• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Which one of you NSX owners got beat by a FD towing a trailer with race stuff?

http://www.rx7club.com/showthread.php?t=165797&highlight=hitch+fd

attachment.php

come out come out where ever you are...........

That was me! But jokes on him. I had my camper top on the NSX and I couldn't go too fast or I would have spilled the beans I was cooking on the stove.

We can't see the thread he's talking about.
Have to be a member....

But the person is in Texas so I'm curious as to what you're posting

He should get a bigger trailer, so that he can tow his RX7 buddies when they break down. JK

My FD has never put me at the side of the road.

When the apex seals busted I was left with 4 combustion chambers (down from 2). I was able to drive it for months. Worse case scenerio when the apex seals completely blew out, I still was able to limp it home or the shop.

We can't see the thread he's talking about.
Have to be a member....

But the person is in Texas so I'm curious as to what you're posting

It came up in a conversion with some of my RX7 buddies from a while ago when they clowned the NSX "performance numbers".

I had to find out what the real story was from the NSX owner.

I was joking around and the FD RX7 is a car I will one day own. Maybe we can chat a bit about the FD when I'm ready to buy one and you can give me the inside scoop and what to look out for.

Is it cooler to say FD rather than RX7? I dont understand because you interchange them in your posts.

What the hell does FD stand for anyway?

BTW - Wouldn't racing while towing a trailer be a really stupid thing to do?

Is it cooler to say FD rather than RX7? I dont understand because you interchange them in your posts.

Chassis code... like NA2.. FC is the one before.. FD is your cool one that everyone likes.
233592518_4de2992c38.jpg

Last edited:

FD refers to the 3rd gen RX7. The good looking one....

batman12.JPG

The others either look like a 911 slantnose or 944....

But what does FD stand for?
FA FB FC FD? I dunno? C4 C5 C6.. NA1 NA2... probably some sort of inside mazda thing. Every car has a chassis code.

Doesn't really need to mean anything.... does it?

FA FB FC FD? I dunno? C4 C5 C6.. NA1 NA2... probably some sort of inside mazda thing. Every car has a chassis code.

U are correct. It's just some sequencing that Mazda decided on.

The weird part is that the RX8 ( not really a RX7 replacement ) was named FE.

Well I'm sure there is a reason they choose FD.....unlikely they just came up with those 2 letters by random chance.

I always thought NA stood for Naturally Aspirated.

Fugly-A Fugly-B.....Fugly-D???

Well I'm sure there is a reason they choose FD.....unlikely they just came up with those 2 letters by random chance.

I always thought NA stood for Naturally Aspirated.

You do know there was an FB and FC, right?

(Probably an FA as well, but I'm not positive).

FB:
jccs2009-190-7445_mazdaRX-7_sa22c-FB.jpg

FC:
pics-max-8690-322356-mazda-rx7-fc-a.jpg

...and the next generation was the FD. There ya go. You have call your chassis something... and as it grows in progression you change it. 911? 996 997?

Here you go... a better explanation...

"Series 2 (1981–1983) had integrated plastic-covered bumpers, wide black rubber body side moldings, wraparound taillights and updated engine control components. The GSL package provided optional 4-wheel disc brakes, front ventilated (Australian model) and clutch-type rear limited slip differential (LSD). Known as the "FB" in North America after the US Department of Transportation mandated 17 digit Vehicle Identification Number changeover. Elsewhere in the world, the 1981-1985 RX-7 retained the 'SA22C' VIN prefix. As a result, enthusiasts outside North America never picked up the "FB" nickname. The license-plate surround looks much like Buhrer's "Styling Impressions."

You do know there was an FB and FC, right?

(Probably an FA as well, but I'm not positive).

...and the next generation was the FD. There ya go. You have call your chassis something... and as it grows in progression you change it. 911? 996 997?

Actually I didn't, but now I do. And it seems from the other post Mazda didn't pick the FB designation and never called their chassis that. Interesting.

It's a nick-name reference.

The FD is an awesome Rx-7 because it was a radical departure by Mazda relative to past and current platforms which have a rotary engine. It is a legendary sports car.

Having owned many sports cars the FD Rx-7 still holds my heart due to its performance and beauty. It was a 2 year love affair and still the best pure sports car I've ever owned.

I miss my 93 red Rx-7 R1. What a beast.

Edit. I've owned 3 Rx-7s btw. An 81 GS, 85 GSL-SE (awesome) and the 93 R1.

Last edited:
I had a 3rd gen Rx7 for a short time.

It was great looking, had a decent interior...but damn...it was like piloting a tin can. :eek:

I think the FD is one of the prettier cars to come out of Japan. Their owners however.... :wink:

Back