• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Which clutch should I get?

This thread is kind of funny in that, when you asked what kind of clutch people recommended, many recommended the OEM. Granted, the "pedal feel" is too light for your taste, but the OEM clamping power is strong enough to handle your bolt-on mods and it is a proven design. But now you seem to be in the position of just ordering anything as long as it's in stock!

"In Stock" doesn't seem like a sound basis upon which to base your decision.

Good luck in your search.

To me there is nothing funny about this thread!

and Yes, you are 100% right as to the fact that at this point I am "almost" willing to order anything just simply because it is in stock. But why is that so absurd? I'm the one with an NSX in the garage that cannot be driven! And no one seems to have the required part to put my car back on the road.

As far as Tilton, I took "NSX 3.0" advice and called John @ Acura at Brookfield in Wi. to order his Comptech clutches but they were defective. But while on the phone with him the Tilton clutch came up. He said that while the price is high it is by far the lightest assembly on the market and that I would NEVER EVER have to replace my clutch assembly again. He said he races them in his GT2 cars and has never burned one up and even if it does that you can shim it and get back down the road. So, for boosted applications and longevity the Tilton is the way to go in his opinion.

One thing I point I have not pressed on this thread is the fact that I don't want a heavy flywheel again. This is much more important to me than pedal feel, I like the fact that my cars revs faster and more easlily than stock. I should have stressed this more in the beginning of this thread maybe because even tho I didn't type it, it was/is on my mind. Also, I just really have a problem with what seems like going backwards with the mods on my car. I don't understand why that is so hard for some of you to understand. To me its the same as going outside and putting my stock intake and exhaust back on! and thats not going to happen either!

As far as SC or turbocharging the car, it is a possibility in the near future so that has been a consideration in the clutch purchase. So all my locals friends have been pushing me to get a strong clutch because they want me to boost the car, thats another reason for my resistance with the OEM.

1) Too light pedal feel
2) Heavy flywheel again
3) may boost soon

Sorry for this long explanation, but it did not seem that I was taking the time to explain myself properly and in return I was not getting the much needed help I was asking for without a healthy dose of sarcasm that I can do without.
And Yes it does seem as if I have been beaten, so yesterday I did check on a stock clutch, sux, but you have to admit I fought it to the end! LOL !

OK, A couple of guys that do not have NSX's recommended the Spec Clutch. Does anyone know anything about these. They are cheap and I'm a believer that you get what you pay for.

Centerforce. I have one with a CTSC. Great grip, smooth pedal feel.
Ok, Thnx for the tip. A couple of other people mentioned it and I kinda forgot. I'll go research that one and hope "ITS IN FREAKING STOCK!"

Hope you find what you are looking for Choosing the proper clutch is very important and its hard to just go by some ones word on how they feel/hold.I have this and love it! its an upgraded OEM:smile:
http://www.scienceofspeed.com/products/drivetrain_performance_products/NSX/ScienceofSpeed/clutch/

Chris was my first phone call when this quest started. But I don't have a core, so they want 1650 for the clutch and I had a hard time justifying that for an upgraded OEM. But now that so many people have recommended the stock OEM, I'm thinking this might be an alright path to take. Even tho expensive I think this flywheel is what sold me on this.
junultralwflywheel%5B1%5D.jpg

The Jun Ultralight Flywheel is a direct replacement for the factory 5-spd clutch flywheel. The flywheel is one piece manufactured from billet chromoly steel. The weight is 9.3 lbs, a 6.2 lb reduction from the factory flywheel.

This flywheel is compatible with the factory 5-spd clutch and aftermarket clutches based on the factory 5-spd clutch (ACT, ScienceofSpeed, etc.)

This flywheel is an excellent performance combination with this clutch.

specs
fitment:
NSX, 5-spd
NSX, 6-spd
(w/ conversion)

Jun Ultralight Flywheel
[dpp-351] $529.00

Crap, with the TO Bearing and shipping I'm at like 2600 for and Upgraded OEM!!!!!

...with the TO Bearing and shipping I'm at like 2600 for and Upgraded OEM!!!!!

