• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Why is there so much wood for a Zanardi? It's really nothing special

Alex Zanardi was a champion driver and is now an incredible athlete with no legs, an incredible human being. I would be proud to have his name on the special version of my NSX even if it was NO different. But it is also an NA2 coupe with manual steering. Can't get any better.

I agree, it's just a different version. I think the hype is literally there are just 50. I know John aka track addict would get wood all over this, but like others said you can easily "create" a zanardi. I mean who did the awesome 02 type R conversion to his 02. He welded the roof,legit, as well as added the suspension parts. But his isn't a "real" type R, though it is by all means just like one. The same with a zanardi, it just 50 of them. That's why I bought my 04 after I lost the 02: I could have paid off a 97 cash and made it look like an 02 up, but deep down it wasn't really an 02 up. Same with the zanardi

if i were running a car company i would only have recaros in the entire fleet of cars.

and have just one of each:

4 banger
6 banger
8 banger

and have just one good infotainment system

all of the above have to be the best. and then over the period of time it pays off since there is no retooling involved.

u just design the skin of the car, suv, truck, etc. around the aforementioned.

the wood is because it is a factory special.....ask the Porsche crowd how that goes.:wink:

It's just like GT3 vs GT3 RS, 458 vs 458 Challenge, Gallardo vs Superleggera. People value factory mods >>>>> DIY mods.

Well, since the zanardi edition didn't come with the same seats as the nsx-r and has the same power as the regular ones i would beg to differ.

zanardi seems like an afterthought to counter slow nsx sales.

what devalues it for me is that senna > zanardi as a driver imho and that is like a step backwards.

Neither senna nor alex Zanardi designed the NSX. Senna was great and it's very nice to have that nostalgic connection to the car but just how much input do you think senna had on the car? He took it for a few test drives and gave like 10 minutes of feedback and now a bunch of NSX owners act like he was what Gordon Murray was to the F1. It's VERY different. Murray did engineering and design work. Senna gave some minimal feedback. Zanardi NSX's may have nothing to do with Zanardi but some test drive and a conversation for formality's sake. Yes, it was for marketing and to sell a few more units via a special edition... Something all manufacturers do. At least the Zanardi car has some substance and is not badge engineering. The solid roof, lighter weight, manual steering and suspension mods are all legitimate mods and they probably make a serious difference in feel. I don't know where you get the Zanardi was not as good a driver as senna so the car is a step backwards thing. I would love 4 NSX's. A 2005 I can mod, a 2005 to keep stock, a Zanardi to mod and a Zanardi to keep stock. I would drive the modded ones a lot and barely drive the stock ones except on days I need t remind myself that OEM engineering is of greater value than backyard engineering on an overall basis.

Last edited:
Neither senna nor alex Zanardi designed the NSX. Senna was great and it's very nice to have that nostalgic connection to the car but just how much input do you think senna had on the car? He took it for a few test drives and gave like 10 minutes of feedback and now a bunch of NSX owners act like he was what Gordon Murray was to the F1. It's VERY different. Murray did engineering and design work. Senna gave some minimal feedback. Zanardi NSX's may have nothing to do with Zanardi but some test drive and a conversation for formality's sake. Yes, it was for marketing and to sell a few more units via a special edition... Something all manufacturers do. At least the Zanardi car has some substance and is not badge engineering. The solid roof, lighter weight, manual steering and suspension mods are all legitimate mods and they probably make a serious difference in feel. I don't know where you get the Zanardi was not as good a driver as senna so the car is a step backwards thing. I would love 4 NSX's. A 2005 I can mod, a 2005 to keep stock, a Zanardi to mod and a Zanardi to keep stock. I would drive the modded ones a lot and barely drive the stock ones except on days I need t remind myself that OEM engineering is of greater value than backyard engineering on an overall basis.

THANK YOU! for saying that. get so tired of seeing everybody act like hes this god that forged the nsx with his bare hands lol. when he didnt have as much to do with it as people let on.

Last edited:
Neither senna nor alex Zanardi designed the NSX. Senna was great and it's very nice to have that nostalgic connection to the car but just how much input do you think senna had on the car? He took it for a few test drives and gave like 10 minutes of feedback and now a bunch of NSX owners act like he was what Gordon Murray was to the F1.

Blasphemy! LMAO................

indy_blasphemy.gif

LOL... well if we are being honest here... I mean you know who is the guy that should REALLY be getting the "NSX-God" credit here (other than the self proclaimed Mark@dali)? It's Shigeru Uehara. He doesn't get anywhere NEAR the credit he deserves. I mean senna was senna. I can see why people want more attachment to him... I have a senna signature on my car. But I am not under some illusion as to who actually engineered this thing.

