• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Why my NSX went and Viper stayed

Everyone is making a point here. Snakey has had some issues with cars and many have told him as much and why.

I'm sorry that all this has happened but you know what - his NSX is gone - he has a viper and that's it. Like I said a while ago - who cares what Snakey has been up to or what he's done making his choice.

The rest of us know what we have and it is important to get one thing out of this exchange - how not to mod your NSX. Buying a rough one is not a good idea either - be careful when you purchase one! But the rest of us are going to be here tomorrow and our cars are still hopefully running well. I wish nothing bad on anyone - after all guys we can't change things for anyone - let's just look at this for lessons learned - that's the good we can get out of this example.

Happy trails dudes - let's keep it positive. :wink:

Why are people's tails getting all ruffled over this?

A simple "see ya later" would've been sufficient, me thinks. :cool:

Why are people's tails getting all ruffled over this?

A simple "see ya later" would've been sufficient, me thinks. :cool:

Most, or quite a few, have given the departing member well wishes. For those that have gotten "ruffled," all I can say is that if you post a thread expect to have some responses. :confused:

Last edited:
have you guys ever seen snakey...he looks like a viper owner......"powerful" :wink: http://forums.viperclub.org/srt10-srt10-coupe-discussions/633067-border-patrol-viper-z06.html I of course am a little more of a girly man :redface:

Well as I read down thru this you sent Doc - I noticed one thing - better check your oil - damn - three quarts down - i mean when was the oil changed - is anyone paying attention to maintenance....Snakey? Problems with speeding/racing - seems like he needs more power so he can "escape".....:biggrin:

As to the "girly man thing" - just means you fit the seat better. Which reminds me - that Mustand GT I drove - I slid around in the seat - asked about the sport Recarros for the Boss coming out - the sales guys says - they're really for track use - wouldn't think they're comfortable - man depends on if you're driving or just cruising and blasting in a straight line - guess it's both those things. American car manufacturers still have a lot to learn about ergonomics and what makes a good seat for all round use!

I'll stay in my NSX seat thank you very much without an SC!:wink:

Just to add my 2 cents to the fray: thanks for the post Snakey and good luck with your Viper. I'm sorry your NSX experience wasn't was good as many of ours.

As Tim mentioned, having an engine blow up regardless of the circumstances or who is to blame would sour any ownership experience. I'm just dissapointed Snakey never investigated the many excellent FI options out there for the car like Lovefab, Wil (Angus) and SOS. Any one of these folks could set you up with a NSX that will destroy a stock Viper. The Honda C3X engine is a robust platfrom- Super GT NSXs used this engine to produce 500+ hp under race conditions. So, if you really want it, the NSX can be made as fast as any "modern" supercar. Personally, I don't think Snakey was ever that enthralled with the NSX in the first place. Most of his posts that I recall were always comparing the NSX to his Vipers.

These "comparo" threads in general bother me, as there is very little utility in bench racing these cars against each other. So much of a sports car experience to me is the intangible stuff. Some cars just feel "right" and others, though they may be superior on paper, don't. For example, I am this way about Porsches (sorry, Tim). I can't stand 'em. I know they are super fast, I know they have a great heritage and I know that they are raced all over the world in GT classes high and low. But, they don't feel right to me. I have driven 924, 944, 993, 996 and 997 P-cars and they all feel wrong. I don't like the gearbox, I don't like the pedals, I don't like the steering feel and the engine in the 911 models is in the wrong place. Notice how none of these complaints mentioned comparing dyno charts or nebulous 0-60 times from some magazine test. Instead, I just don't like 'em. This is such a personal feeling, that comparing cars doesn't really get us anywhere because different people like different intangibles. I'm sure there are plenty of folks out there that think a 993 Turbo Porsche (my teenage dream car btw until I actually drove one lol) is the best sports car ever!

So, when I see threads like "Which is better, NSX or Viper?" I roll my eyes. Nobody can tell you the answer to that question because nobody else is you. Clearly, Snakey always liked his Viper more than his NSX- it just means the Viper's intangibles were better for him. In truth, it would have been a mistake for him to spend $15k on a 700hp Lovefab turbo setup, since all he would be doing is trying to make his NSX into a Viper. Better to just get the Viper. I have driven a Viper and I think it's a brute and a handful. That sort of stuff gets real old real fast for me and the thought of driving that car for more than 30 minutes makes me shudder. On the other hand, I feel that my NSX gives me the best driving experience out of any car I've been exposed to. It is sedate enough to tool around town and, if driven properly it can deliver more thrill than I can manage at my present level of driving skill. Plus, all of the other intangibles that make NSXs popular despite being "slow."

whats up Snakey, remember me? :wink:

I am sorry you had to make that decision. I hope to own an NSX one day, and hope to never have to choose between my C6 Z06 and the NSX. They are two different experiences.