Will the upgraded OEM have the greater pedal effort you desire? If not, then I'm still confused as to why you are avoiding the OEM clutch. The Jun flywheel is fine and you will benefit from it even with a 100% OEM clutch. Other than wanting an increased pedal effort I'm still unsure as to why you're even looking at aftermarket clutches.

Will the upgraded OEM have the greater pedal effort you desire? If not, then I'm still confused as to why you are avoiding the OEM clutch. The Jun flywheel is fine and you will benefit from it even with a 100% OEM clutch. Other than wanting an increased pedal effort I'm still unsure as to why you're even looking at aftermarket clutches.

One thing I point I have not pressed on this thread is the fact that I don't want a heavy flywheel again. This is much more important to me than pedal feel, I like the fact that my cars revs faster and more easlily than stock. I should have stressed this more in the beginning of this thread maybe because even tho I didn't type it, it was/is on my mind.

One thing I point I have not pressed on this thread is the fact that I don't want a heavy flywheel again. This is much more important to me than pedal feel, I like the fact that my cars revs faster and more easlily than stock. I should have stressed this more in the beginning of this thread maybe because even tho I didn't type it, it was/is on my mind.

OK...

The Jun flywheel is able to substitute for the OEM flywheel and as well as compatible with most aftermarket clutches. Just buy it separately.

I'm just not clear as to why you're even inquiring about the SOS upgraded OEM clutch. Seems you'd be spending $350 more for a beefed-up clutch for which you have no need. The upgrade only increases the pedal effort "minimally"--probably not enough to qualify as a significant increase. I know SOS tried very hard to keep the pedal effort close to stock during development.

BTW, Dali offers a ~16% lighter flywheel than the Jun for $21 more...and it appears to be in stock.

Simply order whatever clutch you want w/o the flywheel and get the lightweight one speparately. Again, I simply can't endorse any other clutch than the OEM if you don't plan on going FI.

If you are not going to supercharge or turbo down the road there is no need to go with anything other then a OEM. I went with the SOS clutch for piece of mind if and when I go FI, My car will be prepared for the extra Torque. I went with the OEM flywheel for derivability reasons, And the fact that I had bad experiences with changing the flywheel in my AUDI TT.

The NSX engine dose not have a problem revving it revs quite quickly. In a street driven car there is no need to upgrade the flywheel. Yes in a flat drag you might be able to shave a tenth of a second. But at the expense of having to rev the hell out of the motor and slip the clutch more due to laws of inertia, gas mileage will be reduced slightly, and your up hill performance will be compromised something for me is very important (where I live its very mountainous). Also note lighter is not always better.

Did they put a lighter weight flywheel in the NSX-R? If they did I wouldn’t go any lighter that.

As for the clutch you could put a bullet proof super stiff drag racing clutch that would never ware out with normal street driving. But do you want your car to drive like a drag car? These heavy-duty clutches are ON/OFF there is no in-between trust me you will be disappointed if you go with something like that.

The SOS feels stock it just holds better and is suppose to last longer if you decide to go FI

I have about 6k miles on my new clutch and no complaints I am very satisfied with my decision.

Godd luck
Charles:smile:

To me there is nothing funny about this thread!

Perhaps "funny" is the wrong word. I meant "peculiar", almost "ironic".

One thing I point I have not pressed on this thread is the fact that I don't want a heavy flywheel again.
As far as SC or turbocharging the car, it is a possibility in the near future so that has been a consideration in the clutch purchase.

Yes, you have not stressed, or even made, these points.

1) Too light pedal feel
2) Heavy flywheel again
3) may boost soon

Now we're getting somewhere. pbassjo recommended the Centerforce unit which may suit your needs, especially as concerns your desire for future FI.

You seem to be a little upset with me, but really, I'm just trying to help.

As far as SC or turbocharging the car, it is a possibility in the near future so that has been a consideration in the clutch purchase. So all my locals friends have been pushing me to get a strong clutch because they want me to boost the car, thats another reason for my resistance with the OEM.

1) Too light pedal feel
2) Heavy flywheel again
3) may boost soon

I missed this. If you are planning on going FI the only clutch I have extensive experience with is the OEM and the pre-06 RPS Stage 1 which I love but it seems the recent manufacturer defects have scared you away from that. Fair enough.

