• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Windshield questions

After 170,000 miles my windshield has to be replaced. I know I can go with an aftermarket for less money but the real question I am looking to to get an answer for is. Are there any noticeable difference between a pre 97 Oem windshield with the bronze glass and 97+ with heat absorbing glass. This info comes from the wiki page. If there is a difference will they interchange. I know my 91 gets extremely hot inside which is partially due to the large glass and low angle.
Also the dash piece that is always cracked is it the time to replace it with windshield out or does the dash still have to come out.

dash does not have to come out to do the windshield. all years will fit. but your not gonna get an OEM one its going to be an aftermarket brand.

but if I were you I would take everything off so all the windshield guy has to do is place the glass on and drive away. I had to replace a customers windshield because I removed a part that was stuck and I cracked it, I informed the customer that I will pay for it etc. I took everything off the exterior a-pillars, the from cowl, the inner metal cover that has the rubber parts. and I didn't break any of the 8-9 retainer clips that are yellow. I went to put everything back together and the windshield guy installed the new windshield wrong it was over to far to the left and the parts didn't fit correctly as they were all off by an inch and the other side had an inch gap. so he came out put a new one in and as he was taking the new old one out it cracked. he said that's why he brought another one because the NSX windshields sometimes crack during install or removal.

- - - Updated - - -

the reason I say take everything off yourself is that I have also seen how they install the windshield without any knowledge of how to do it correctly. these 8-9 yellow retainer clips needed to keep the lower cover pressed against the windshield instead of using oem new clip since they broke every single one they decided to glue the lower cover to the windshield it was a mess. then tring to take off the a-pillars they glued them to it was nasty had to hand scrap the 12lbs of extra glue off so the parts would fit like OEM.

Sorry, I didn't mean dash to come out to replace the windshield. I meant to replace the dash trim piece that is always cracked right at the centerline of the dash. Where it meets the windshield. Also do you have any knowledge of interior heat difference from Oem 91 and Oem 97+.

i had this trim piece replaced recently,and the dash needs to come out.to keep the new one from cracking,i got one of these custom sunshades,which fits great-

http://www.autoanything.com/driving-accessories/60A1228A0A0.aspx

don't know about the difference in the two windshields,but this shade will fix the problem.

I was afraid that would be the way it had to come out. Wishful thinking I guess that it would be easy with windshield already out. Now just need to figure if there is a real difference in 91and 97+ Oem glass.

i didn't have my windshield out,so i'm not positive that wouldn't allow it without pulling the dash,but i'm pretty sure.i'm also interested to know if there is a difference in the two windshields.

So would I.
Wiki says in 97 one of the changes was heat absorbing glass in place of bronze. Having never owned or been in 97+ I have no idea if it is a difference at all. Or if an Oem windshield is still available in any year. Judging by shawn's reply neither would be available.
If that is the case then I would just get what is available and drive on. Probably gonna get chipped again anyway.

the part that is broken where the sensor is the dash must come out... even if the windshield was out there are 6 screws holding it to the chassis and they are under the dash. once the dash is removed you have access to these screws.

- - - Updated - - -

as for the heat shield I noticed no difference from my 92 compared to my 2004,2004,2002,2002,1994,1993 or my 1991

I replaced my 91 windshield last year with an OEM made in Japan unit so they are available
It was expensive.

I replaced my '91 windshield a couple of weeks ago with a new one ordered through an Acura dealer (original Honda part). It was air-shipped from Honda in Japan and installed by a local body shop for less than I could buy the glass alone for from Acura directly (they sell to body shops at a discount). Got all the new trim pieces with it too for about CDN$1,300 - worth every penny.

At 196,000 km I decided it was sand-blasted enough to warrant replacement.

Note: USA Prime readers can probably have the job done for 25% less because of the crazy rate of exchange these days...

Last edited:
I checked local dealer and online Oem parts supplier 91 and 97 are available. They have different part numbers and the 97 has (green) in the description. 97 is double the money of 91. Is it worth the extra money. I have $100.00 deductible and agent says they will replace with Oem glass. I don't know if they would do 97 glass.

If your car is a 91 why would your insurer consider a 97 windshield?
It would cost them twice as much and it's not correct for your car.
I'd be thankful they'll cover an OEM made in Japan part rather than a US made generic equivalent.

Windshield is consumable part. As long as good quality aftermarket available I'm happy. Bought all the oem rubber pieces though.

I bought an OEM windshield (Safelite) for different type of car a few years ago.

The glass was clear and distortion free, but it seemed to wear more quickly than the original glass (was it softer?), that's why I bought an expensive windshield directly from Honda (Acura) when I replaced my NSX windshield.

Guys, when you talk about "Honda Glass"..... you do realize that there ARE suppliers that make glass for Honda right?

There isn't any special blessing that Honda does to the glass. It comes from somewhere, maybe PPG or Pilkington. They are OEM suppliers.

Not that these are high end collector cars (yet), but among those who do collect, show, and judge high end collector cars, having the correct glass is important. Those little markings etched into the glass that identify brand, etc, are important.

More to the point, I'm not sure you get comparable optical or structural quality with a $250 windshield from Mr. Glass or Safelite as you do with original equipment replacement glass from Honda. They might not call in the high priests to bless their glass but Honda's specifications may be more stringent.

- - - Updated - - -

On this topic, are there commercially available services that polish windshields to eliminate all the little pits and scratches?

On this topic, are there commercially available services that polish windshields to eliminate all the little pits and scratches?

^^^^^^ I want to know this too!

While I haven't done it myself, I have read that using a clay bar and machine polishing just like you would do on the paint works just as well on the windshield as it does clear coat. I've never done it on a windshield, but it worked extremely well on the hazed over headlights on my wife's old Honda fit.

OK. I did a little searching and it seems like, yes, you can buff out small pits and scratches but you need to use a polish containing cerium oxide. And it does not sound like a simple or easy job. Read this thread on Autogeek for details...

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum...e-pits-glass-windows-using-rotary-buffer.html

But pay heed to the advice in the thread or you could ruin a perfectly ok windshield.

- - - Updated - - -

While I haven't done it myself, I have read that using a clay bar and machine polishing just like you would do on the paint works just as well on the windshield as it does clear coat. I've never done it on a windshield, but it worked extremely well on the hazed over headlights on my wife's old Honda fit.

Clay bar can clean up sap mist and other contaminants that look like tiny pits. They even sell clay bars specifically for glass.

However, a polish that might clean up the plastic headlight cover on a Fit will not do anything much at all on glass.

Back