• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Which CRX

My son was looking for a Honda CRX and found 2. 90 CRX w/ B18A engine or
91 CRX w/ JDM B16A VTEC. The 91 is a $2k more but the 90 has extra parts car and 2 engine/trans. Any opinions.

I'd take the 91 with the B16. If the swap was done right and there aren't a bunch of electrical gremlins to deal with, it should be tons of fun. Is the car an SI, HX? If it's an SI then the swap "should" have gone pretty smoothly as far as the wiring goes. If it's an HX, then I might shy away since some pretty extensive wiring had to done. Check out http://www.honda-tech.com
I think it will be a really good site for you. Lot's of crazy kids on there, but also alot of very helpful people as well.

Good. Alot of people think that swaps are done right though. Buying somebody elses swap is scary. Did he do it himself or did a shop do it? Did he use Hasport mounts? What about axles? A B16 swap into a CRX is pretty straightforward, but still. I'd have it checked out by someone who has done a swap like this before.

White92 said:
I'd take the 91 with the B16. If the swap was done right and there aren't a bunch of electrical gremlins to deal with, it should be tons of fun. Is the car an SI, HX?

just thought i'd let you know, there are no HX CRX's. Lineup includes HF, DX, and Si. and as far as the wiring goes, HF's is almost, if not, the same as the Si wiring. Its the DX you have to look out for, has totally different wiring.

The reason being that HF and Si models have Multi Point Fuel Injection. DX models have dual point fuel injection, or in other words it has a intake manifold that looks like its carburated sort of.

From what I remember, the only thing that you would have to change on a HF car if you did an engine swap, is the fuel pump. Si fuel pump is a little stronger.

Dave Hardy said:
The B16A fits the charachter of the car better. I'm always hesitant to buy someone elses swap. Make sure you check for rust in all the normal places. I love my '91 Si with the single cam VTEC.

I had an '89 with the single cam VTEC , I miss that car. Easiest engine swap to do. Everything bolts right up with the exception of one engine mount on the block which was rather easy to swap with the old one.

Sorry. I meant HF. I must have been thinking about the HX Civic. :smile: I think the earlier HF's were carb'd too. That's why I was thinking to stay away from them. Maybe I'm wrong though.

84-87 CRX were carb'd with the the Si being the exemption.

NSXrebel said:
I had an '89 with the single cam VTEC , I miss that car. Easiest engine swap to do. Everything bolts right up with the exception of one engine mount on the block which was rather easy to swap with the old one.

I didn't even have to screw with the engine mount on this one, as I kept my stock bottom end and just swapped the head with one from a D16Y8. Stock dizzy, stock ECU, VAFC for VTEC and fuel. Red valve cover for bling effect :)

DSC00007.jpg

Comp_Lite_Front.jpg

Dave Hardy said:
I didn't even have to screw with the engine mount on this one, as I kept my stock bottom end and just swapped the head with one from a D16Y8. Stock dizzy, stock ECU, VAFC for VTEC and fuel. Red valve cover for bling effect :)

Ahh, yeah , forgot about that swap.

Ah...I bought a 1990 CRX brand new and drove it for years.

I heard the swaps go fairly well in these cars. I have a friend that did the B16 swap and it went well and also put a turbo charger on it. He was drag racing his car and it ran low 15's. I thought that was pretty good considering the car is really not that fast to begin with. The CRX handles AWESOME! and that what that car is all about.

It just nice to know that with all of his mods I still spank him with my NSX. :)

The biggest deal between 1988-1989 to the 1990-1991 was that the 1990-1991 had four wheel disk brakes and the 88-89 had a rear drum. The dash layout on the 90-91 has a bit sleeker as well (I think).

As a side note...Does anyone look at the new Hybrid cars that get 45-55 miles per gallon and everyone is in awe. A 1990 CRX HF would get that gas milage more than 10 years ago. Whats up with that?

Another side note: In Bermuda cars have to have an engine of less than 2.0 liters. There are lots or twisty roads there as well. The CRX SI would be great there.

I just love talkin; Old School :)

Jason

GlowNSX said:
I have a friend that did the B16 swap and it went well and also put a turbo charger on it. He was drag racing his car and it ran low 15's.

15's is kinda slow for a turbo car. 14's are more common. I'm currently fabricating a turbo system for my racecar, which is an 89 Civic Si. It is an autocross car though, not a drag car. In it's current trim (complete with Hoosier autox tires and 3* of camber) it runs a 15.5. With the turbo I'm expecting it to do low 14's in autox trim, or high 13's if I put on some slicks and dial out some camber.

Turbo_Installed_2.JPG

Welded_Downpipe.JPG

Welded_Downpipe_2.JPG

Maybe hes not good at the launch! :)

I dont dispute your numbers if its set up correctly but most people (95%) wont have the money to set up and tune a car correctly.

The car had a little torque steer in stock. I dont see how you can put that much power into a front wheel drive car and not have tons of torque steer. If there is a way please enlighten me.

Please dont take me the wrong way...I love CRXs.

Jaosn

My CRX with the VTEC head has a little bit of torque steer. It's a mid 16 second car, so it's pretty damn slow, but with the factory open diff, it happens.

My racecar, which is much faster, much more powerful, with bigger tires and a smaller steering wheel has no torque steer. The difference is that my racecar has a quaife.

Back