• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Wholesale prices dropping quickly now.

Is there a reason I wouldn't wait to wait until maybe later this year, and get a 2017 with decent miles at hopefully 80K or so? Seems like a combination of C8 sales + off-lease 2017's will create a perfect storm of lower prices.

Is there a reason I wouldn't wait to wait until maybe later this year, and get a 2017 with decent miles at hopefully 80K or so? Seems like a combination of C8 sales + off-lease 2017's will create a perfect storm of lower prices.

You would be silly to buy a 17 before October. That said I doubt these cars will be 80k anytime soon...

MC

What do you guys think about when they’re off warranty? Do you think at that time it’ll be an even bigger drop?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What do you guys think about when they’re off warranty? Do you think at that time it’ll be an even bigger drop?

With oil pumps costing $30k to replace I would imagine such maintenance costs are not going to help keep prices up.....

There a bunch of people who have had problems with their car. They weren't as outspoken as me, and quite a few of them aren't aware of NSXPrime, nor are they on FB. Time will tell, but I think the NSX will have a second sharp depreciation once it goes out of warranty.

I also heard that they are no longer training people to become techs at the dealer level, so in the future you may not even be able to get the car serviced at the dealer.

There a bunch of people who have had problems with their car. They weren't as outspoken as me, and quite a few of them aren't aware of NSXPrime, nor are they on FB. Time will tell, but I think the NSX will have a second sharp depreciation once it goes out of warranty.

I also heard that they are no longer training people to become techs at the dealer level, so in the future you may not even be able to get the car serviced at the dealer.

That’s a scary thought. It’s not like these cars were poster children for simplicity...

MC

There is always and I mean always someone on the internet that got a better deal. These are tire kickers not owners or drivers. I've owned a lot of sports cars and have come to the realization that at some point you pull the trigger. It's called making a decision. I'm just amazed how some people hyper-ventilate trying to decide do I get the 2018 or 2019 that was revamped for 10k more! Geez! Your comparing a price of an NSX to what? A corvette delivery that will be a year away. An ugly Nissan GTr, a Porsche gts. If you really liked those you wouldn't be here.
Cars for the most part are a depreciating investment. How much fun is the depreciation worth. If it's not worth it move on to some other board. I want to here from the people on this board that are happy they have an NSX and share the enthusiasm what a great car this is. Go on the Ford GT Forum and these guys are so thankful Ford is allowing them to buy a $600,000 car that is barely faster than a NSX! And it might not be 0-60.
Jimmy aka sled driver

There is always and I mean always someone on the internet that got a better deal. These are tire kickers not owners or drivers. I've owned a lot of sports cars and have come to the realization that at some point you pull the trigger. It's called making a decision. I'm just amazed how some people hyper-ventilate trying to decide do I get the 2018 or 2019 that was revamped for 10k more! Geez! Your comparing a price of an NSX to what? A corvette delivery that will be a year away. An ugly Nissan GTr, a Porsche gts. If you really liked those you wouldn't be here. Cars for the most part are a depreciating investment. How much fun is the depreciation worth. If it's not worth it move on to some other board. I want to here from the people on this board that are happy they have an NSX and share the enthusiasm what a great car this is. Go on the Ford GT Forum and these guys are so thankful Ford is allowing them to buy a $600,000 car that is barely faster than a NSX! And it might not be 0-60. Jimmy aka sled driver
Bill Maher refers to them as Winey Bitches. I agree get over it. If you don't like the car go elsewhere. When all you do is complain you cease providing beneficial information. If you want to contribute then do so without singing the same old tired song. Anyone can complain. That is boring! Yes these are cars, and in general all cars will depreciate with or without use. I just love my car. I love driving it. I love listening to it. I love keeping it detailed. I believe Honda/Acura hit a home run. And people are beginning to figure that out.

The C8 will never have an affect on other mid engine cars such as the R8 458 or NSX, no simply because it will be so common. There will be 30k of these things produced a year as opposed to what 300 NSX a year?

