• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Which is the better combo: 04' NSX and 06' V10 M5 or 06' ZO6 and 00' M5??

Which do you think is the better choice?

• Keep my 04' NSX, sell my M5 and buy a new V10 M5

Votes: 44 53.7%
  • Keep my M5, sell the NSX and buy an 06' C6 ZO6

Votes: 8 9.8%
  • Keep my M5, sell the NSX and buy an 02' 996 turbo

Votes: 12 14.6%
  • Keep my M5 and NSX and buy an Evo 8 as a project car

Votes: 18 22.0%

• Total voters
special k said:
Sandy what made you buy a NSX in the first place? Style, originality, handling? thats what you should think about b4 going the next route I'm actually surprised that you went with the NSX after all the powerful cars you've had because I agree with you about the NSX lacking power but it makes up 4 what it lacks in other areas such as reliablity,looks, one of very few on the road and the ability to pay for service and still eat. Kinda hard 2 decide on the cars your choosing but all in al,l its you that makes the final decision kinda interested 2 see which way you go. Now that the weather is getting better we should start meeting up again give me a call.

Hey Keith,

Happy New Year! I hope you and your family had a nice holiday. I agree, we need to get together soon.

There were several reason I bought the NSX:

1. I have always wanted one since they originally came out in 1990.
2. Semi exotic styling
3. Mid-engine design with its delicate/precise handling characteristics
4. It is a comfortable daily driver sports car
5. Relative scarcity

Unfortunately, I did not do enough research prior to purchasing the car in regards to aftermarket options for forced induction. However, I am thinking about the FX400 kit. I want the 500 kit, but don't want to rebuild the whole motor, since it is essentially brand new.

I went for a drive in the FX twin turbo car this afternoon and it runs real strong and it was only running pump gas. :eek: Now that car would get me over my horsepower withdrawals. Thanks again Mike.

Keith, I will call you this week. Take care.

Sandy

CerberusM5 said:
Hey guys,

I need your help.

I am on the waiting list for the E60 M5 with the V10 and just put a deposit on a 06’ ZO6. Both cars will probably be here by next Christmas. However, to keep my spouse happy (buying and selling 4 sports cars over the past 18 months did not help), I can only have one. Whichever one I choose, I need to keep it for quite a few years (bosses order).

I recently purchased my 04’ NSX (I always wanted one since 1990) hoping its semi-exotic looks; technical excellence, handling dynamics and overall quality would overshadow its modest power. To further improve handling, I am adding wider wheels, aftermarket suspension and etc.

However, I am going through serious horsepower withdrawals. Keep in mind that my two cars prior to the NSX were a 570 rwhp ZO6 and a slightly modified 996 turbo. I regret selling my 996 turbo; it was the most enjoyable car I have ever owned. My supercharged ZO6 had insane acceleration, but I hated the cheap interior and poor workmanship. I have looked into forced induction, but was disappointed after driving a Comptech supercharged NSX.

In an attempt to fix my power addiction, I ordered a new C6 ZO6. With 500 hp and a top speed of almost 200 mph for approximately $70,000, it is a performance bargain. Also, the thought of bolting on a twin turbo or supercharger kit to the new ZO6 sounds absolutely fun. I just hope the redesign of the C6’s interior is substantial enough to keep my interest. I would like to have both the NSX and ZO6, but I just don’t think my wife will allow it, but you never know. I better start being nice. :)

My other dilemma is the need for a high power sport sedan for transporting the family. I have thoroughly enjoyed my 2000 M5 for 4 ½ years, which is the longest I have kept a car, since my first. However, I really want more power, to the point of almost replacing it with a supercharged E55 in the past. However, the thought of the Benz’s inferior handling and braking brings me back to my senses. I want an attractive sedan with sports car like handling and performance. The E60 M5 appears to offer all the performance attributes I am looking for, but I am not too sure of its appearance.

What do you guys think?

