• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Why buy NSX when you can get used Z06 for 35,000?

I agree with the resale point with the NSX compared to the Z06. I also think the exclusivity point is at the top of the list too and important. I see Z06's all the time on the road. They are everywhere. How often do i see an NSX??... Almost never and when i do it puts a smile on my face :) Sure i may not be as fast as a Z06 but I dont care. If i wanted to go fast i would have stuck with my MR2 which would eat a Z06. I was coming home once, right after i the car back from getting a new turbo setup, and a Viper GTS pulled up next to me. He looked at me and i looked at him. I reved, he reved and off we went. He took me slightly at the line, my turbo needs to spool, but halfway through the intersection i pulled and pulled and pulled. Needless to say i beat him easily and he motioned to pull over. We talked and his jaw hit the floor when i said it was a 4 cylinder. My point is if i wanted to go fast i would not have gone with the NSX (my dream car) but the NSX is at a different level. Everything from closing the door (nice and solid), chasis rigidity, fit, finish, feel, styling and pure enjoyment to drive. I love the cockpit feel and the especially the stitching. I miss my MR2's power sometimes but it was a beast to drive very fast. My NSX is no slouch but i tend to enjoy it much more.

Buy the Corvette now; then when you're done with it ( which probably won't be long ) you'll have both Porsches and Corvettes out of your system. This program has done wonders for my mental health.:D

T Bolen said:
I looked into a 'vette for my wife last year (She has always wanted one). While affordable to purchase, I was stunned at the insurance cost! More than twice my NSX! And more than twice than my Viper too. 4 years of insurance savings with the NSX would buy a supercharger.

Cost more, huh. However, I know that everytime a NSX get into an accident, the insurance company will pay big bucks for it, given its expensive repair nature.

whiteNSXs said:
It is very easy to answer your questions. Think of the NSX as filet mignon, and the Vette as ground beef. Sure the ground beef offers more meat/protein for the price. But filet mignon is not about sheer quantity, but quality. If you are the pick-up truck/baseball cap kind that only cares for tailgate BBQ, your choice will be quite easy. If you want fine meat, you've got to pay.
Steve

The best answer i see so far.......making me hungry :D

One simple explanation: NSX=Tremendous Exotic Car. Z06=Fast, non exotic, mass produced, run of the mill, everyone in your neighborhood has one, cheap, American made, piece of Junk...;) :p So, it is fast so what.. The NSX evokes so much more emotion than the Vette... Did I mention that Vettes are gay....:D :D

Last edited:
My take / input on this.....not meaning to be "harsh" as I have been accused of, just being blunt and to the point.

I have been to the Vette factory in Kentucky. I was absolutely appalled that many of the workers we wearing jeans, cutoff shorts, tee-shirts, etc. I have been to the Honda plant in Ohio.....everyone on the factory floor wear white coveralls.

When we went to NSXPO 1998, we stopped in at the Vette factory. They offer free tours but on the day we arrived, the tours were delayed. You're not gonna believe this - but witnesses and the news media will back this up - there was a random drug search and the assembly line was shut down. Oh, yes, I'll buy a Vette tomorrow. NOT!

Get a rattle-free NSX and if power is still your gig, get a forced induction kit and kick GM's rearside all over the place!

The ONLY other production car on par with the NSX is Porsche, in terms of reliability. However, I like the body style of the NSX much better. Another possible contender is the Ferrari; however, reliability is sub-par.

If you think speed or HP is more important than style or build quality go with the Z06.

There's more to life than having the fastest car. I've never been a big street racer so I could care less if the Z06 is a few seconds quicker to 120 mph. I care more about fun to drive and that can't be measured on a dyno.

Not me! This is the NSX we are talking about, where all of its attractiveness made me fallen in love with it a long time ago.

Here is the point: My car has 133,000 miles on it; it runs like a champ, looks gorgeous and rare doing it. Most single women hollered just for entertaining purposes. Enough said.

Buying a clean used NSX: $40K
Buying the FI system of your choice: $9k
Gaining kinship to this forum: Priceless

AndyH said:
how many people sell their nsx to go buy a corvette??
Not as many as the number who sell their Corvette to buy an NSX.

There are cars that people will sell an NSX to move up to: various Ferraris and the Porsche 996 Turbo. The Corvette, even the Z06, is not one of them.

The only car i will add in the next 5 years, if everything go right, to my stable will be the 360 Modena. It got the build quality of the NSX, very gorgeous and rare. I would consider a 996TT as an addition, but not a replacement because the NSX is better looking and more reliable.

nsxtasy said:

There are cars that people will sell an NSX to move up to: various Ferraris and the Porsche 996 Turbo. The Corvette, even the Z06, is not one of them.

That's exactly my point. I knew someone here will give me the answer I was looking for :D

Chalk me up on the list of guys who sold their Corvette to get an NSX. There was nothing "wrong" with my Vette, there just wasn't anything special about it. And passing by another 50 Vettes every day didn't do too much to make me feel unique.

BTW, I joined the local Vette club, and I was the youngest member...by about 30 years. Most of the other members were retired blue collar guys who finally have the time to tinker with the car of their dreams. Good for them, just not for me.