That's like saying Ferrari F12 prices would have been affected by the Z06 because the Z06 was faster than the v12 Ferrari.. Guess what it never happened and the reason is EXCLUSIVITY.

When something is rare it is worth more to people because they dont want what everyone else has. Regardless of performance.

Even if all of the leases from 2017 were to be turned in all at once which was about 581 of them that would not even represent 1 WEEK of production for the C8 Corvette.

In addition to this I see Acura CPOing and extending the full warranty on these lease returns for resale. I don't see the market dropping too much more for the 2017s.

Please remember all of these cars have powertrain warranties that are 6 years and none of them expire until around 2023.

Last edited:

DocL,

Where are you getting your information from? Two GMs from different dealerships can not corroborate on your information that techs are no longer being trained as Certified NSX Techs. Specific techs are trained to become a Certified NSX Tech only when there's a need to do so. If dealerships are retaining their Certified NSX Techs, then there's no need to train more.

Also, I've been on this forum for the past six months reading posts before I decided to pull the trigger and order my 2019. I wonder why you are still posting here spreading negativity about the car and Acura when you no longer own one. What are you trying to accomplish? Why wouldn't you just move on and spend your time elsewhere?

The C8 will never impact Ferrari and Lambo sales. They have decades of rep built up. Acura ... not so much. Make no mistake the c8 will impact sales and pricing of the NC1. When the high-performance version of a mid engine Corvette comes out with the price that slates in well below $156,000 MSRP there won’t be much of a market for the NC1.

People who want exclusivity aren’t buying Acuras.

MC

The C8 will never impact Ferrari and Lambo sales. They have decades of rep built up. Acura ... not so much. Make no mistake the c8 will impact sales and pricing of the NC1. When the high-performance version of a mid engine Corvette comes out with the price that slates in well below $156,000 MSRP there won’t be much of a market for the NC1.

People who want exclusivity aren’t buying Acuras.

MC

Make no mistake the C8 will not affect the R8 or the NSX again there will be far too many of them on the road. There will be an oversupply of those cars just like all corvettes. The much lower inventory of NSXs guarantees they will gain value over time. If we were to take all of the NSXs ever built from 2017 to current that would represent about a month of C8 production. And for the R8 that is comparable from 2017 until now but would represent several months of C8 production.

There will always be a market for the NSX just like there will always be a market for the R8 again limited production vehicles that you don't see 6- 10 of them or variants at every stop light will always appeal to more affluent buyers.

It seems to me that most people on this forum just don't have experience purchasing higher end vehicles and do not realize that just because something sells in limited quantities does not make it a failure. But I don't expect people that purchase Corvettes and older NSXs to understand that.

and yes people who want exclusivity do buy Audi R8s and they do buy Acuras I know because I am one of them.

Lastly The new Z06 will be plagued with overheating issues just like the current Z06 and will never be the caliber of mid engined car the R8 or the NSX is. Gm does not have the ability to ever make a well sorted car and even if they did its just a corvette......

If you doubt that I think you need do some reading on the issues owners are still having on overheating on current z06 vets. If you think GM makes a high quality product I suggest doing some research on their ignition scandal. People actually were serving time in prison for vehicular manslaughter due to GM faulty ignitions and GM not admitting what they did wrong over a 75 cent part and that it was not the driver of the vehicles fault.

The short of it people died and innocent people served prison terms. GM is a shit company that cut corners and makes a product that falls apart.

There is far to much hate or anomsity on this forum towards the 2nd gen NSX. It seems like its mostly born out of jealousy. The logic of a lot of these haters clearly makes no sense and it is apparent to me that most of them if not all of them have not ever driven the NSX.

Good luck with your future predictions on the NSX though.

Make no mistake the C8 will not affect the R8 or the NSX again there will be far too many of them on the road. There will be an oversupply of those cars just like all corvettes. The much lower inventory of NSXs guarantees they will gain value over time. If we were to take all of the NSXs ever built from 2017 to current that would represent about a month of C8 production. And for the R8 that is comparable from 2017 until now but would represent several months of C8 production.

