience???? Thx

carbuddy said:
My '91 has stock wheels and I'm thinking about upgrading to later 16/17 or aftermarket 17/18. While I know this will help handling, I'm concerned about making the ride too harsh on the potholed roads in NJ. What's your experience???? Thx

In addition to a harsh ride, the potholes have another downside: they can easily damage large wheels with short sidewalls. You might want to stick to no larger than 16"/17". Besides, then you can still use the OEM tires.

I wanted to ask exactly the same question...

Mine is 92 and has stock alloy wheels. What do I need to do to fit the newer style ones? (From like 97 models) Actually, how compatible are they?

I want to make sure the offset issues are OK (i.e. fouling brake calliper), and whether it is matter of fitting spacers or not. Are spacers safe...

What about ABS/Traction control system, I've heard they don't like it if tyre sizes are changed...

Thanx

Asuka

You won't need spacers to fit the later series wheels on an early NSX.
Learn lots about wheels & Tires at these links

You can fit 17/18 combo with little more risk to the wheels than there is for std. - std 16/17 are 45 & 40 series aspect ratio tires respectively compared to 40/35 for 17/18. A pot hole that will damage those will most likely also damage the 16/17's. Now the 15/16s are a little taller tire at 50% F & R.

If we consider some front wheel options:
Stock 15" dia rim has 23.1 dia tire => 8.1"/2 = 4.05" of sidewall between edge of rim & road (In reality less when weighted by car load)
Stock 16" has 23.6" dia tire => 7.6"/2 = 3.8"
Typical 17" has 23.8" dia tire => 6.8"/2 = 3.4" sidewall.
Now, you can see all the tires, despite their different wheels diameters are within a 0.7" range on the tire diameter (or half of that for the radius which would be the difference in ride height) - quite acceptable really & will have minimal effect on the TCS. By changing the aspect ratio, it is possible to keep the final outside diameter similar even though the rim size is changing.
As far as the tire sidewall height goes i.e. the protection between a pothole & your rim, there is less than 1/2" difference between the stock 16" or after-market 17" tires. Remember also that the new 02/03 NSX has 17" front wheels now.
Having said that you will definitely "feel" the road more with 17/18's, especially compared to 15/16 50 series tires. However I myself run 18/19's with 35 & 30 series tires respectively & still find the ride acceptable & with no TCS issues.
You will find many examples of options in styles & sizes if you research this wheel/tire forum here on NSXPrime.
Good luck with your choices.

No one has worse roads then SW Pennsylvania !

Have had 17 /18 with
215/40/17 & 265/35/18
Only for a week, but love it ! Looks awesome.

I thought the ride was going to be rough, but
it's great (new tires really helped).

Go for it, you be sorry if you don't !

xxlrr8 said:
No one has worse roads then SW Pennsylvania !

Have had 17 /18 with
215/40/17 & 265/35/18
Only for a week, but love it ! Looks awesome.

I thought the ride was going to be rough, but
it's great (new tires really helped).

Go for it, you be sorry if you don't !

I beg to differ .. let me show you the Cross Bronx Expressway and some of our roads here in NYC after the last winter we had.:eek:

I'll second that Pilot. Took a beautiful Sunday morning ride on the cross bronx to see Larry B. Thought I was gonna get pulled for dodging holes. Thanks for the recommendation Pilot.... and thank you Larry for taking the time to look at my car.

I am "customizing" seven spoke oem's. Does anyone know if the spokes or any part of the wheel are clear coated?

CRX B16B VTEC said:
Mine is 92 and has stock alloy wheels. What do I need to do to fit the newer style ones? (From like 97 models) Actually, how compatible are they?

I want to make sure the offset issues are OK (i.e. fouling brake calliper), and whether it is matter of fitting spacers or not. Are spacers safe...

What about ABS/Traction control system, I've heard they don't like it if tyre sizes are changed...

The '94-01 seven-spoke wheels can be mounted on a '91-93 NSX with no problems whatsoever.

Going to a 17/18 combo will result in a greater likelihood for your wheels to be damaged in the conditions that you say you drive in. The 16/17 combo is much safer and more comfortable in ride and noise. If you have any questions, feel free to call me and discuss your options.

I have the SSR Integral 17/18 combo with Kumho 712 tires. I was very pleasantly surprised that they ride better than my stock 16/17 with Bridgestones. I drive my car daily and drive through all kinds of potholes and they are softer than the stock rims/tires.
Steve

Back