• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Who does engine rebuilds

you should post this in the South East regional forum.

I would consider Steve Gooding here in Raleigh, NC. Search the forum for many, many favorable comments on Steve and the NSX work he has done.

If you need contact information, let me know.

I agree about doing this regionally. In Las Vegas we have FXMD that does engine builds and a few other guys that I am not familiar with. I'm not sure about back in the East Coast.

You definetly want to talk to Steve Gooding in Raleigh. He has a tremendous amount of experience and gives better than fair prices. He is also extremely honest and will only recommend what you really need to have done.

You definetly want to talk to Steve Gooding in Raleigh. He has a tremendous amount of experience and gives better than fair prices. He is also extremely honest and will only recommend what you really need to have done.

Sounds like the greatest mechanic I never had.

I strongly recommend Steve as well. He will do whatever you want and give you his honest opinion at a more then fair price.

He is the only mechanic that has touched my car. Not to mention I live 2 hours away from him ... I e-mailed him, explained the issue and he told me what he thought it was. He said ... "I am 90% sure of it!"

I ordered the part, installed it ... bam... problem solved. He knows these car inside and out.

You will not be disspointed.

Most mechanics do not do engine rebuilds and simply don't have the shops to do so.

There are 4 vendors that are proven have my vote-
Science of Speed - proven
Comptech - proven
FXMD - cutting edge technologies
Autowave - semi-proven

There are others (such as Jim Elkins from LoveFab, Larry B., etc.) that I have not dealt with directly.

I'm not telling you where to go, just letting you know where others have chosen to go for success.

Of those names listed add John Vasos at Brookfield IL.

Also add Ted, the top NSX tech at Muller's Woodfield Acura in Hoffman Estates, a suburb northwest of Chicago. He has rebuilt several NSX engines as well as transmissions, and has been working on my '91 NSX since it was new. That's where I had my NSX towed when the engine blew. It turns out that it was more cost-effective to replace the engine than to rebuild it, but I was happy with Ted doing the work, either way.

Of those names listed add John Vasos at Brookfield IL.

At one point I had John Vasos on speed dial. While he may be an expert on the NSX, I have never commisioned him or spoken with others who have had him rebuild their engine - ground up. If 5 people can voice that they have received a full engine rebuild from him, by his service center, I will certainly add him. I'm not saying he has not achieved status, just that I am unaware of it.

To be fair, there are others that I have pointedly not included, either due to their lack of professionalism, lack of customer service or for outsourcing their work. There is a shop here in Columbus, Ohio that has built a couple of NSX engines, but they are neither pros nor capable of warranting their work. If you are getting it rebuilt, do it once! Buyer beware!

Thank you all for your help. I have spoken with Steve Gooding and decided to bring him my car in March. I have also decided to just address some minor oil leaks as well as the timing belt and water pump. While I have always worked on my own cars, as I get older and make more money my time appears to be more valuable.

Thank you all again for your help.

While I have always worked on my own cars, as I get older and make more money my time appears to be more valuable.

I agree 100%.

My checkbook works petty hard these days.

Back