There will always be a market for the NSX just like there will always be a market for the R8 again limited production vehicles that you don't see 6- 10 of them or variants at every stop light will always appeal to more affluent buyers.

It seems to me that most people on this forum just don't have experience purchasing higher end vehicles and do not realize that just because something sells in limited quantities does not make it a failure. But I don't expect people that purchase Corvettes and older NSXs to understand that.

and yes people who want exclusivity do buy Audi R8s and they do buy Acuras I know because I am one of them.

Lastly The new Z06 will be plagued with overheating issues just like the current Z06 and will never be the caliber of mid engined car the R8 or the NSX is. Gm does not have the ability to ever make a well sorted car and even if they did its just a corvette......

If you doubt that I think you need do some reading on the issues owners are still having on overheating on current z06 vets. If you think GM makes a high quality product I suggest doing some research on their ignition scandal. People actually were serving time in prison for vehicular manslaughter due to GM faulty ignitions and GM not admitting what they did wrong over a 75 cent part and that it was not the driver of the vehicles fault.

The short of it people died and innocent people served prison terms. GM is a shit company that cut corners and makes a product that falls apart.

There is far to much hate or anomsity on this forum towards the 2nd gen NSX. It seems like its mostly born out of jealousy. The logic of a lot of these haters clearly makes no sense and it is apparent to me that most of them if not all of them have not ever driven the NSX.

Good thing about predictions on the internet is they will easily proven or disproven in a matter of time.

Show me in my post where I said GM made a high quality product....

The future Z06 will have heating problems? There is no Z06 as of yet.

Lastly I don’t Think there’s a lot of “hate” on this forum. There is however a lot of legitimate criticisms from actual owners.

MC

Good thing about predictions on the internet is they will easily proven or disproven in a matter of time.

Show me in my post where I said GM made a high quality product....

The future Z06 will have heating problems? There is no Z06 as of yet.

Lastly I don’t Think there’s a lot of “hate” on this forum. There is however a lot of legitimate criticisms from actual owners.

MC
Do you own one?

I don't think that there will be many people cross-shopping between a new NSX and a C8, just as you don't see people cross-shopping between a Porsche Cayman and a new NSX. People looking at the C8 will stay in the relative price range plus/minus $10K, maybe $20K. So yes, maybe they would cross-shop with a used NSX, and yes, that may make it a little harder to sell a used NSX which could affect used car prices if people get desperate and want to unload their NSX quickly. I would anticipate that desperation would be the exception and not the norm.

People looking at a new NSX will cross-shop with a McLaren 540c (in other countries), McLaren 570GT/S, Audi R8, Porsche 911, Nissan GT-R, etc. Of the various NSX owners that I've talked to, which is only a handful so it's not a large sample size, none of them were cross-shopping with a Corvette. Some of them own a Corvette (Z-06) or have owned a Corvette in the past and wanted a more refined, exotic, and exclusive experience. I for one only considered the C8 for about 10 seconds before I decided to order my NSX. I did, however, consider a 911 and an R8 much more seriously.

Therefore, I don't think the C8 will have a dramatic affect on used NSX pricing or make a significant dent in new NSX purchases.

porsche37
Good post. The hype surrounding the soon to be released C8 might be dampened as the March issue of Motor Trend has a head to head with a Shelby GT500 vs a C8. I don't want to spoil it for those who haven't seen it yet.... so you can stop reading now.

With Randy Pobst driving over two days at VIR the GT500 beat the C8 Vett by.... nearly FOUR SECONDS A LAP. For those that don't track their cars that is an eternity. So what does that have to do with an NSX. Well I believe the NSX is just being discovered by many. I've been followed and stopped several times by so called car guys who've never seen or considered the car. The car is exclusive except to the haters on this board.

Jimmy aka sled driver

porsche37... The car is exclusive except to the haters on this board.

