• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Which is the better combo: 04' NSX and 06' V10 M5 or 06' ZO6 and 00' M5??

Which do you think is the better choice?

• Keep my 04' NSX, sell my M5 and buy a new V10 M5

Votes: 44 53.7%
  • Keep my M5, sell the NSX and buy an 06' C6 ZO6

Votes: 8 9.8%
  • Keep my M5, sell the NSX and buy an 02' 996 turbo

Votes: 12 14.6%
  • Keep my M5 and NSX and buy an Evo 8 as a project car

Votes: 18 22.0%

• Total voters
Hey guys,

I need your help.

I am on the waiting list for the E60 M5 with the V10 and just put a deposit on a 06’ ZO6. Both cars will probably be here by next Christmas. However, to keep my spouse happy (buying and selling 4 sports cars over the past 18 months did not help), I can only have one. Whichever one I choose, I need to keep it for quite a few years (bosses order).

I recently purchased my 04’ NSX (I always wanted one since 1990) hoping its semi-exotic looks; technical excellence, handling dynamics and overall quality would overshadow its modest power. To further improve handling, I am adding wider wheels, aftermarket suspension and etc.

However, I am going through serious horsepower withdrawals. Keep in mind that my two cars prior to the NSX were a 570 rwhp ZO6 and a slightly modified 996 turbo. I regret selling my 996 turbo; it was the most enjoyable car I have ever owned. My supercharged ZO6 had insane acceleration, but I hated the cheap interior and poor workmanship. I have looked into forced induction, but was disappointed after driving a Comptech supercharged NSX.

In an attempt to fix my power addiction, I ordered a new C6 ZO6. With 500 hp and a top speed of almost 200 mph for approximately $70,000, it is a performance bargain. Also, the thought of bolting on a twin turbo or supercharger kit to the new ZO6 sounds absolutely fun. I just hope the redesign of the C6’s interior is substantial enough to keep my interest. I would like to have both the NSX and ZO6, but I just don’t think my wife will allow it, but you never know. I better start being nice. :)

My other dilemma is the need for a high power sport sedan for transporting the family. I have thoroughly enjoyed my 2000 M5 for 4 ½ years, which is the longest I have kept a car, since my first. However, I really want more power, to the point of almost replacing it with a supercharged E55 in the past. However, the thought of the Benz’s inferior handling and braking brings me back to my senses. I want an attractive sedan with sports car like handling and performance. The E60 M5 appears to offer all the performance attributes I am looking for, but I am not too sure of its appearance.

What do you guys think?

· Does the new C6 ZO6’s near super car performance make it a better overall choice than my NSX?

· Should I try to substantially modify (forced induction, BBK and etc)my NSX or is it a waste of time trying to achieve performance on par with the new ZO6?

· Should I get another 996 turbo versus the new C6 ZO6 even though the ZO6 will probably outperform the 996 in all performance aspects?

· Is the new V10 M5’s increased performance and improvements worth an extra $50,000 over my existing M5? (as a reference, my M5 has various Dinan engine mods, full suspension, wheel and big brake upgrades)

· Or should I just keep my M5 and NSX and get a project/track car such as a Mitsubishi Evo 8 and modify the heck out of it?

By the way, I have found the members on NSXPrime absolutely first class. I think part of automotive ownership is the camaraderie with fellow members. I had a great time at the JGTC and meeting the fellow members on this board. NSXPrime has made ownership of my NSX very enjoyable. Kudos to everyone here!

On the other hand, when I had my ZO6s, I attended the local club meetings and absolutely felt out of place. They were a completely different breed of enthusiasts.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Sandy

Last edited:
You are in Vegas. Have you taken your car by Factor X? I don't think you would be dissapointed with what they offer. I can see you not being impressed with a CTSC after owning two crazy fast cars.

1. The new M5 is UUUUGly. I mean DOG Ugly.

2. The E39 has plenty of go in it. 394 HP and 6 spd is a very, very nice combo.

3. The C6 Z06 is an Unbelievable performance bargain. You would have to spend atleast $140k to match it. 996TT with mods would come close. However in my book, the z06 with its nsx weight and 500 hp wins hands down.

