• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Windshield Washer Motor Problems

Recently my winshield wiper wash motor stop pumping water to clean my winshield has anyone encounter this problem if so what should I check to fix it w/o replacing the entire motor?

I removed all of it. use rainx:cool:

its a quick check.

turn off the car, with the power on, pull the WW lever and listen for a buzzing from the motor in the front. if there is no sound, you will need to investigate further by testing with an actual 12 volt current test.

to test the wires for 12 volt, get a volt meter, place one side on the + other on the ground, and get someone to pull the WW lever and see if you get a 12 volt reading.

if there is 12, then its probably the motor, if there is no 12 volt, then there is an issue with the wiring or circuit.

if you do get 12 volt, move on testing the pump, there will be a 12 volt current wire and a ground wire.

you can pull alligator clips from the battery and place the 12 on the + terminal of the pump and ground the negative side.

if it pump does not actuate, its time to replace it.

if its running but no water comes out the sprayer nozzle, I would rule out the pump or circuit and check the lines leading from pump to nozzle.

warm regards

Rob:smile:

its a quick check.

turn off the car, with the power on, pull the WW lever and listen for a buzzing from the motor in the front. if there is no sound, you will need to investigate further by testing with an actual 12 volt current test.

to test the wires for 12 volt, get a volt meter, place one side on the + other on the ground, and get someone to pull the WW lever and see if you get a 12 volt reading.

if there is 12, then its probably the motor, if there is no 12 volt, then there is an issue with the wiring or circuit.

if you do get 12 volt, move on testing the pump, there will be a 12 volt current wire and a ground wire.

you can pull alligator clips from the battery and place the 12 on the + terminal of the pump and ground the negative side.

if it pump does not actuate, its time to replace it.

if its running but no water comes out the sprayer nozzle, I would rule out the pump or circuit and check the lines leading from pump to nozzle.

warm regards

Rob:smile:

Is there a drawing showing the location of the motor and pump. I dont see one in the '91 service manual. Do you have to take the front bumper off to test/replace them?

I see one red 2 pin connector below(and towards the center of the car) of the filling cap in my '04, is this the pump? It gets 12V for about 3 seconds when the washer lever is pulled

thanks

Last edited:
Is there a drawing showing the location of the motor and pump. I dont see one in the '91 service manual. Do you have to take the front bumper off to test/replace them?

I see one red 2 pin connector below(and towards the center of the car) of the filling cap in my '04, is this the pump? It gets 12V for about 3 seconds when the washer lever is pulled

thanks

ok found my own problem, when applying 12V from battery to connector on pump, the pump works. When connecting jumpers to each side of connector, the pump works. When I plug in the connector it doesnt work. After an hour of cursing and squeezing the spade connector tighter, it turns out the one blade on the male side of the connector was bent, and everytime I put the connector on, the blade would slide outside of the connector. And you cannot see it because it is on the bumper side. anyway, it is now fixed. A better question would be who disconnected(and reconnected) it to begin with, as I'm sure it must have worked from the factory.

Back