• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Why is there so much wood for a Zanardi? It's really nothing special

The Zanardi-edition is the NSX optimized. Nothing more, nothing less.

And it was configured as Honda does w/ their other North America "special edition" models (more-so styling & handling vs. power & performance).

The JDM NSX Type-S/Zero seats wouldn't have worked state'side, as the Zanardi-edition NSX (and namely the NSX) was marketed towards gentleman racers & not hardcore performance/track enthusiasts. Think race'inspired not race'bred.

IMHO, the people most responsible for the development of the NSX: Uehara, Ito, Suzuki, and Tamamura.
Right.... and how often do we mention any of them? almost never.
I agree 100% with you Shawn, Uehara, Ito, Suzuki, and Tamamura these guys are the real Engineers behind a great product....I'm glad that we had the opportunity to meet them @ 2010 Festa.

Bram
Dunno why, but Ken Okuyama seems to always be omitted from the NSX development/history discussion on Prime. FWIW, he had the most visible impact w/ regards to such (design/style & form-factor).

Dunno why, but Ken Okuyama seems to always be omitted from the NSX development/history discussion on Prime. FWIW, he had the most visible impact w/ regards to such (design/style & form-factor).

For some reason, I thought Suzuki was the Chief Designer (body) of the NSX. Thanks for that post. Okuyama should definitely get credit for the body design work he lead.

Does that give them license to be rude to others, even if those others were generally agreeing with them?

I'm not apologizing for anyone...just stating a fact.

So how many of you have actually driven one?

I have and I love it :) Back to the topic at hand, the Zanardi is an amazing car that commands a premium over other NSX's. It's a really fun car and will continue to be go up in value. It's one of the rarest, modern day Japanese sports cars and cars like this seem to be skyrocketing in value.

I have and I love it :) Back to the topic at hand, the Zanardi is an amazing car that commands a premium over other NSX's. It's a really fun car and will continue to be go up in value. It's one of the rarest, modern day Japanese sports cars and cars like this seem to be skyrocketing in value.

Spoken like a true Zanardi owner

Are you making a joke or just being rude to me?

My apologies. I reread my post and it was way more acidic than intended. I can be too sarcastic and "ribbing" doesn't communicate well. I offended publicly and will apologize in the same way: mea culpa, me paenitat.

- - - Updated - - -

As an additional point of reference, during Fiesta 2010, I remembered earlier today that Uehara-san didn't seem to be interested in discussing the Zanardi. I thought it was a just a communication obstacle but he really seemed to dismiss it as just a marketing exercise ("gimmick" is too strong). He didn't think the US would appreciate the R version either, as the standard nsx was "good enough."

Are Zanardi wheels lighter than the 7-spokes? Or are they just supposed to look different?

Yes they are lighter. As a well-known online catalog (I'm not
mentioning whose catalog, lest this turn into a thread about
the owner's business practices) puts it:

"4 of them weigh a TOTAL of 8.8 lbs. less than 4 of the regular OEM 7 spoke aluminum wheels, and take longer to clean - you will love them ..."

need the likes of batmans to say what was on ur mind. :smile:

+2 I agree as well, never understood the specialty unless you are a hardcore "collector" like Jay Leno and I don't think anyone on this site qualifies.

i actually designed the nsx.modesty has prevented me from revealing this until now.

Ever so slightly off topic...if you count Zanardi #0 (press car) and Zanardi #51 given to Miguel Duhamel, total production units is probably 52, of which only 50 were available to the general public. I don't believe the Zanardi NSX given to Duhamel by Honda in appreciation for his loyalty and racing efforts was numbered, but it is more than coincidental that he used to race a Honda RC-51...

I will add that if you drive a Zanardi Edition back to back with a standard NSX in stock form, the differences become clear quite quickly. The Zanardi Edition is just that much quicker and sharper in every conceivable way. To the point where even my wife noticed it immediately the first time she drove ours. She came home and the first thing she said was, "Wow...you did not tell me the Zanardi was so much faster than Phantom (our '94 NSX)".

I kind of agree with the OP even though it’s heresy, but in the niche context of the NSX world the community takes what it can get and hails it as glorious even if it’s small or insignificant (not that the zanardi is insignificant). A factory twin turbo or even the mediocre CTSC in combo with the hardtop coupe 3.2 could have been a transformative addition but Honda prefers small refinements instead. One of the reasons the NSX was not revered until recently actually was always power, but with the rise of all the techy fast cars and auto trans only offerings, the collector world has backlashed and sought out the analog cars of the past. The Zanardi is objectively not $100K better than a 91 coupe but collectors got money to burn. JMO

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I kind of agree with the OP even though it’s heresy, but in the niche context of the NSX world the community takes what it can get and hails it as glorious even if it’s small or insignificant (not that the zanardi is insignificant). A factory twin turbo or even the mediocre CTSC in combo with the hardtop coupe 3.2 could have been a transformative addition but Honda prefers small refinements instead. One of the reasons the NSX was not revered until recently actually was always power, but with the rise of all the techy fast cars and auto trans only offerings, the collector world has backlashed and sought out the analog cars of the past. The Zanardi is objectively not $100K better than a 91 coupe but collectors got money to burn. JMO

It's not the wheels, the coupe, the suspension.....it's the 1 of 50 that makes it so valuable period.