So, That leads to a very simple conclusion for me. :wink:

you mention comradity (im not the best speller) with fellow owners. I personally don't really get along with die-hard american car fans which includes some vette owners. Alot can be very ignorant. I know when I see a Corvette I don't think twice, it's another car on the road to me. The new Z06 is a beast, but it just doesn't do anything for me. If you want pure speed, then yea take the Z06. I wouldn't buy a Corvette personally. But that's me, I tend to have a little more of a higher-class taste, which is why I love the NSX.

I just don't get along with people who like camaro's, vette's, mustangs, cuz all they mention is horsepower and straight lines. I believe a race isn't a race unless there are turns involved. IMO anyone can "press go" and go forward for 13 seconds. Not as much driver skill involved as the mechanic who tunes the car.

ehh im offtopic as usual haha... i personally love the new M5. You could sell the Z06 for profit if you get an early one. Take the M5, keep the NSX, or give it to me :D lol

NetViper said:
You are in Vegas. Have you taken your car by Factor X? I don't think you would be dissapointed with what they offer. I can see you not being impressed with a CTSC after owning two crazy fast cars.

NetViper,

I have spoken with Mike at FactorX a handful of times. However, his recommendation was installing the FX400 kit, since my car is relatively new. The FX500 has generally been installed on higher mileage cars, since they essentially perform a rebuild when completing their thorough conversion.

I just don't think the FX400 will be enough to cure my problem. :confused:

Hi Sandy,

All your choices are not what I would do. I would keep both NSX and the M5, get Factor X 500 on you NSX and you will be happy.

Selling your NSX now, you will loose any where from $15k-$25K, so why not just use that money and have Faxtor X put a 500+hp Turbo in it. Than get the NSX-R or Comptech suspension and you will have a sleeper on hand, when people think you have a sub 300hp NSX, you actually have a 500+ NSX.

Now that is way cool.

James

CerberusM5 said:
NetViper,

I have spoken with Mike at FactorX a handful of times. However, his recommendation was installing the FX400 kit, since my car is relatively new. The FX500 has generally been installed on higher mileage cars, since they essentially perform a rebuild when completing their thorough conversion.

I got the solution to your problem. I'll trade ya my 92 for your 04 so that you can put the FX500 kit on... :biggrin:

CerberusM5 said:

I think you would be surprised with the FX400. It give the NSX the most need TQ kick in the ass. Use the FX400 as a break in period. Then you can upgrade down the line.

NetViper said:
I think you would be surprised with the FX400. It give the NSX the most need TQ kick in the ass. Use the FX400 as a break in period. Then you can upgrade down the line.

NetViper,

How much faster does adding the FX400 kit make the car? Would you think it could keep pace with a 996 turbo at higher speeds? Who on the board has a FX400 car? Thanks.

CerberusM5 said:
NetViper,

How much faster does adding the FX400 kit make the car? Would you think it could keep pace with a 996 turbo at higher speeds? Who on the board has a FX400 car? Thanks.

Nobody has one :( FX says everyone who wanted one came out with the FX500.

But if you think about it, you are pushing over 400rwhp on stock internals. A 911 Turbo doesn't put that much to the wheels. Nor does a Z06 or older M5. It is plenty fast.

NetViper said:
Nobody has one :( FX says everyone who wanted one came out with the FX500.

But if you think about it, you are pushing over 400rwhp on stock internals. A 911 Turbo doesn't put that much to the wheels. Nor does a Z06 or older M5. It is plenty fast.

I think I need to speak with Mike again to see what he can put together for me. I am just suprised there are no FX400s out there. I am assuming they need to start strengthening the internals on the FX500 versus the 400? Do you know the main differences? Thanks.

NsXMas said:
I'd sell all the sports cars and get a Gallardo or F430 if you've got the money. Makes no sense to spread the money around for two nice cars when you can get a super car.

Then drive a used Accord for a daily.

I have thought of this option as well, but not cars as exotic as a Ferrari or Lambo. I can't afford the maintenance on those cars.

I have considered selling both the NSX and M5 and purchasing a Toyota Prius as my daily car and a used Porsche GT2 for my weekend toy. A used 2002 GT2 can now be found for a much more reasonable $135k versus its original $190k+ sticker.