I have heard good things about the Ceterforce. I would of course recommend the SOS upgraded OEM but the price doesn't include the Jun flywheel so get whatever clutch you want but don't associate the Jun flywheel or any other light flywheel option with the OEM clutch necessarily. And again it seems the SOS OEM upgrade has only "minimally" greater pedal effort than the standard OEM and they probably worked very hard to keep it that way.

The one thing that is absolutely unnecessary is spending $4,700 on a clutch for a street-driven NSX--FI or not. I understand that a lot of products are out of stock right now but I have heard enough NSX clutch horror stories to wait until a recommended product becomes avaialble and not to impulse buy.

OK, I took a couple of weeks to cool down. This clutch thing had me frustrated, I'm sorry if I was short to anyone.
Thank-you all for your advice, I asked and recieved, good job, thats what this Forum is for.
I ordered another yesterday, they claim its in stock. As a matter of fact it was the only clutch they had in stock so I took it even tho it wqsn't what I initially was trying to order.
http://www.importrp.com/product.php?productid=63944&cat=64&page=1

I actually ordered it from Nopi
http://www.nopionline.com/nopistore...=1991&vnopinum=365+4367&vTitle=1991 ACURA NSX

Now step 2 is figure out who I want to install it!!! AAAuuuuggghhhhhh

which one does not chatter? Is not an "on/off" experience?

No chatter or on/off feel :confused: That's not an Exedy :eek:

I have this clutch , TiDave , and FactorX all use this clutch for HIGH HP race cars ONLY :redface:

Got asked 5 times at THill by Instructors and Flagger (SP) WTF is wrong with your car...........what's all the rattling :rolleyes:

Makes your car sound just like a Ducati motorcycle with a dry clutch and the cover OFF :mad: But the cool part is NO ONE can drive your car.

I joke with my friends that try to drive my car that the clutch is a theft deterrent :biggrin: as they KILL it 7 times getting out the driveway.

Search for this clutch and read the feedback. I've purchased 2 for less than ~$500 from owners that can't drive the car after install.

You may ask why buy extras? Exedy sells NO rebuildable parts :frown:

BTW: Tilton is all the same as above but rebuildable and lighter = harder to drive.

Update time. Got the Exedy and here are pics of getting the car ready and of the trip to Houston to take it to Carl at the Dealer.
7934_.jpg

7935_.jpg

7940_.jpg

7938_.jpg

This is Carl
7939_.jpg

Re: How much should I paid for a OEM clutch kit?

Hello...I think is time to replace the clutch in my 1992 NSX...Iam planning to use OEM clutch set...the best price for an OEM clutch set..and from where should I buy it...thank you..

Re: How much should I paid for a OEM clutch kit?

Hello...I think is time to replace the clutch in my 1992 NSX...Iam planning to use OEM clutch set...the best price for an OEM clutch set..and from where should I buy it...thank you..

Dali's price is $1,250 which is phenomenal and SOS has it for $1,495 which is very good. Do some research about both vendors before buying. :smile:

Funny, I was going to start a thread on this very topic. I have a Spec stage 2 and that is starting to get on my nerves. It took a long time to break in and stop chattering and it still doesn't engage as smoothly as I would like. I am seriously considering going back to an OEM clutch or the SOS clutch, since the OEM was a lot easier on my left leg.

Funny, I was going to start a thread on this very topic. I have a Spec stage 2 and that is starting to get on my nerves. It took a long time to break in and stop chattering and it still doesn't engage as smoothly as I would like. I am seriously considering going back to an OEM clutch or the SOS clutch, since the OEM was a lot easier on my left leg.

No need to deviate from OEM unless substantially increased power dictates it. :wink:

I tested a Clutchmasters single disk and really liked it. OEM pedal pressure, but grabs hard when you shift. Smooth engagment and all.

I like OEM, but feel the Clutchmasters is better. I've never liked the feeling of the OEM for the simple fact that it feels like it absorbs some power when you shift aggressively. Just my opinion of course, so please don't beat me up you OEM fans. :smile:

I tested a Clutchmasters single disk and really liked it. OEM pedal pressure, but grabs hard when you shift. Smooth engagment and all.