But I will say, I bought the C6 Z06 before the NSX because it is unmatched at its price point in performance, technology and looks. My Z06 puts down 540rwhp and weighs less than your Viper. Cars like these are a very visceral experience. I LOVE the performance feel of a big NA engine. And Z06's and Vipers can turn too.

So I understand where you are coming from, from a performance stand point. Just sorry to hear you had to part with your NSX as it is a special driving experience too.

Good luck in your travels.

Don't blame you one bit. You've OWNED both, played with both and made a well self informed and educated decision. Most people here have not owned two of anything of that caliber. I'd love to get a viper after the nsx goes bye bye.

Christ people, it's still just a damn car, get over your nsx.

Last edited:
After looking at the posing pics from the other site linked up here all that came to mind on all levels of interpretation was "I lift things up and put them down"....lmao

Good luck with yer Viper.....and just so ya know if you put the wrong parts on that motor it to will go boom.

dont forget these :D

clown.jpg

NSX for a Kia ?? :eek:

Funniest Reply Ever...Good Grief ....Hahaha

haha watching all the various people here with sand in their vaginas trying to bait Snakester into biting are having a tough sell. Too bad for all the keyboard warriors that Snakenheimer is acting more mature than you all.

big deal. he likes the viper better. he had a bad nsx experience. He's acting more mature than the majority here... and the ones saying he fits the bill for a viper owner... would those be the ones that actually like a fast car, or the ones who keep the discussion non insulting when insulted?

cheers gentlemen.

Snakelotpus, carry on my brother, carry on.

I am one of those people who have both and a lot of others. You can follow me on either Ford GT forum, Ferrarichat, and several other forums. Of the cars I’ve owned or still own the Ford GT and my Audi R8 are without a doubt the best examples of a well thought out, quality built sports car for the price. This is the second NSX I’ve owned and I got rid of a 2003 Viper convertible about a year ago.
The Viper is about as technologically advanced as a truck. Consider the OHV engine in which to get some horsepower they merely installed garbage can sized pistons to accomplish their goal, very advanced. Then to the clutch, nothing to speak of there, so to the transmission, and so on. Nothing special other than an attempt to get some cheap horsepower with an oversized engine. Not much pencil to paper here.
Since I wrench on many of my cars I experience first hand the quality, engineering, and technique that goes into the manufacture of the car. I remember reading that the exhaust note from a Viper reminded someone of a UPS truck (noted from Viperalley). Well my stock exhaust did, so I installed a B&B free flow cats and their exhaust, while removing 60lbs of additional exhaust from the stock set up. So now I sounded like a really loud UPS truck. In the process of doing that I was amused at the side exhaust covers that were made of cheap thin sheet metal and how they cost $2600 each. Then when I was chasing a wire on the passenger side front under the dash I nearly cut my hand off from the lack of deburring. Now the cool part about this is the wire bundle runs down that channel so here is a short waiting to happen. Spent a few bucks and rubber capped it. I can keep going like this forever, but even putting the top down is truly pathetic. You have to get out and open the trunk up so that you can put the top down or up (manually). Now that was another exercise in engineering brilliance. Are the Vipers fast, yes but it was done on the cheap. No real engineering expertise here and the quality of the build reminds me of a Yugo.
The NSX was a well thought out quality sports car. Consider the fact that my 91 3.0 liter engine manages to put out 270 hp and the Viper at (Gen III) with 8.3 liters manages to put out 500 hp. So if you efficiency the NXS is putting out 90 hp per liter while the Viper is putting out approx. 60 per liter. Not exactly impressive numbers. Just so you know my 5.4 liter 2005 Ford GT with a pulley and tune put out 640 hp and stock it was 550 hp. As an engineer I appreciate the time someone puts into designing a quality product and I also see when they didn’t.
With all this said I remember when I was in college in LA you could buy a gallon of Mountain Gold wine for $3.00. Plenty of wine and got you just as drunk as a fine Pinot Noir. So when quantity is your only criteria, then just do it. :wink:

haha watching all the various people here with sand in their vaginas trying to bait Snakester into biting are having a tough sell. Too bad for all the keyboard warriors that Snakenheimer is acting more mature than you all.

big deal. he likes the viper better. he had a bad nsx experience. He's acting more mature than the majority here... and the ones saying he fits the bill for a viper owner... would those be the ones that actually like a fast car, or the ones who keep the discussion non insulting when insulted?

cheers gentlemen.

