• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Why mod it?

I view proper modding as a way of massaging the DNA of the car and it can be measured objectively. Thus the engineering can be slightly improved. A great example of a factory effort is the Type R and it truly enhanced the overall performance. In my opinion those of us that have the “mod” bug are creating a personalized version of a Type R. And of course some of us simply mod cars as a hobby.

Last edited:
cassiebday078.jpg

Hey, I recognize that dealer parking space...that's Cush Acura. :wink: I've parked right there many times.

I appreciate the responses...each one is valid for his/her car and perspective. This is a tricky subject because everyone seems to have a strong opinion on it, its tough to find someone in the middle who has no preference.

The question was asked "Why not mod it"

For me (and I will recognize this as strictly my opinion) it takes away from the purest form of the vehicle as envisioned by the factory engineers. When I show my NSX at shows, I identify what parts are aftermarket (exhaust and cold air intake) and they respect the car for that. Sure an 07 Z06 can eat it's lunch, but the NSX is far superior (again my opinion) in regards to engineering. I don't feel the need to update it to match Z06 performance, cars of that performance range didn't exist when my 94 was built and, to me, its akin to comparing apples to oranges.

Is the stock NSX outclassed by many sports cars today, sure....but frankly I don't care. I'm currently in the market for a 1999 355 F1, and its already outclassed by vehicles which cost less. I'm buying it for what it is, a stunning Italian car with a great transmission.

NSXGMS brings up an excellent point and one which I can almost agree to, that the 2005 stock NSX was outclassed due to Honda's lack of R&D reinvestment in the platform. Even so, it is a great car and the end of Honda's dream of a supercar (for now).

Again, I recognize that I'm clearly in a minority here and think its great we have places such as Prime to discuss our differences of opinion.

At least we can agree that the NSX is a milestone in supercar design and engineering.

Your fundamental philosophy is never going to be wrong. Yes, keeping the NSX stock is exactly the NSX Honda intended. But there's one very important thing to keep in mind: Honda had to engineer the car to please the most people as possible and accomplished that by way of many compromises.

Above all else Honda wants to sell cars, particularly with regular-production cars like the NSX. Limited runs, like the Ford GT, can often get away with not pleasing as many people because there is a shortage of cars and enough demand from the more aggressive-tune end of the buyer spectrum. IOW, if the NSX-R were the only NSX available Honda would have sold nowhere near the 15,000 or so units they did worldwide. Look at the Zanardi's poor reception. Why? The car was too aggressive for most NSX buyers' tastes ("What, no T-Top!!??" :wink: ) Same goes for the Elise. Many, many buyers were turned off or returned the car because of it's "raw" nature. It's a luxury go-kart for goodness sakes. They certainly alienated most female buyers. It's bad business to do that so it's rare when a manufacturer actually puts out a car with less compromise like the NSX or Elise.

A stock NSX (and any stock regular-production run car) is essentially a "universal tune" of sorts. In my mind, there's absolutely nothing wrong with accepting that fact and deciding that the universal tune isn't for you. Why didn't Honda put the NSX-R suspension in the NSX-T? Because most people (who never track) would find it uncomfortable and it would not please them. This was a compromise. My needs (or desires) are different.

For example, I track my NSX (unlike most NSX owners) so I am actually unhappy with the OEM suspension. It didn't come out of the box "perfect" for me. I spent a lot of time considering many options including the NA2 Type-R suspension and decided against it because I feel the quality and features of the suspension I chose are superior for my needs. Sure, I would have preferred a Honda suspension but Honda simply didn't offer the best product for me. And that's OK.

People forget that using even more aggressive tires is the same thing as installing a CTSC. Once you put an aftermarket part on your car it's no longer stock. There are no degrees. More aggressive tires are likely to wear more rapidly than the OEM tires which Honda chose for their all-around people-pleasing nature: fairly sticky in the dry, manageable in the wet with an average treadlife and quietness and reasonable price. But I don't care about the wet or noise. I want the stickiest dry tire possible at the expense of all else, except price. I don't drive my NSX in wet conditions. Therefore the factory tire doesn't suit my needs.

- Because an exige is uncomfortable
- because a Z05/Z06 is unreliable
- because a 911 is dime a dozen
- because a Ferrari is a money pit
- because an Aston Martin is a depreciating pig
- because Maseratis are ugly
- and anything truly better is 3X the price.

I took a new 2005 NSX and with an awesome exhaust, a supercharger and a few R parts turned it into what is to me a real super car. Only it's reliable, it doesn't depreciate, it looks awesome, and its ultra rare.

I know what you are saying but besides the R8 tell me what other car I could have that could have all of this.
A stock NSX is nice but a well-modded NSX is fantastic.

I think you've just summed up very nicely why us, the people in the know, have chosen a NSX to drive :smile: :smile: :smile:

Turbo, you forgot to mention...

An well kept used NSX is>.....

Better than pre 360 Modena Ferraris
Holds it's value better than any modern day Corvette
Easier to service than all the cars you have listed... Maybe excluding Corvette
Arguablly the best looking of the bunch
And none of them had the Senna Magic:smile: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

EVEN THE FERRARI GUYS MODS THEIR CARS BY PUTTING AFTER MARKET EXHAUST SYSTEM ON THEIR CARS!!! Personalizing your vehicle is a good thing...

All I did was kept everything "R" stock except fo the AIS/Header/Exhaust. The car is wonderful!!!

Back