· Does the new C6 ZO6’s near super car performance make it a better overall choice than my NSX?

· Should I try to substantially modify (forced induction, BBK and etc)my NSX or is it a waste of time trying to achieve performance on par with the new ZO6?

· Should I get another 996 turbo versus the new C6 ZO6 even though the ZO6 will probably outperform the 996 in all performance aspects?

· Is the new V10 M5’s increased performance and improvements worth an extra $50,000 over my existing M5? (as a reference, my M5 has various Dinan engine mods, full suspension, wheel and big brake upgrades)

· Or should I just keep my M5 and NSX and get a project/track car such as a Mitsubishi Evo 8 and modify the heck out of it?

By the way, I have found the members on NSXPrime absolutely first class. I think part of automotive ownership is the camaraderie with fellow members. I had a great time at the JGTC and meeting the fellow members on this board. NSXPrime has made ownership of my NSX very enjoyable. Kudos to everyone here!

On the other hand, when I had my ZO6s, I attended the local club meetings and absolutely felt out of place. They were a completely different breed of enthusiasts.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Sandy

I wish I had these decisions to make! LOL

IMO - the M5 is one of the best sports sedans EVER - and the new one is butt ugly. keep your E39 (you could mod it too). The NSX is one of the best all around sports cars EVER. Keep your NSX and mod it.

dang.....someone's a baLLER here!!! :wink: :biggrin:

keep the NSX(mod the hell out of it)...and buy the new M5... :cool:

Last edited:
HondaArrArrr said:
What djskyy said... :smile: Baller hehe

Hey guys,

I am not too up on urban slang. What is a "Baller"? I am hoping it is a positive term.

However, just for the record, I am not a Baller (whatever it stands for). :biggrin:

I believe Baller and Ballin' come from Player's Ball, i.e. a gathering of pimps.

It is a term that basically describes a person who is well off in material possession and somewhat flashy about it. The 'sport' of old. (I just watched the Jack Johnson documentary on PBS-HD, very good).

It is often misapplied to people who have nice things, regardless of whether they flaunt it.

HondaArrArrr said:
Let's just say Shaq daddy is a "baller" :biggrin:

In that case, I am the anti-baller. However, I wouldn't mind Shaq's cash flow. (It would make my current car dilemma disappear, but then I would have the problem of choosing which Ferrari or Lambo to drive each day) :biggrin:

I am just a confused car enthusiast trying to find the perfect car for me. However, I think I am getting closer to deciding which way to go.

Thanks again guys.

That is the best Caucasian definition for ball’a I have ever heard :wink:

brahtw8 said:
I believe Baller and Ballin' come from Player's Ball, i.e. a gathering of pimps.

It is a term that basically describes a person who is well off in material possession and somewhat flashy about it. The 'sport' of old. (I just watched the Jack Johnson documentary on PBS-HD, very good).

It is often misapplied to people who have nice things, regardless of whether they flaunt it.

CerberusM5,

I think you need therapy:D There must be some big time issues in your past to have to make everything stronger, faster and have more horsepower than you can ever really use. (Although the Prius/GT2 is intriguing). Realize this is coming from somebody who bought a second NSX to make a track car instead of getting a Miata like a "smart" guy would. BTW, I voted for option #4.

After reading all your comments and doing some soul searching. I think I am starting to consider keeping both my M5 (at least until I have driven the new V10) and the NSX and look for a project car to modify and use a track rat. I took the NSX out today and really drove it hard through some twisties. It was lots of fun. I can't wait to install a suspension package on the car to sharpen things up and reduce the dreaded understeer.

In regards to project cars, the Evo 8 is high on my list, however I just don't care for the boy racer look and rental car interior. Also, after attending the JGTC, I have a new found respect for the 350Z. There appears to be lots of aftermarket support for both these cars and relatively inexpensive to modify. Or maybe I should consider a C5 ZO6 again? :confused:

Any ideas for a project car under $40k guys? Thanks again.

