• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Who "settled" for a pre-97?

nsxtasy said:
Curb weight (full fluids and all standard equipment, no occupants or luggage):

1991-92 5-speed NSX Coupe 3010 pounds
1997-01 6-speed NSX-T 3164 pounds
1997-01 6-speed NSX Coupe Non-Zanardi 3069 pounds
1999 6-speed Zanardi NSX 3015 pounds
2002-04 6-speed NSX-T 3153 pounds

That is the second time you have published that list Ken.. but where is the 93/94 on there??

Same with me!

I Grok NSX said:
I looked specifically for a 94. In 1994, Honda had all the bugs worked out (for the most part) and it was a hard top. If I had the resources, I'd buy that 2001 White Coupe that has been for sale for months. I just don't want a "T".

Ditto with me!

Ideally, I would have a non-red, black top coupe, 3.2L, 6 speed NSX without power steering. Unfortunately, those are a tad tricky to find especially in the US and within my budget. I ended up chosing between 94s and 97s and found more of what I was looking for (for less money) in the 94s. YMMV.

gheba_nsx said:
I settled for a 1993... I already had two 1991s and I sold the last one (silver, now Martin's one) in September last year to buy a perfect&clean 1997 NSX-T that waited at a dealership for come months... and ZZZAPPP!!! two weeks before I could buy it, it was picked by someone else! :rolleyes: :(

I was so sad that I wanted to back out from the deal I agreed with Martin, but afterall it was not his fault... so I sold it anyway and I bought the perfect condition and nicely modded black NSX I own now.

I cannot say I regret this: but sure I wish a 3.2l, 6-speeds and Targa when it is sunny outside... :p

Hi

And boy where those scary times :eek:

I would also have liked to buy a 3.2/T but that would mean about $29.000 more in tax on the car.

Here in Norway we pay a tax based on horsepower, weight and year. So if you buy a very light vehicle with a small engine which is also very old the tax on the car will be "cheap".

If you however buy a pretty new NSX with the increased horsepower you will have to pay a lot more tax.

That is why I setteled for a 1991. And I have not looked back. But it would be nice to have that 6 speed 3.2 for sure. Targa is not that importent to me.

Regads

NetViper said:
That is the second time you have published that list Ken.. but where is the 93/94 on there??
I don't know those weights off the top of my head (nor the '95-96). The '93-94 should be very close to the '91-92, but not exactly the same; differences are due to slight changes like R-134a A/C and cupholder in '93, larger wheels in '94, etc.

EssTooKayTD said:
Hey all,

Of you owners, who "settled" for a pre-97 model and do you regret it or not? I know most of the differences. I was just curious about the general concensus. I know the price plays a big role in the choice for potential buyers like me. Can I swing 50k+ maybe, would it be smart? maybe not :)

Just curious and trying to get a little more familiar with the Prime community.
Tom

Buy the car you like and want, and that you can afford. Even if that means saving up some extra cash. Just for the record, I think that all NSX's are fun to drive, regardless of year. :)

Re: Re: Who "settled" for a pre-97?

Meeyatch1 said:
Buy the car you like and want, and that you can afford. Even if that means saving up some extra cash. Just for the record, I think that all NSX's are fun to drive, regardless of year. :)

Ultimately, that is what will happen. I can see by your siggy, that you in fact own a 91 and a 94. Seems like that 97 is next, heh.

You should edit your post to say, "Buy the 91, then the 94, then go from there." :D

After much research I bought a '94 hard top about an year ago. It was light and with

some moderate weight reduction I was able to make it very fast. The wt/hp ratio was better than my Supra Turbo (after weight reduction). After baby #2 was born, I sold the car but could not stand to be without the NSX. So, a couple of months ago, after again considering the options, I bought another NSX. After having owned a 94, and knowing the advantages and disadvantages of pre-97s and post, I once again opted for a 94 hard top.

For me the significantly lighter car (over 150 lbs) with a rigid and flex free body (compared to targa) was the most important consideration.

I have no regrets whatsoever. But it is true that no matter what year your NSX, you cannot go wrong. :)

brahtw8 said:
Given the US production numbers of the early cars versus the later cars, most people who own NSXs have 'settled' for an earlier car.

I would be interested in upgrading to a 97+ coupe or Zanardi, but a Targa does not fit my purposes.
Ditto. I'd probably only do the Zanardi, as I don't see the marginal improvement with (the even rarer) 97+ coupe. Wish the Z-NSX came in other colors besides red, though :rolleyes:

A good amount of my "fun" drives with this car include track events, and several local-area clubs will not allow NSX-T cars. Even for those that do, IMO the tradeoffs (removable top vs. loss of rigidity) don't work for me, although I understand that this is fine for a lot of folks.

Also, for those interested in engine mods, the OBD-I cars (1991-1994) are in general easier to modify.