Now that would be a great combo. The ultimate fuel miser and 911. :)

CerberusM5 said:
I have thought of this option as well, but not cars as exotic as a Ferrari or Lambo. I can't afford the maintenance on those cars.

I have considered selling both the NSX and M5 and purchasing a Toyota Prius as my daily car and a used Porsche GT2 for my weekend toy. A used 2002 GT2 can now be found for a much more reasonable $135k versus its original $190k+ sticker.

Now that would be a great combo. The ultimate fuel miser and 911. :)
I don't know, I just love the nsx. I would keep the nsx and the m5. As far as the vette and porsche, I don't like neither. I agree with Rickysals about the vette, they all look the same, and all they have is power. Where's the class and handling. Camaro's, mustangs, and vettes all fall under white trash to me. Sorry, just my opinion. Maybe I'm just a little harsh. I owned a camaro, and some other american cars, all broke down on me right after 50,000 miles. Maybe it's just my bad luck. Now I own a Lexus GS 400 and the nsx, love em both. Wouldn't give em up for anything. Nothing like class, speed, and reliability, all in one. And you have to love the attention the nsx gets. Vettes or porsches, you see them all over. Porsche is also an unreliable car, sorry, just my opinion.

pot 1 said:
I don't know, I just love the nsx. I would keep the nsx and the m5. As far as the vette and porsche, I don't like neither. I agree with Rickysals about the vette, they all look the same, and all they have is power. Where's the class and handling. Camaro's, mustangs, and vettes all fall under white trash to me. Sorry, just my opinion. Maybe I'm just a little harsh. I owned a camaro, and some other american cars, all broke down on me right after 50,000 miles. Maybe it's just my bad luck. Now I own a Lexus GS 400 and the nsx, love em both. Wouldn't give em up for anything. Nothing like class, speed, and reliability, all in one. And you have to love the attention the nsx gets. Vettes or porsches, you see them all over. Porsche is also an unreliable car, sorry, just my opinion.

I agree with some your comments that domestic cars don't appear to hold up as well as their imported competitors. I love the fact that the NSX is a rare vehicle unlike the tens of thousands of Corvettes, it just needs a lot more power in my opinion.

CerberusM5 said:
I love the fact that the NSX is a rare vehicle unlike the tens of thousands of Corvettes, it just needs a lot more power in my opinion.

GM build quality is improving. The C6 will have atleast a 3 yr. bumper to bumper warranty. :tongue:

btw, regarding needing more HP, EVERYBODY wants more power in their. From the Civic owners, to the GT2 owners. However, their has to be a balance between HP/Handling/Driveability/Reliability. I feel that the NSX does quite well when it comes to the balancing act.

either way, my vote based on your previous posts was: Z06, and 2000 M5

NSXLuvr said:
GM build quality is improving. The C6 will have atleast a 3 yr. bumper to bumper warranty. :tongue:

btw, regarding needing more HP, EVERYBODY wants more power in their. From the Civic owners, to the GT2 owners. However, their has to be a balance between HP/Handling/Driveability/Reliability. I feel that the NSX does quite well when it comes to the balancing act.

either way, my vote based on your previous posts was: Z06, and 2000 M5

Given the choice, would you opt for a Civic and a GT2 or an M5 and a ZO6?

awsomr1 said:
Hi Sandy,

All your choices are not what I would do. I would keep both NSX and the M5, get Factor X 500 on you NSX and you will be happy.

Selling your NSX now, you will loose any where from $15k-$25K, so why not just use that money and have Faxtor X put a 500+hp Turbo in it. Than get the NSX-R or Comptech suspension and you will have a sleeper on hand, when people think you have a sub 300hp NSX, you actually have a 500+ NSX.

Now that is way cool.

James

Hi James,

You have a real good point. It would be great to spank those C5 ZO6s, 996 turbos and the likes that seem to like to pick on my NSX.