I like OEM, but feel the Clutchmasters is better. I've never liked the feeling of the OEM for the simple fact that it feels like it absorbs some power when you shift aggressively. Just my opinion of course, so please don't beat me up you OEM fans. :smile:

What stage clutchmasters did you try? I have been considering their stage 3 single disc, but have had difficulty determining overall satisfaction with this clutch.

It seems a few years ago some people stated they had it, and have not commented since... I suppose that is a good thing ;)

...I like OEM, but feel the Clutchmasters is better...

I think you mean the Clutchmasters feels better to you, which is fine, but it is not likely to be a better clutch.

Quality, lifespan, price, reliablilty and feel--there is no better clutch on the market than OEM. There's really nothing that needs to be improved upon. If you're running over 350 whp that's different and I would perhaps suggest a different clutch. If not, stick with OEM. :cool:

And after doing the briefest of searches just now about Clutchmasters products I've already seen enough to make me stay away--particularly if I'm running with stock/near stock power.

No need to experiment with such an important part. Do yourself a favor: stick with OEM.

Last edited:
By the way--Greg--how's that Exedy clutch working out? Am I misreading that or is that Stage 3 that you linked to only able to handle 238 lb/ft of torque? That's not going to be conducive to any future FI endeavors...:redface: Any chatter/shudder? How's the pedal effort?

Looks like the same price as OEM from Dali--just wondering if it satisfies your need for greater pedal effort while providing less reliability, quality, life and more noise than the OEM.

:wink:

I think you mean the Clutchmasters feels better to you, which is fine, but it is not likely to be a better clutch.

Quality, lifespan, price, reliablilty and feel--there is no better clutch on the market than OEM. There's really nothing that needs to be improved upon. If you're running over 350 whp that's different and I would perhaps suggest a different clutch. If not, stick with OEM. :cool:

And after doing the briefest of searches just now about Clutchmasters products I've already seen enough to make me stay away--particularly if I'm running with stock/near stock power.

No need to experiment with such an important part. Do yourself a favor: stick with OEM.

I would say the centerforce (SOS) clutch is a 'better' clutch than a new OEM kit, it's based off of the oem twin disc, has wear items replaced, and is able to handle more power. The concern I have, is I am producing more power than centerforce claims their stage1 clutch can handle. I am not sure how accurate these 'holding power' approximations are, but if the mfgr says it can handle my power level, it gives me a warm & fuzzy feeling.

I am making 420rwhp/320rwtq... it seems there are a few other FI guys using the clutchmasters. As for exedy... reaction seems to be pretty negative, short wear, and loud chatter. RPS has not had a good run the last few months, and, as you mention, there is no desire for experimentation with regard to clutches.

The clutch masters FX300 (stage3) is a single disc, they're popular with the Honda crowd (although at 1/3rd the price of their nsx offerings), and reaction from users with these other vehicles seems to be positive. I have not been able to find a picture of an "nsx" clutch masters clutch online, it seems all websites have stock photos of a generic clutch masters clutch. As I mentioned above, a few people mentioned installing a clutch masters stage 3, but there are no reviews from nsx owners, and no mention of the clutch after installation.

What stage clutchmasters did you try? I have been considering their stage 3 single disc, but have had difficulty determining overall satisfaction with this clutch.

It seems a few years ago some people stated they had it, and have not commented since... I suppose that is a good thing ;)

Scorp,

I'm 99% certain, the Clutch was a Stage 3. It was silky smooth, OEM like pedal pressure, but it grabbed hard when shifting aggresively. It was DPG's car I tested. Hopefully he can chime in, although he doesn't get on Prime too much.

Also, ModernCEO(Cory) has the same clutch on his 02 CTSC NSX. He gave it a great review as well.

I was trying to be specific, to my opinion. But you maybe correct. I'm not too sure the longevity of the Clutchmasters. Again, my personal impression, was it is a better feeling clutch than OEM. Ofcourse, some prefer the firmer clutches, some prefer on/off, and so on. Opinons, everyone has one... :smile:

Back