They could have simply put different seats in it and called it a limited edition Zanardi and it would still be just as sought after today.

Too bad they never made a Senna version...

Just kick myself for not buying one back in the 08-09 era when you could get them in the low 40's...ughh

I will add that if you drive a Zanardi Edition back to back with a standard NSX in stock form, the differences become clear quite quickly. The Zanardi Edition is just that much quicker and sharper in every conceivable way. To the point where even my wife noticed it immediately the first time she drove ours. She came home and the first thing she said was, "Wow...you did not tell me the Zanardi was so much faster than Phantom (our '94 NSX)".

I've driven both back to back (Zanardi to US geared 91) and agree. The weight reduction plus the 6-speed gearing makes a really big difference that you can feel immediately. It's even more apparent against the T-top cars. I would love to drive a real Type S or S Zero to see if it is similar.

I really think it is a collector issue, not a performance issue. Any factory limited edition is going to command higher prices from collectors, regardless of how fast it is. Personally, I think they should have done a 3.5 ITB J-series with the 2002 updates. I've driven both turbo and SC NSXs and find them to be awkward. The whole spirit of the car is light weight and high-rpm NA.

It's not the wheels, the coupe, the suspension.....it's the 1 of 50 that makes it so valuable period.

They could have simply put different seats in it and called it a limited edition Zanardi and it would still be just as sought after today.

Agree 100%

Why are we debating with people who posted their opinions on the Zanardi 6 years ago? Holy thread bump!

Because it's NSX Prime! :D I've seen 20 year old threads get dredged up for comment.

I have to completely disagree with this one, as it shows a fundamental misunderstanding of how the markets value cars.

The type of "limited edition" you're talking about, with just basic cosmetic changes, would never hold the type of values the Zanardi does today. To surmise that would be to suggest that collector type buyers just blindly follow production numbers - they don't, and many of them are just as educated as anyone else on why they should want these cars.

I deal with collectors on a daily basis for a living. Most collectors are like any other car enthusiast - they grew up reading car magazines and/or looking at cars on the internet, and lusted after those that seemed the most special, focused, or unique. The only difference between them and the rest of enthusiasts is they tend to get more joy from having a perfect example of a car than the rest of us, they are more focused on the history and story behind cars than the rest of us, and they often also have more money to spend than the rest of us.

That doesn't make them ridiculous enough to want to pay a big premium for an NSX that only has special seats.

The Zanardi was essentially a full Type S spec with standard seats and an airbag steering wheel (which is a configuration you could spec a Type S in Japan if you wanted to), and is valued as such. It is the only sport-version NSX ever produced, for any market, in Left Hand Drive. An NSX-R is worth more because it is truly even more special in terms of its performance focus and pedigree (despite neither iteration being as rare as a Zanardi), and a regular NSX is worth less because it is less special in terms of its focus and pedigree, and yes, rarity as well.

in all fairness it was the only factory "special" in what is now an iconic sportscar from Japan, that now has its teen 90's fanbase with some money and memories....I hate to be an American iron fan with all the myriads of factory specials/combos....midyear this clone that ect....

I have to completely disagree with this one, as it shows a fundamental misunderstanding of how the markets value cars.

The type of "limited edition" you're talking about, with just basic cosmetic changes, would never hold the type of values the Zanardi does today. To surmise that would be to suggest that collector type buyers just blindly follow production numbers - they don't, and many of them are just as educated as anyone else on why they should want these cars.

I deal with collectors on a daily basis for a living. Most collectors are like any other car enthusiast - they grew up reading car magazines and/or looking at cars on the internet, and lusted after those that seemed the most special, focused, or unique. The only difference between them and the rest of enthusiasts is they tend to get more joy from having a perfect example of a car than the rest of us, they are more focused on the history and story behind cars than the rest of us, and they often also have more money to spend than the rest of us.

That doesn't make them ridiculous enough to want to pay a big premium for an NSX that only has special seats.

The Zanardi was essentially a full Type S spec with standard seats and an airbag steering wheel (which is a configuration you could spec a Type S in Japan if you wanted to), and is valued as such. It is the only sport-version NSX ever produced, for any market, in Left Hand Drive. An NSX-R is worth more because it is truly even more special in terms of its performance focus and pedigree (despite neither iteration being as rare as a Zanardi), and a regular NSX is worth less because it is less special in terms of its focus and pedigree, and yes, rarity as well.

although my seat thing was tongue and cheek hyperbole, the Zanardi is really about the rarity rather than the performance. If they made 500 of them instead of 50 it wouldn't be worth half as much as they are right now period.

A 91-94 NSX with minimal suspension upgrades is as light and nimble as a Zanardi , but theyre not as rare..... hence the real value of the Zanardi is the "special edition" and that there is only 50 of them.

NSX- R's are worth a bit more because they are a race focused car and weren't even available for North America
They are considered the holy grail of Honda production cars and the zenith of the NSX.

Last edited:
Back