• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Why so many new NSXs for sale?

Autotrader.com, eBay, [insert_site_that_sells_cars], have tons of the NC1 for sale. I thought the demand for them was high considering the huge dealer markups, not so much anymore?

The demand was never high in relationship to the ridiculous markups. Buyers who configured their own got bumped by dealers doing a configuration on spec and then seeking as much as $50k as a markup. Some suckers paid it but virtually everyone else has stayed away and is waiting for the pricing (now at MSRP in most places) to start coming below MSRP on cars configured by dealers rather than customized by the buyers.

Could it be that most dealers tacked on large "market adjustments" and a lot of expensive (overpriced) carbon fiber? Maybe Acura should have made sure the people that put down deposits actually got their cars in a timely manner, instead of letting this shit show take place.

Cars at dealers demanding big markups are "On Display" and are not "For Sale." I don't think you'll find many sensibly-optioned cars sitting on showroom floors for long if offered at MSRP.

Most of my customers want a base base car. steel rotors, no CF bits, and MSRP.

One of my biggest pet peeves is the forced "option" of carbon brakes. If they felt the need to squeeze more profit from early cars, they should have just charged $5K extra for a "Launch Edition" car.

Cars.com alone has 88 new NSX's sitting at dealerships listed from $156,000 to $248,000. about half were under $200,000 or with an "unlisted price".

attachment.php

that's a lot of cars sitting around for a brand new, long awaited, high interest model. based on the aforementioned numbers, it doesn't look like the demand is as high as was originally hoped for...

At this rate, I think I might have a shot to own a used one in a couple of years, but it sounds bad for Acura if being _at or below MSRP_ and they still don't start selling like hotcakes. Thanks for the info guys.

there's also roughly 100 of them listed on this forum in the NSXs For Sale (Gen 2) section (on eBay). i didn't look at each one, but there were quite a few in the $160k to $180k range sitting on the showroom floor waiting to be purchased.

dunno how many are duplicates, but between that and Cars.com, there's almost 200 new NSX's sitting at dealerships...

there's also roughly 100 of them listed on this forum in the NSXs For Sale (Gen 2) (on eBay). dunno how many are duplicates, but between that and Cars.com, there's almost 200 new NSX's sitting at dealerships...

FA I think you're out by about 100 NSX's
There's about 13 on eBay

there's also roughly 100 of them listed on this forum in the NSXs For Sale (Gen 2) section (on eBay). i didn't look at each one, but there were quite a few in the $160k to $180k range sitting on the showroom floor waiting to be purchased.

dunno how many are duplicates, but between that and Cars.com, there's almost 200 new NSX's sitting at dealerships...

You can't count what's listed here. Some dealers relist on fleabay every 36 hours and others every 7 days. Most on fleabay have been relisted 6-10 times now. We don't purge old fleabay ads.

There are currently 18 on fleabay which has been about the average at any given time.

Last edited:
you both could well be right, as i said i didn't look at each one individually. i did click on about a dozen and didn't see any duplicates. all had different colours, specs and asking prices. let's call it 100 new NSX's sitting on showroom floors then.

as Skaf said, that's a very big number for a long awaited, highly anticipated Supercar...

Ever the master of parade pissing. Astute followers of the international finance scene will be aware of the precarious signs that are becoming more concerning by the week. I think you will find that exotic car sales across all brands, along with high end real estate sales are on a downward trajectory at the moment. Honda unfortunately has been the victim of circumstances of timing. Keep ya chin up fastaussie - you'll be able to afford one in a fire-sale shortly, to go alongside your newly aquired 570S...

The car is built to order. If dealers have inventory, it's because they thought there was a chance for premiums. Acura is not "stuffing the channel."

Unless we hear credible stories of cars going for deep discounts to MSRP, then "number of unsold cars online" is not a meaningful statistic. I would also caution that some automated systems post all inventory at MSRP, but when you call, they want a premium....

I've been offered (repeatedly) build slots for a 570S at MSRP. Doesn't make me think any more or less of the car. I suspect the average NSX-qualified Acura dealer has deeper pockets than the average boutique "supercar" dealership, so it just might be a bit more greed/speculation. But it also probably means they aren't going to freak out and sell at a loss. They'll drop price to MSRP when they want to move the cars.....

Yeah yeah. Greedy stealerships. Sure. That's all I ever hear about this subject.

Maybe Acura should have made sure the people that put down deposits actually got their cars in a timely manner, instead of letting this shit show take place.

Maybe American Honda should have not extorted every dealer to buy an absurd amount of tools and equipment to be able to sell and service the car. I won't say the exact number just in case dealer cost isn't exactly public knowledge yet, but selling a NSX at sticker price, given the extremely limited amount to go around...means we won't get to a point where we break even for many years to come with this car. Can you really blame us for not trying to recoup the costs before the next iteration comes out and they make us buy a whole new bunch of tools?

They required every dealer to have a comprehensive set of special tools to be able to remove and replace every single component on the vehicle. Yet if the NSX is in any kind of a major collision they pretty much said, it has to go back to the factory where they have to handle the frame assessment and repairs. American Honda has several very limited use special tools for other carlines that can be lent out to a dealer on a case by case basis...perhaps they should have done that with things like the fixtures required to remove the engine on the NSX instead of forcing all the dealers to outright buy them.