Mike at FactorX must have a great time shocking unsuspecting super cars rolling up on him. :)

Sandy

I don't think you would be happy with the C6 Z06 after a few months let alone a few years. There is probably a reason why you sold your previous heavily modified Z06. From that alone it sounds like horsepower isn't enough. The car should also be refined and of high quality. I guess you need to determine what made you choose the NSX this time. If you want a mid-engine configuration, there isn't much left to choose from. I think the Ford GT is the only other mid-engine car still in production short of the Lamborghinis' and Ferraris'. You may still be able to find new Lotus Esprit V8 Twin Turbo. That car would fit the bill and be fairly reliable. Service shouldn't be anymore expensive than the NSX.

also keep in mind the depreciation of the C6 over the first couple of years. You could take the same money and have your NSX Fx'd !!! :wink: That's having your cake and eating it too!

If what you want is insane acceleration and a nice interior, get the Vette. It will never run on the track with the same precise feel you get with the NSX, but if that is not what you like, who cares. On the street the Vette will be fine.

So, keep the M5, get the Vette.

I love the way my NSX feels on the track, that precise feel, crips turn in and ease at which I can throttle steer it. The CTSC package in enough HP because I can't use much more in the way I like to drive the car, High boost set-up with an AEM will be the end of the build for me. I should end up with 360 RWHP when I am tuned, and be able to run safely and still have the luxury, exotic car feel.

If it were me and I could only have 2 cars, keep the M5, FI the NSX.

Now if you can have three cars, keep the M5 and the NSX, buy a 91 NSX and strip it for a track rat! Do a stage 2 NA build on the motor and headers/exhaust, drop 600-800 lbs. of creature comforts, put in track seats and a harness bar, Tein RE suspension, race sways, short gear 5 speed, R compound tires, maybe wheels, a scooped hood for some more down force. Once you lighten the car, stock brakes will always be enough, the extra 50-60 HP will feel like 100 HP and the car so damn much fun to drive! At least on the track :rolleyes:

The AMG E55 was kinda thrown out of the equation early on in this thread.
Have you driven the newer ones? That car is amazing, only drawback being no stick. The M5 and E55 are on oposites sides of the spectrum, however, The M5 being a supercar sports sedan with enough creature comforts to drive every day, while the E55 is a lux sedan the the power of a supercar.

Vegas Boy said:
The AMG E55 was kinda thrown out of the equation early on in this thread.
Have you driven the newer ones? That car is amazing, only drawback being no stick. The M5 and E55 are on oposites sides of the spectrum, however, The M5 being a supercar sports sedan with enough creature comforts to drive every day, while the E55 is a lux sedan the the power of a supercar.

VegasBoy,

Actually, I have driven the E55K at least a half dozen times. In fact, I had lunch with a friend who has an 04'.

I prefer the look of the E55K over the upcoming M5. It is a very elegant looking sedan in my opinion and the interior design is very nice as well. Unfortunately, I cannot say the same for the E60 M5. The primary reason I am on the list for the M5 is that awesome V10 powerplant. I am also hoping the stellar handling is improved even further on the E60.

The reason I am hesitant on the E55 is the ponderous and heavy handling characteristics. Can a aftermarket suspension and larger wheels/tires completely change the character of the car?

I love the engine in the E55K, it is very smooth and has LOTS of torque. The E55K will definitely outrun my M5. Also, Renntech sells a new ECU that boost the power even further. Too bad they do not make an E600 with the twin turbo V12. I know MB is planning to replace the supercharged V8 with a larger displacement NA motor, but I don't know if it will eclipse the current car's performance.

Do you know of anyone who has replaced the suspension and brakes on their E55K?

Thanks.

You can get various MB tuners to tighten up the handling on the E55, for sure, but it still is going to be a heavy car. I think the E55 strives to
be a fist in a velvet glove, and does not deliver a "sports sedan" type feel like an M5.

I agree with you on the new 5 series styling- I think it looks like a Pontiac Grand Prix :tongue: . Thats why I am probably going MB on my next sedan purchase even tho I have owned BMWs for years.

Sandy what made you buy a NSX in the first place? Style, originality, handling? thats what you should think about b4 going the next route I'm actually surprised that you went with the NSX after all the powerful cars you've had because I agree with you about the NSX lacking power but it makes up 4 what it lacks in other areas such as reliablity,looks, one of very few on the road and the ability to pay for service and still eat. Kinda hard 2 decide on the cars your choosing but all in al,l its you that makes the final decision kinda interested 2 see which way you go. Now that the weather is getting better we should start meeting up again give me a call.

Back