• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Why spend that much for your NSX?

but when you look at real numbers, the Cayman S is not any faster than a 97 NSX. In fact, the new Porsche Boxster S isn't any faster than a 97 NSX and thats with the PDK. With a manual its probably slower.

But if you are basing your decision on which car is faster, you should buy something else and not the NSX.

That's correct. At the end, 97+ NSX is still better than Cayman-S (911 Lite) overall.

Here is my last response to the OP for "why spend that much for your nsx"

BECAUSE I CAN!!! :)

Ps that's not an attack..just a statement

Last edited:
Hi,

being here since 2005 showed me something:

Many owners sell the NSX, go play with those modern cars you mention and then come back to an NSX.... and there are many guys that do this 2...3...4 times.

There has to be something about the NSX to "force" them to come back....

... and there is only one way for you to find out why: Buy one and try it yourself.

if after a couple of months you don't see anything special about it (rare, but can happen), just sell it and get your money back and move on....

Nuno

My input into this matter is I bought my NSX this year(91 silver) because one finally came up for sale that fit my criteria it was a good color, low mileage, Canadian car, no modifications, and only 3 previous owners(all older gentleman). I wanted something rare and defined me as an individual(plus I have wanted one for a while now). Honestly trying to compete with the performance game with other cars today I find is completely useless. Can I smoke a new Mustang, Corvette, 4 door BMW, SRT8 Charger etc. probably not (if not a definite no). But my car is still a rolling piece of art that is a great over all package. Like other people have stated, most of the other cars(Porsche, Corvettes) are usually easily found and will continue to be. Where in my case, after searching for about 2 years an NSX came up on the market for me and I only had one chance to scoop it up before it was sold to another buyer(causing my search to continue for another 2 years). Honestly I still look at the NSX market to reassure myself that I made a good buy and honestly so far I have because nothing has come back on the market that I am interested in since I bought in July. Ultimately, I like owning cars that you do not see very often and something not every person with cash flow buys(I think most NSX owners are probably cut from the same cloth because it does take thought into spending hard earned money on an older vehicle when other newer options are out there). Plus NSX owners are more genuine and helpful than other car owners I have met so far.

Last edited:
Hi,

being here since 2005 showed me something:

Many owners sell the NSX, go play with those modern cars you mention and then come back to an NSX.... and there are many guys that do this 2...3...4 times.

There has to be something about the NSX to "force" them to come back....

... and there is only one way for you to find out why: Buy one and try it yourself.

if after a couple of months you don't see anything special about it (rare, but can happen), just sell it and get your money back and move on....

Nuno
That's Me! I've strayed twice and always end up comparing all cars I buy to the NSX.
Now on my 3rd NSX and will never put myself through that hunt for another one again!
Here to stay For Sure!:biggrin:

That's Me! I've strayed twice and always end up comparing all cars I buy to the NSX.
Now on my 3rd NSX and will never put myself through that hunt for another one again!
Here to stay For Sure!:biggrin:

Yep, listen to him! He knows what he is talking about! He is very wise to come back! :biggrin: Welcome back Brother!

Yep, listen to him! He knows what he is talking about! He is very wise to come back! :biggrin: Welcome back Brother!

LOL, you're one to talk Brother .... you're on #3 too:eek:
Glad to be Back as well! Too much fun around here:biggrin:

spjvang you simply need to delay this NSX purchase until your dream 2002+/Zanardi reaches your $35-40k price point (which for selfish reasons I hope takes a long time). Your declared budget just isn't going to get you into THE NSX you want. Go ahead and purchase one of those $50k-70k better bargains, then add the NSX to your collection when you are ready. Just make sure you get the NSX that makes you happy.

I'm at the point where obtaining an NSX is no longer just a dream, but can become reality. However, in today's high-end sport car market, I find it extremely hard to justify buying my dream NSX (2002+ or Zanardi ed.). For $50-70k, my head says a used GTR, 911, Cayman, Evora, etc. are a much better bargain. They are newer, faster, just as exotic, almost better in everyway.....for what the NSX has to offer, I can only convince myself to spend $35-40k on one. However, it won't be THE NSX that I want.

Buy each of those cars and see which one you like better :) I would love to get a GTR or a 911 for $70k. But since I have 3 kids, I made the best choice with my $70 and got a NSX and a Lexus ISF. I almost got a 911carrera s but there is no room in the back seat for my kids. :)

It sounds too simple, but what attributes made the NSX your dream car? It was the styling for me, but ultimately the car felt perfect when sitting in the cockpit (the P-car and most others felt like a normal car interior). Driving it had me sold. Other cars may have more HP, faster, etc. but didn't really matter (for me). If you can smile everytime you drive it, the experience is what ultimately matters. If another car can do that, then your question is answered.

The icing on the cake is that these cars do hold their value. Very few cars can be viewed as an investment, but knowing I can get the bulk of my spend when I do decide to sell it, makes me even happier. Sounds like you have a practical side - think total cost of ownership. Ask yourself what a f-car, p-car and a gtr will be worth 5-10 years from now. Ask yourself what you would spend in maintenance in this duration. It's a testament when a 20+ year old car with high miles still sells for $20K. A 2002+ with low miles seems reasonable @ 50K. And there are all the years in between. There is clearly something special when you look at the market for these.

wow thats quite a collection you have there.