Last edited:
CerberusM5 said:
After reading all your comments and doing some soul searching. I think I am starting to consider keeping both my M5 (at least until I have driven the new V10) and the NSX and look for a project car to modify and use a track rat. I took the NSX out today and really drove it hard through some twisties. It was lots of fun. I can't wait to install a suspension package on the car to sharpen things up and reduce the dreaded understeer.

In regards to project cars, the Evo 8 is high on my list, however I just don't care for the boy racer look and rental car interior. Also, after attending the JGTC, I have a new found respect for the 350Z. There appears to be lots of aftermarket support for both these cars and relatively inexpensive to modify. Or maybe I should consider a C5 ZO6 again? :confused:

Any ideas for a project car under $40k guys? Thanks again.

Get the EVO MR with no wing in dark grey... there are many low cost mods to easily make it an 11 second car that handles as well in dry, wet, dirt, or sand (since your from vegas) what a sleeper!!

CerberusM5 said:
I took the NSX out today and really drove it hard through some twisties. It was lots of fun. I can't wait to install a suspension package on the car to sharpen things up and reduce the dreaded understeer.

I noticed you have some understeering problems and I thought I may offer some help. I live in Italy in the mountains area ...we only have twisties here and handling is everything if you want to "survive" on the road :wink:
2 things you can do to reduce understeer quickly are
1. check tire pressure. Normally a softer tire would reduce understeer, this was not the case in my car. I strongly recommend factory settings.
2. reduce your front toe-out slightly. You may lose some crispness, but you'll get less understeering.
Remember that stiffening the front suspension will get you MORE understeering unless you more than compensate on the back. Stiffer suspensions in general provide better handling in transients, but less ultimate grip, as weight will not be redistributed dynamically through the four corners.
On a separate note, understeering on very tight bends may be due the LS differential kicking in. I noticed I had some more of this understeering after I upgraded to an original 6-gear NSX-R box on my 91, because of the tighter LSD settings. Just dose your throttle and try to balance the act with some power oversteering. It can be very fun and very fast.

Finally, nobody said that yet, but remember the NSX has only a 3.0 or 3.2 l. engine. The big kick comes from the fact that we compete in a different class where we are practially umbeatable. What a fantastic satisfaction to drive a "giant killer" car. Just like winning the higher class on a race. On the other hand there will always be a bigger class above you.

Mike

Keeping my NSX!

Hey guys,

I appreciate all your input, it has been very helpful. I spent a lot of time discussing this matter with a good friend and finally came to a decision.

I have decided to keep my NSX (again). I am going to use it as my daily driver and enjoy it as much as possible.

I am also going to keep my M5. I don't think the new V10 M5 performance increase will be worth the $50k+ premium over my car. I would rather spend the $50k towards the ZO6. However, if the new M5 is a huge performance leap forward, I may change my mind.

I looked at new C6s tonight and decided to keep the ZO6 on order. I don't like the cheap molded plastic interior parts and leather that feels like vinyl, but I just can’t get over the alure of 427 cubic inches with 500 horsepower and the extensive use of aluminum, magnesium and carbon fiber in the ZO6. This car will be an awesome platform car!

Let the mods on the NSX begin. :biggrin:

Last edited:
Man sell the M5 and buy the new M5. The NSX is going to hold it's value the best out the cars you have said you might want. The new M5 is a technological marvel with a V10 and 500hp. I forgot the seven speed tranny. I have yet to purchase my NSX but have wanted one since they came out and my dad had a 94. But hey everyone has an opinion but I think that the NSX is probably the best overall exotic that anyone could get. Also the C6 Corvette interior is much better than the C5 but nothing like an import. The Z06 is going to be cool no doubt and I also had a high horsepower C5 Z06 but I don't want another one, even though my C5 was one of the most trouble free cars that I had even after the mods that I did to it. You just can't beat exclusivity and that is what the NSX has!!!

Back