• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

When filling up, gas pump keeps on stopping

I've only filled the car up with gas twice since I bought it and on both occasions (same gas station company, just diff locations), the gas pump keeps on stopping.

First time I filled it up, the gas pump must have stopped every 2-3 seconds for 12 or so times before it would continue on without stopping.

Second time yesterday, I got sick of just standing there, trying to fiddle around with the nozzle (lifting it out slightly, wiggle it, etc) that I only filled up with exactly $20 worth of gas (bit less than 1/2 tank).

Is there some kind of sensor in the neck of the gas tank?

Perhaps you might want to try a different company to see if they have more user-friendly pumps. But be careful what you wish for. In the event that the nozzle fails to shut off the pump when the gas tank is full, fuel will squirt out of both sides of the receptacle like streams of pee.

Last edited:
I have not experienced this.

I don't have any problems with this in Edmonton.
I actually use the fuel cap to hold the pump handle on while I look around the car at tyre pressures and what not.
Just back out the nozzle a bit and maybe slow down the flow.
Trev

I like to pull it out sometimes and then repeat!
T-bone

I've had this issue with several cars, mostly Hondas. I think it is a pressure issue, as I find that if I pull the nozzle back a bit, it doesn't shut off.

I find one of these nozzles every 6 months or so (sometimes with the NSX and sometimes on another car). I would go to the pump on the next island and it is fine. I would try a different gas station company to see if it still stops every 2-3 seconds.

I feel your pain. I have trouble with this at EVERY gas station. Maybe I just am unable to pump gas correctly. Usually the solution for me is to angle the pump handle up so the nozzle is pointed down. I also physically regulate the flow.

Back