• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

window lube nightmare. any clues??

I decided to pull all the guts out of the door to do the window rail and regulator lube, as my passenger window had gotten slow and I think I used the wrong type of grease the first time I halfway lubed it without taking it apart.
To make a long story short, section 20, page 8, item 12 of the 91 manual shows a latch rod that, according to the manual, pops right out of the holder, allowing you to remove the rear sash. Well, I pushed, pulled, screamed at, took everything apart in the vicinity, threw things in the garage, got out the torch then reconsidered, and could not get the ^&@ rod loose. I felt around the back of the rod, and could not feel a clip or anything, and although there was a threaded adjuster above it, I could not figure out how to get anything in there to try and loosen it. Ended up having to go around my elbow to get to my thumb when it came to removing the glass, by leaving the sash in place and attempting to fold the window in half. Wife was actually calling the car bad names after I made her come out and help me reinstall the window. Has anyone else had the same problem, or is my car just possessed? Six and a half hours later, the window works great, although I am exhausted.

This was almost as bad as my oil change, although I now have the hang of that, but thinking about doing the other door gives me heartburn.

Any info, advice, derisive laughter, will be much appreciated. :eek:

OK, I've done that... Rather, I did it on the driver's side, but afterwards I decided to skip it on the passenger side!

The latch rod is for the lock. It was awkward, and there IS a clip, white plastic as I recall. It's back-asswards compared to other clips of it's type that simply rotate in their socket and clip over the metal rod.

This one, as I recall, folds around the rod, but on the BACK side of the flat metallic part of the door lever mecanism. I wish I could provide you more specific details, and I've been looking at the manual as I write this, but I can't without seeing the piece again.

I remember I had a mother of a time getting it back in the way it came out and damn near broke it because I folded it the wrong way, ie. around the flat part of the door mechanism rather than on the rod itself.

All I can say is get a good strong flashlight, lower the window, and do whatever you can until you see the clip from the right angle to figure it out. I know it's ugly, but hey, once it's done, you won't have to go back in there, right?

Don:(

I was able to take the three hex bolts out of the side of the door that hold the latch in place and lift up the rear sash to get the widow rail out without removing the latch rod. It looked too difficult to ever get back on.

Back