##############

FWIW, I "settled" for a 1991 red/ivory in 1997, and again in 1998 for my 1993 silver/black. Absolutely no regrets whatsoever.

nsx1164 said:
FWIW, I "settled" for a 1991 red/ivory in 1997, and again in 1998 for my 1993 silver/black. Absolutely no regrets whatsoever.

I didn't realize you had a 1993 like mine. Do you know who else has a 1993 silver/black? Not many silver/black 93s around. (26 in total from the FAQs, not counting a few autos.)

Just my $.02. I cannot tell you to wait for a '97+ since I have never driven one. I suspect it would be fabulous; just as I know my '96 is fabulous. Therein lies the rub. I wanted a '97+ and fortunately had the resources to get one, yet I was pleasantly impatient and because I did not want to trek across country to buy one or even worse for me, buy one sight unseen, I waited until a local opportunity arose, which turned out to be a pristine '96. I have no regrets and am glad that I was able to purchase one that I could check out thorougly. So, for me, waiting was not thechoice, I took the best I could find local and have been happy ever since. :D

This is great. I'm still waiting mine out. I haven't been back to this thread in a while, but I think I'm still addicted to modding my S2000, and will continue to do so while I finish paying it off. Once that is done, hopefully my NSX will show up.

The Stupidest thread ever

Who "settled" for a pre-97? What a joke!

I can't believe this thread received this many responses!

Who ever thought that buying an NSX, no matter the year would be settling! Considering I worked very hard to buy my 91, this subject line especially offends me.

I would take just about any NSX over a S2000. I’ve driven a S2000 and thought is was junk!:mad:

Re: Re: The Stupidest thread ever

honda606 said:
Then you're an absolute moron. Congrats!

Easy with the attack! Did I assail you personally?

If you own a S2000 it’s your fault not mine. Don’t take your anger out on me.

Call me want you want, at least I had enough common sense to buy a real sports car!

If you drive a S2000 then you are the moron!

;)

Re: The Stupidest thread ever

vintagecarman said:
Who "settled" for a pre-97? What a joke!

I can't believe this thread received this many responses!

Who ever thought that buying an NSX, no matter the year would be settling! Considering I worked very hard to buy my 91, this subject line especially offends me.

I would take just about any NSX over a S2000. I’ve driven a S2000 and thought is was junk!:mad:

WOW haha, read his post carefully. He did not post the word settled with quotation marks for nothing. I think you took what he wrote a little too seriously. I meant settled as in got the 3.0L w/ 5-speed instead of the 3.2L w/ 6-speed. He even stated that he used the word 'settled' for lack of a better word. calm down.

And you call the S2000 junk is a little over statement no? :p

EssTooKayTD said:
oh yeah, exactly my point. I know pre-97's are still AWESOME cars. No arguement there :) But post 97's are arguably a more desireable car, unless there is things I don't know about (highly likely).

READ THAT

Re: Re: The Stupidest thread ever

KulSecHskY said:
WOW haha, read his post carefully. He did not post the word settled with quotation marks for nothing. I think you took what he wrote a little too seriously. I meant settled as in got the 3.0L w/ 5-speed instead of the 3.2L w/ 6-speed. He even stated that he used the word 'settled' for lack of a better word. calm down.

And you call the S2000 junk is a little over statement no? :p

Ok, I agree calling the S2000 junk is an over statement. Although, I would never own one

Either way, I just don't appreciate this thread. I can't see how a car like the NSX, which is a “dream car” for most people, could ever be a car that some one would have to settle for. Regardless of the year!

Sure I would like a 97+ but I worked hard to afford my 91. I’ve settled for a few things in my life however, my 91 NSX is not one of them. Context not taken out of order just not appreciated!

If ESSTOOKAYTD wanted to learn more about the difference between the models or the general consensus he could of used “search’ or posted "why buy a 97 over 91-96"

I don’t know of any one who ever regretted buying any NSX. Sorry if I sound up-set!

Re: Re: Re: The Stupidest thread ever

vintagecarman said:
Ok, I agree calling the S2000 junk is an over statement. Although, I would never own one

Either way, I just don't appreciate this thread. I can't see how a car like the NSX, which is a “dream car” for most people, could ever be a car that some one would have to settle for. Regardless of the year!

Sure I would like a 97+ but I worked hard to afford my 91. I’ve settled for a few things in my life however, my 91 NSX is not one of them. Context not taken out of order just not appreciated!

If ESSTOOKAYTD wanted to learn more about the difference between the models or the general consensus he could of used “search’ or posted "why buy a 97 over 91-96"

I don’t know of any one who ever regretted buying any NSX. Sorry if I sound up-set!

I think you're missing the point. All I can say is you sound like a very passionate person, just don't take what he said so seriously. I'm sure he meant no disrespect and by no means is saying the pre-97 NSX's are JUST another car while 97+ cars are dream cars. If he thought that he wouldn't even have started this thread. He is just exploring the differences between the years and if it is worth it to hold out longer.

Back