Snakelotpus, carry on my brother, carry on.

your just sucking up so he dos'nt kick your ass first:tongue:

Snakey, you had to know you would need to put on your FIRE SUIT when you posted this on NSX Prime :biggrin:

I've more or less kicked back and watched this flame and burn! My fingers can hardly stand the heat coming off my keyboard.

... you've owned both cars... they are just cars... I'm sure the raw power of the Viper is incredible. Same with the Z06 Vettes... I've driven Vettes, but not a Z06 or a Viper...

I'm very happy with the NSX... but if I had deep pockets, won the lottery, etc. I would fill my stable with all sorts of HP ponies.

I better sign off before my PC melts down from all the heat and Flaming!

- Good luck... who knows... maybe as some have said, you may be back to enjoy a classic :smile:

I am one of those people who have both and a lot of others. You can follow me on either Ford GT forum, Ferrarichat, and several other forums. Of the cars I’ve owned or still own the Ford GT and my Audi R8 are without a doubt the best examples of a well thought out, quality built sports car for the price. This is the second NSX I’ve owned and I got rid of a 2003 Viper convertible about a year ago.
The Viper is about as technologically advanced as a truck. Consider the OHV engine in which to get some horsepower they merely installed garbage can sized pistons to accomplish their goal, very advanced. Then to the clutch, nothing to speak of there, so to the transmission, and so on. Nothing special other than an attempt to get some cheap horsepower with an oversized engine. Not much pencil to paper here.
Since I wrench on many of my cars I experience first hand the quality, engineering, and technique that goes into the manufacture of the car. I remember reading that the exhaust note from a Viper reminded someone of a UPS truck (noted from Viperalley). Well my stock exhaust did, so I installed a B&B free flow cats and their exhaust, while removing 60lbs of additional exhaust from the stock set up. So now I sounded like a really loud UPS truck. In the process of doing that I was amused at the side exhaust covers that were made of cheap thin sheet metal and how they cost $2600 each. Then when I was chasing a wire on the passenger side front under the dash I nearly cut my hand off from the lack of deburring. Now the cool part about this is the wire bundle runs down that channel so here is a short waiting to happen. Spent a few bucks and rubber capped it. I can keep going like this forever, but even putting the top down is truly pathetic. You have to get out and open the trunk up so that you can put the top down or up (manually). Now that was another exercise in engineering brilliance. Are the Vipers fast, yes but it was done on the cheap. No real engineering expertise here and the quality of the build reminds me of a Yugo.
The NSX was a well thought out quality sports car. Consider the fact that my 91 3.0 liter engine manages to put out 270 hp and the Viper at (Gen III) with 8.3 liters manages to put out 500 hp. So if you efficiency the NXS is putting out 90 hp per liter while the Viper is putting out approx. 60 per liter. Not exactly impressive numbers. Just so you know my 5.4 liter 2005 Ford GT with a pulley and tune put out 640 hp and stock it was 550 hp. As an engineer I appreciate the time someone puts into designing a quality product and I also see when they didn’t.
With all this said I remember when I was in college in LA you could buy a gallon of Mountain Gold wine for $3.00. Plenty of wine and got you just as drunk as a fine Pinot Noir. So when quantity is your only criteria, then just do it. :wink:

what's your handle on fordgtforum.com? I'm on as well. I don't post as much because it's way less.....interesting.... over there to do so. Especially with mods that hit the "delete post" button about as often as I hit redline in my FGT.

what's your handle on fordgtforum.com? I'm on as well. I don't post as much because it's way less.....interesting.... over there to do so. Especially with mods that hit the "delete post" button about as often as I hit redline in my FGT.

jcsb

Here is one of the posts on a build I'm doing.

http://www.fordgtforum.com/forums/s...as-a-project-ever-really-gotten-away-from-you!

I posted a Ferrari build I'm doing because the Ferrarichat site gets their panties all in a wad when you say your changing something. :tongue:

John

Wow, where can I go and spend $5,000. and get 500hp! If you can tell me where I can do that I might just buy another NSX and do it! LOL

Notice in his post he said build not buy, if you wanted 500HP (420-430whp) then you can do that on a 3.2l for about that budget but you will have to do it not pay someone to do it, that is the difference.

As far as the Viper vs. NSX debate, to each his own but since I am on my 3rd NSX and have driven many Vipers I made my choice, and if I were a betting man he will be back. There is something that keeps pulling you back in with the NSX or at least it does for me.

Dave

Back