Buy each of those cars and see which one you like better :) I would love to get a GTR or a 911 for $70k. But since I have 3 kids, I made the best choice with my $70 and got a NSX and a Lexus ISF. I almost got a 911carrera s but there is no room in the back seat for my kids. :)

wow thats quite a collection you have there.

Thanks, I was quite lucky when I purchased my NSX in 2010. Got it really cheap - it did not need any immediate maintenance. I was able to talk with 2 of the previous owners before I purchased the car. Best part is before I picked up the NSX from the dealer the previous owner told me that he also left his work wheels like the ones in your picture and buddyclub coilovers and they should be included with the sale. I did not know those work wheels are so expensive. I also looked at a brandnew is250. Fully loaded it was almost 37k. Good thing the salesman told me there was a certified 08 blue ISF. I paid a little bit more for the ISF but it was worth it.

oh wow i quickly checked and ive seen your car before. you have the all black 17/18 works vsxx that look like 18/19.

lol im the idiot that bought ended up buying a regular is250 :) . Love the isF but i really wanted something casual to drive standard at the time ; and where i live im sure a used isF would have been too much out of my price range.

looks like you got it for a great deal. congrats again, by the time i started to search something must have really changed in the nsx market since deals like that have been unheard of prtetty much after you bought :)!

Thanks, I was quite lucky when I purchased my NSX in 2010. Got it really cheap - it did not need any immediate maintenance. I was able to talk with 2 of the previous owners before I purchased the car. Best part is before I picked up the NSX from the dealer the previous owner told me that he also left his work wheels like the ones in your picture and buddyclub coilovers and they should be included with the sale. I did not know those work wheels are so expensive. I also looked at a brandnew is250. Fully loaded it was almost 37k. Good thing the salesman told me there was a certified 08 blue ISF. I paid a little bit more for the ISF but it was worth it.

Have considered the NSX as a possible candidate for inclusion to our collection of classics and modern era cars. A very close friend and ever more ardent collector than me, has a NSX, GTR, RX-7, along with many, many other modern era super cars. The one he most always describes as the best, is his NSX. I don't remember the year or interior color, I only remember that the car is white and in reading this forum, white is a very rare color. Good, that fits my friend well as most all of his cars fit the "rare" description.

My friend always enthusiastically grants permission for me to drive the NSX. To date, I've not had the need to drive the car, because, I trust in his judgement.

Most all of our car buying decisions are made as a team with my wife of 40 years. There is always a banter going on which I tend to perpetuate with: "Always room for one more car" where in response, my wife simply rolls her eyes... Guys, you all know the look... So, for now, we have agreed that the NSX will be the next car to add to our modern era collection, and get this, "she" started the discussion. Nice!

The target car will be an '05 with reasonable miles with reasonable documented service history and a clean report on any body damage. We do not have a silver car and would be the color of choice. Preference will be to obtain the car from the Pacific-NW area, but would consider other locations as well.

Have enjoyed reading the threads here and it is always great to read posts by enamored enthusiasts.

Hope to join the owners club soon.

Best,

DJ

Where the next super-car will reside:

aemnvk.jpg

Pictures always make for a more interesting post.

Last edited:
Thanks again, PHOEN$X.

A fellow FGT owner as well as NSX, recommended that I check out this site and become a member. He was right!

Best,

DJ

we have 2 regular posters I know of that own a fgt and nsx...ons is boosted to about equal the fgt in stock trim and the other has it like it left the showroom.You should have no problem finding a nice 05 depending on budget.

We do not have a silver car and would be the color of choice.
Silverstone is a fabulous choice, I think the NSX can carry that color brilliantly due to its inherent aggressive lines balancing out the more mundane (rather than flashy) color.

One of my favorite NSXs on this forum is Brylek's 2004 Silverstone, partially because he does such a fabulous job photographing it. I always enjoy it when he adds a new round of photos to his thread and fortunately he just did so recently!

Good luck in your search, I suspect you will pick up a great car.

we have 2 regular posters I know of that own a fgt and nsx...ons is boosted to about equal the fgt in stock trim and the other has it like it left the showroom.You should have no problem finding a nice 05 depending on budget.

Thanks for the heads up, docjohn.

Guys I've chatted with on the FGT Forum are all very happy with the NSX. One conversation comes to mind where the fellow was comparing the NSX to the FGT: "One is like a surgeons scalpel and the other is like a machete."

Silverstone is a fabulous choice, I think the NSX can carry that color brilliantly due to its inherent aggressive lines balancing out the more mundane (rather than flashy) color.

One of my favorite NSXs on this forum is Brylek's 2004 Silverstone, partially because he does such a fabulous job photographing it. I always enjoy it when he adds a new round of photos to his thread and fortunately he just did so recently!

Good luck in your search, I suspect you will pick up a great car.

Thanks for the link, blue_myriddn.

Have to say, the photo's Brylek has taken are superb, and, without question, seals the deal on Silverstone.

Thank you both for responding to my post.

Best,

DJ

Back