Also. American Honda sold the dealers a bill of goods in the way of how much demand to expect. They had us all believe that the hype they were going to generate was going to have lines around the block of people with much more money than patience willing to outbid each other to get this world beating super exclusive hypercar. They all but told us to markup to our heart's content with what they were implying.

Last edited:
Yeah yeah. Greedy stealerships. Sure. That's all I ever hear about this subject.

Maybe American Honda should have not extorted every dealer to buy an absurd amount of tools and equipment to be able to sell and service the car. I won't say the exact number just in case dealer cost isn't exactly public knowledge yet, but selling a NSX at sticker price, given the extremely limited amount to go around...means we won't get to a point where we break even for many years to come with this car. Can you really blame us for not trying to recoup the costs before the next iteration comes out and they make us buy a whole new bunch of tools?

They required every dealer to have a comprehensive set of special tools to be able to remove and replace every single component on the vehicle. Yet if the NSX is in any kind of a major collision they pretty much said, it has to go back to the factory where they have to handle the frame assessment and repairs. American Honda has several very limited use special tools for other Caroline's that can be lent out to a dealer on a case by case basis...perhaps they should have done that with things like the fixtures required to remove the engine on the NSX instead of forcing all the dealers to outright buy them.

Also. American Honda sold the dealers a bill of goods in the way of how much demand to expect. They had us all believe that the hype they were going to generate was going to have lines around the block of people with much more money than patience willing to outbid each other to get this world beating super exclusive hypercar. They all but told us to markup to our heart's content with what they were implying.

I heard it was ~$200K-$250K for the new equipment. That's not much in the big pictire IMO, if those numbers are accurate.

You use a lot of "we" and "us". So I can only assume I assume YOU own a dealership?

Honda unfortunately has been the victim of circumstances of timing.

But, they are the ones who set the timing. The prototype came out something like five years ago. The car was benchmarked against the Audi R8, Ferrari 458, and the Porsche 911. They quickly realized that a hybrid transverse J series engine (like what's in the RLX hybrid) just wasn't going to be sufficient. So after cleansheeting pretty much the whole back 1/3 of the vehicle, the car got delayed almost 3 years. Just long enough to become almost irrelevant. Because all the cars they benchmarked had new generations come out and were already on sale, plus a few new entries to the market. And all of them are very competitive.

I heard it was ~$200K-$250K for the new equipment. That's not much in the big pictire IMO, if those numbers are accurate.

You use a lot of "we" and "us". So I can only assume I assume YOU own a dealership?

It's closer to $150k. And that's still an awful lot of money in the big picture. Like I said, it's going to take years to recover that cost selling the car at MSRP. By that time...who knows? Maybe a Type-R that's drastically different enough that they makes us buy another $10-20k worth of stuff for all those engine rebuilds they apparently think every dealer will be doing.

My user name should pretty much tell you what my job is. Beyond that, I can't discuss any other role I have with a dealership or American Honda.

If the dealers didn't take allocations, there would be no inventory.

They made some miscalculations; the number of early adopters willing to get porked with market adjustments and the number of customers willing to take loaded cars that they did not spec.

I have mentioned that it is understandable that some of the dealers would try to "get their investment back" quickly with market adjustments. If they started at $10K instead of $50 to 65K, maybe things would have gone better for them.

As it stands, many dealers have $200K in NSX infrastructure investment and a $200K car on the floor.

It looks like it will take many months to clear the inventory of these early cars.

Acura needs to get some test drive program in place to show folks how much fun the car is. My understanding is they are trying to put something in place.

Acura also needs to get Brembo to deliver some steel brakes so the folks looking for a minimum priced car can start participating.

But, they are the ones who set the timing.

You are 100% correct - I suppose the re-redesigns can be considered somewhat circumstantial if they were decisions made by management and beyond the control of the designers and engineers. What we probably ended up with were some compromises in order to bring the car to market to stem the ongoing development spending without a contributing income flow from sales. Here's hoping Honda have deep enough pockets to keep production and development going amidst any global financial recession.

Ever the master of parade pissing. Astute followers of the international finance scene will be aware of the precarious signs that are becoming more concerning by the week. I think you will find that exotic car sales across all brands, along with high end real estate sales are on a downward trajectory at the moment. Honda unfortunately has been the victim of circumstances of timing. Keep ya chin up fastaussie - you'll be able to afford one in a fire-sale shortly

you sound really bitter. try to relax a bit before something internal explodes...

and read a few other posts instead of automatically disagreeing with me and presuming to know so much about what is actually virtually nothing. I’m not the only one who doesn’t see things as you do.

Porsche had no trouble selling nine hundred and ninety one 911R's in minutes. how does your global finance scene explain that one?

regardless of what you think, or whichever excuses you care to produce. over 100 new cars sitting around does not equal hot seller...

you sound really bitter. try to relax a bit before something internal explodes...

Lol, nuh mate, I was having a smile and poking a bit of borax. Most people on this forum have already worked out that you're going to find fault dissing the car wherever you can. I really did imagine you with your NC1 NSX and 570S side-by-side on your driveway as a kind of irony.... Miracles do happen! :smile:

Back