Last edited:
He took it for a few test drives and gave like 10 minutes of feedback .

Actually, he did much more that just give feedback after 10 mins of driving. Honda Chief Engineer ( Mr Uehara) and his team went back and added braces and stiffeners to the chassis based on his initial feedback. He was consulted to conduct further testing as well. Knowing that Honda used a CRAY Super computer (back then) to run the data Analysis on the Chassis. However, it took Human (Senna) feedback to make it a great chassis, this input was Priceless.

Alex Zanardi on the other hand did nothing for the NSX....Pure Marketing.

Bram

IMHO, the people most responsible for the development of the NSX: Uehara, Ito, Suzuki, and Tamamura.

The Zanardi is special b/c it's a special edition and extremely rare NSX that was built by Honda. Senna's involvement is particular notable for the NSX b/c his personal development work on the car (albeit limited), his love for Honda (called it the best company in the world), Honda's love for Senna (which still exists to this day), and his reputation for being the best F1 driver ever.

Here's a good primer on the NSX's development: http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showt...-NSX-According-to-Honda?highlight=development

Actually, he did much more that just give feedback after 10 mins of driving. Honda Chief Engineer ( Mr Uehara) and his team went back and added braces and stiffeners to the chassis based on his initial feedback. He was consulted to conduct further testing as well. Knowing that Honda used a CRAY Super computer (back then) to run the data Analysis on the Chassis. However, it took Human (Senna) feedback to make it a great chassis, this input was Priceless.

Alex Zanardi on the other hand did nothing for the NSX....Pure Marketing.

Bram

Yes, I know that whole "it's a little bit fragile" sentence with his hand moving up and down. But other than that, what do we know? perhaps he gave more test drives and input and no one will ever know but he didn't "develop" the car. His involvement is a bit overblown around here. Let's face it. I am not discounting it, and I feel he was the best driver ever and I am very happy of the connection with him, Honda, and my NSX. But he wasn't involved near as much as people would like to think he was.

- - - Updated - - -

IMHO, the people most responsible for the development of the NSX: Uehara, Ito, Suzuki, and Tamamura.

Right.... and how often do we mention any of them? almost never.

Last edited:
I agree 100% with you Shawn, Uehara, Ito, Suzuki, and Tamamura these guys are the real Engineers behind a great product....I'm glad that we had the opportunity to meet them @ 2010 Festa.

Bram

Well, put them in your sig and continue to post whore. That way everyone will see it.

friggen................... hilllllllllllllarious:biggrin:

Well, put them in your sig and continue to post whore. That way everyone will see it.

Are you making a joke or just being rude to me?

- - - Updated - - -

I agree 100% with you Shawn, Uehara, Ito, Suzuki, and Tamamura these guys are the real Engineers behind a great product....I'm glad that we had the opportunity to meet them @ 2010 Festa.

Bram

They were all there? I thought it was only Uehara...

Last edited:
The topic goes a little bit off.

Would you choose the standard car if you can afford the special one, OEM-wise (not hyper-tuned-wise)? People do, the prices for Zanardis reflects that. Do I hear some envy out of some posts? Maybe.

A Zanardi is not true marketing, that's wrong, a Zanardi is a 'relabeled' japanese Type-S (except for the seats) if you like but a Type-S IS different from the standard model.

Are you making a joke or just being rude to me?

- - - Updated - - -

They were all there? I thought it was only Uehara...

believe it or not there is a core group of nsx fans/owners that have traveled the world,going to nsx specific events.nsxpo excluded.....they get to speak openly and off the record with those responsible with nsx creation.they have a much better feel for the history of our cars then the random poster on prime.

believe it or not there is a core group of nsx fans/owners that have traveled the world,going to nsx specific events.nsxpo excluded.....they get to speak openly and off the record with those responsible with nsx creation.they have a much better feel for the history of our cars then the random poster on prime.

Does that give them license to be rude to others, even if those others were generally agreeing with them?

Last edited:
Are Zanardi wheels lighter than the 7-spokes? Or are they just supposed to look different?

I am in the do not want category when it comes to the Zanardi. I understand it is the only special edition we received so it should cost more but I would not pick it over a standard NA2. My 3 reasons.

1. Red
2. No targa
3. Ugly wheels

Reminds me of the Viper GTS ACR. The up side on that car were coilovers and harnesses. The downsides were fog light deletes and ugly mesh wheels. Do not want in that instance either.

Who really cares what Batmans thinks about a Zanardi anyway....lol

Back