Plus, there aren't nearly as many ways to personalize license plates incorporating the Vette name!:p

NSX/MR2 said:
the 360 Modena. It got the build quality of the NSX
I don't think so... Yes, it's a nice car, beautiful and nice performance. Yes, its build quality is much better than previous Ferraris, and they've come a long way. But equal to the NSX? No.

Originally posted by LeftLane
Plus, there aren't nearly as many ways to personalize license plates incorporating the Vette name!
Sure there are. It's just that with the Vette, they're all already taken.

nsxtasy said:

That's the progression that I made...vette first, NSX later

911-NSX,
I too had the same thoughts about the Z06 vs NSX before I spent some time with both cars - not in magazine articles - but seat time. There is no question that the Z06 is a very strong running car - mucho power. Several before me have exemplified my thoughts ( build quality, exclusivity, dependibility, durability, PERFECT balance, etc) so I will not repeat what has been said.

I looked at older 930s as well in my consideration (absolutely cannot even compare the NSX to a 930's antiquated technology, ergonomics, balance ,etc). The Porsche was eliminated quickly. Now the 996 TT is a different story, but I didn't have $75K to spend. I was set to but a 2 year old Z06, but always admired the NSX. As I was narrowing down my selection on used Z06s, I saw an ad locally for a 95 NSX. I took a 1 and a half mile spirited ride in it with the owner followed by a drive and I was sold. I never looked back, never even considered the Corvette from that point forward, and to this day have not regretted my decision of the NSX over a GM Corvette for one second. I have owned multiple Corvettes and Porsches and they each have there own pros and cons, but the NSX is my first choice for under $50K hands down.

Unfortunately, when you say "For 35,000 the vette is so much more car then the NSX. You can get a Z06 with under 10,000 miles for this price...Please do not flame me" you are setting yourself up for some counter punching. You come and tell people passionate about the NSX that there is a better car for the price, assuming they are naive enough not to know thier alternatives before they spent thier hard earned money on a 10 year old car. I think you have set yourself up for a flaming by the way you asked the question. In the future, you might ask the question with less of a biased approach because I believe it is a good question.

I'm surprised anyone even bothered answering 911-NSX, as this appears, to me, to be blatant trolling. Especially since he posted once, and then hasn't responded since.

I am impressed with the restraint on this forum though, for not starting a Vette bashing, which I'm sure he was hoping for. One more reason why this forum is superior to so many others.

The vette may very well be this guys car...he did own a Porsche (another huge "me too" car).

I considered a Z06 before I bought my NSX. My partner (who drove a viper) summed it up very nicely for me: Only old perv's drive Z06s. Thing is, 90% of the Z06s i see are driven by much older gentlemen (with the exception of the spoiled house wife ;))

Both are great cars but there is no comparison between the two.

Filet Mignon to Ground Beef = AWESOME comparison!

Many years ago I worked as a consultant at Delco in Kokomo, IN. A buddy of mine had always wanted a Corvette. Since he was a GM employee, he got a discount on GM vehicles and decided to buy a ‘vette. I advised against it because when I was younger and not as smart, I also had bought a new Corvette, which I sold 18 months later.

Friday morning, my friend drove the 5 hours to pick up his new car at the factory. On Monday morning we all gathered around his desk to get the tour of the new car. Instead of a tour, we got his tale of woe. The car was perfect when he picked it up, amazing acceleration, everything he had hoped for. Two hours into the drive home the car started to stumble. He kept driving and another 30 minutes later smoke was coming from under the hood. He pulled onto the shoulder of the freeway, got out, and helplessly watched his car catch fire and melt. He described all the details of hearing the horn honk for 5 seconds and then die, then the headlights came on and went out, the wipers cycled a few times, etc.

He called the Corvette factory and told them about this horrible lapse of quality. The guy at the factory just said “yeah, that happens sometimes.”

911-NSX,
I am suprised that you have not responded yet to these replies. When you come on a forum with ppl that are passionate about the NSX and ask, "Why buy NSX when you can get a used Z06 for $35,000?" you are setting yourself up for a flame. I can tell you that their are many ppl here that have looked at Z06 as an option before their NSX purchase, and chose the NSX, and for good reasons. For you to say that Z06 is much more car than the NSX shows that you have neither test drove an NSX or seen one in person. If your definition of "more car" is just raw HP then, yes the Z06 is more car. But with that definition so is a Mustang, for even less $$$. My point is that if you look at the overall picture: build quality, dependability, exotic looks, rarity, ability to hold it's value, low maintence cost, awesome mid engine sound, F1 type of steering response, all these things tell me that this is more car than the Z06!

A lot of the same thoughts have been in my mind this past week.

ravi

everyone said it right it this thread..it all depends on want you want from a car...

the Z06 does everything well in terms of performance..

it accelerates, brakes and corners better than most sports cars out there...the best bang for the buck in terms of performance.....

i would not say you get more car from a Z06 than a NSX

for sure more performance but not more car...

NSX
8000 rpm + redline.
midengine
vtec
styling that still turns head today
relibility

i would ask myself this ...

you say you had a porsche before..

why did you buy a porsche to begin with and not a vette?
why did you sell your porsche?

Back