• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Which Big Brake Kit?

FWIW I finally had a chance to get in a good run today on the Rotoras. It was a good 100 miles worth of med-to-hard deserted canyon driving. I must say.. i'm very happy. The modulation near the limit was fantastic. The pedal pressure was just right. They also have a 63% front bias (same as Stoptechs) so trail braking was much more satisfying (well, in the areas where it was safe to do so).

I'm running on their "street" pad and they didn't fade. I plan on running HP+ for the track though. I feel in love with the NSX all over again today.

If you haven't upgraded to a good set of 4 wheel BBKs, you just don't know what you're missing. I'm so glad I didn't sell these.

Still on the fence about the WPro. Perhaps over the next few years there will be more good reviews than bad experiences. They look blingy :smile:

Last edited:
I'm still looking. I dont have a lot of clearance with my stock setup. Has anyone gone with the racing brake front bbk? Looks like its not as wide as some of the bbk out there, so it might clear my wheel spoke.

2151-k-2.jpg

B@t™

Last edited:
I'm still looking. I dont have a lot of clearance with my stock setup. Has anyone gone with the racing brake front bbk? Looks like its not as wide as some of the bbk out there, so it might clear my wheel spoke.

2151-k-2.jpg

B@t™
Racing Brake has been around awhile now. This is the first true BBK I've seen of theirs. I likey alot.:wink:

Brembo or ST front and na2 rear is enough and bias works.

ST front and rear has a very good bias. Rotoras arent bad either but i like stoptechs efforts in racing.

Performance Friction (PFC) biggest rotor. Best bias, by far best caliper but at a premium price. Extremely successful professional race technology in a street caliper.

Last edited:
Performance Friction (PFC) biggest rotor. Best bias, by far best caliper but at a premium price. Extremely successful professional race technology in a street caliper.

Billy, do you know the actual bias of the PFC setup? Or even the diameters + piston sizes?

Thanks!

I'm running the Brembo Indy kit on all 4 corners and love them. I'm running Willwoods on my S2000 because they were half of the price of the Brembos. I have put 70,000 on the willwood kit and love them. I bought my Nsx with the Brembos but if i were going to buy a set you cant beat the Willwoods for the price and performance

I'm running the Brembo Indy kit on all 4 corners and love them. I'm running Willwoods on my S2000 because they were half of the price of the Brembos. I have put 70,000 on the willwood kit and love them. I bought my Nsx with the Brembos but if i were going to buy a set you cant beat the Willwoods for the price and performance

I called Wilwood and they won't produce another Nsx kit. I guess unless someone fabs up brackets or something but I'm not really sure what exactly makes an Nsx bbk different or best for an Nsx...

I believe they used to produce a kit a LONG time ago but that's it.

Racing Brake has been around awhile now. This is the first true BBK I've seen of theirs. I likey alot.:wink:

I got this kit about 2 years ago. It seems to work well :smile:

As a corollary to this thread, what do you need to make the spare work with a BBK? Spacers (and what size?)

I was reading a thread where a Primer ran into this problem. Would suck to get stranded with no usable spare in the middle of nowhere.

Get a spare wheel that fits over it, the 17" oem 02 wheel w a 25mm integral stud spacer will probably work over most but that is the minimum size I bet. My 17" tecnomagnesio was so close on inside diameter that it did not fit with the balancing weights! I had to take them off and get the wheels static balanced. Make sure your spare is hubcentric or you will shear load your wheel studs and they can break. Also keep in mind the front and rear hub bores are different so if you just have a spare front wheel it would be ideal if you also made a hub ring to go with it (6mm or whatever it is) in case you need to use it on the rear.

Last edited:
With my stock brakes, I have 5/8" wheel clearance up front, and 1/2" clearance in the rear. I dont have room for spacers, so thats pretty much what I have to work with. Thoughts?

B@t™

A can of fix-a-flat and a tire pump. Like most sports cars do these days.

Off topic but I tried fix-a-flat on my tires and I broke 3 bottles before I gave up. I was reading something on the bottle at the time saying it may not work on low profile tires. Since most owners run low profile tires I thought I should share my story...

This is with the car jacked up as well so no weight was on the car and they were kumho spt tires.

Yep... I was thinking this too... but then again, maybe he ordered "BBK Friendly" offsets.... hmmmm

I remember Bat said his wheel offsets are around 31-34 or so.

Yes, 31 and 34. Hmmm...I'm going to contact Lon at HRE. see what my options are.

B@t

As a FYI:
Offsets have almost NOTHING to do with Brake caliper clearance.
Brake caliper clearance is mainly a function of wheel's disk type, hub/pad thickness and spoke design.
Note how the inside curvature of the L,R,T Disk gives more clearance?
DiskType.jpg

Last edited:
When people say that the BBK has better stopping power what exactly does that mean?

Less brake fade I presume?

What about pedal effort? With my EBC Red, SS braided brake lines and slotted/x-drilled rotor upgrades I've yet to have a street situation where I was getting brake fade.

I've actuated the ABS with NT-05 tires, so I can't imagine braking to be any better.

When people say that the BBK has better stopping power what exactly does that mean?

Less brake fade I presume?

What about pedal effort? With my EBC Red, SS braided brake lines and slotted/x-drilled rotor upgrades I've yet to have a street situation where I was getting brake fade.

I've actuated the ABS with NT-05 tires, so I can't imagine braking to be any better.

Big Brake kits generally offer great brake torque, better heat absorbtion and dissipation which translates to more fade resistance.

http://daliracing.com/v666-5/catalog/index_browse_part.cfm?focus=2121#FAQ2

Right now it seems like your tires are currently the limiting factor. Step up to a stickier tire, and track that, and you'll find out if your brakes need upgrading.

You generally won't see that any brake fade in day to day street driving. You'll need to do long canyon runs or track days where the brake temperatures go up and stay up to start seeing fade. The type of brake pads will also play a major role in brake fade.

Last edited:
Big Brake kits generally offer great brake torque, better heat absorbtion and dissipation which translates to more fade resistance.

Right now it seems like your tires are currently the limiting factor. Step up to a stickier tire, and track that, and you'll find out if your brakes need upgrading.

You generally won't see that any brake fade in day to day street driving. You'll need to do long canyon runs or track days where the brake temperatures go up and stay up to start seeing fade. The type of brake pads will also play a major role in brake fade.
Yup.

More brake torque because the rotor is a lever arm and the larger the rotor, the less effort it takes to slow down a spinning wheel. Larger rotors also mean more heat dissipation and cooling is possible so your rotors will run cooler at the track.

If you fade street pads gojng legal speeds on the street then you have issues. Brake at the tires potential on a track lap after lap and you will fade them and need race pads. Do the same with wide and grippy tires and your rotors will heat soak and have brake fade. Thus a need for a bbk. That and in daily driving it will take less pedal pressure than stock to do the same stop due to a larger rotor. Or you can do it to look cool...

nt05.jpg

So I guess I need to step up to the R888 after those wear out.

Back