Jimmy aka sled driver

I used to take my Nouvelle Blue to cars and coffee in Palm Beach. There was routinely over 1500 cars there every month. I would sit near my car, but not next to it and listen to all the negativity spoken about the car. The only compliment I heard was about the color.

I used to take my Nouvelle Blue to cars and coffee in Palm Beach. There was routinely over 1500 cars there every month. I would sit near my car, but not next to it and listen to all the negativity spoken about the car. The only compliment I heard was about the color.

When I used to do the C+C stuff I got nothing but complements even from the “exotic” guys.

This was in late 17/18 when all the lukewarm reviews were hitting the web. I’ve never heard in person one negative thing about the car. It’s rare enough that it still gets more questions and positive comments than negative ones.

Most negative stuff said about the car is online and mostly by people who can’t afford one.

MC

When I used to do the C+C stuff I got nothing but complements even from the “exotic” guys. [/quote

This was in late 17/18 when all the lukewarm reviews were hitting the web. I’ve never heard in person one negative thing about the car. It’s rare enough that it still gets more questions and positive comments than negative ones.

Most negative stuff said about the car is online and mostly by people who can’t afford one.

MC

Unfortunately I think there's a lot of car snobbery in Palm Beach, and the Acura nameplate just doesn't satisfy most people here. But I really didn't hear many good things. I did let a lot of people sit in the car, and at least that put a smile on their face.

For some reason, my replies are not showing up on this thread, even though there's nothing controversial or bad about them. Let's try this again:

I don't think people looking to purchase a new NSX are going to cross-shop with a C8, just like people looking to buy a Porsche Cayman don't cross-shop and look at a new NSX. The price points are too far apart. People shopping for a new C8 will most likely stay within that price range plus or minus $10K, maybe $20K. Now there may definitely be people cross-shoping a new C8 with a used NSX, and that could affect used NSX prices if the NSX owners get desperate and want to sell quickly. However, I think that desperation would be the exception and not the norm.

From all of the new NSX owners that I've talked to, which admittedly is only a handful, none of them cross-shopped with a Corvette. Some of them previously owned Corvettes (mostly Z-06s) but wanted to get something more exotic, refined, and with better build quality. Before I ordered my NSX back in August 2019, I considered the new C8...for all of 10 seconds because there is a lot of bang for the buck, but I didn't want to have a car that would be mass produced to the tune of 35K cars per year and have a rear end that looks like a Camaro. There's definitely no denying that the C8 will be a success and will appeal to the masses, but you won't be seeing a Ferrari owner going to trade in his 488 for a new C8.

People looking to purchase a new NSX are going to cross-shop with cars like a 911, R8, McLaren 540c (in other countries), McLaren 570S/GT, Nissan GT-R, etc. People that can afford to spend $140K+ on a car are looking for something a bit more rare than a Corvette. I did seriously consider a Porsche 911 and an Audi R8, but eventually settled on the NSX because of the underlying technology, build-quality, reliability, and every day drivability. Porsche 911s, unfortunately, are a little too common and suffer from a certain stigma of the driver's being stuck-up that I didn't want have. Many people that see a 911 don't know the difference between a Carrera, GTS, Turbo, etc. It's almost like a Corvette where you can get a Grand Sport that looks like a Z-06, but even people with untrained eyes won't know the difference between a base Corvette, a Grand Sport, or a Z-06. Don't get me wrong, I think Porsche makes some awesome machines, and I would love to have a 911 GT2 RS to play with.

Bottom line is that I don't think the C8 will make a dramatic dent in new NSX sales, and I don't think it will have a significant impact on used NSX pricing either unless people start to get desperate to unload their cars. I would hope, however, that those people won't be in any financial difficulty that would force them to unload their cars at rock-bottom prices.

Unfortunately I think there's a lot of car snobbery in Palm Beach, and the Acura nameplate just doesn't satisfy most people here. But I really didn't hear many good things. I did let a lot of people sit in the car, and at least that put a smile on their face.

Ah... Palm Beach say no more

MC

Back