• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Windy City School May 1-2 at RA.

Recent ex-NSX owner Jeff Bejerke was on hand with the NSX replacement, a Euro powered E36 lightweight race car.

Steve Jenkins was also on hand, not with his NSX, but with an E30 M3, is pristine condition.

I will have more pics here and in the off-topic tomorrow.

Attachments

• may01031.jpg
    may01031.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 219
Looks like you guys had a great time. I would have liked to have gone but had plans for that weekend. I have looked over the registration info and have a question. It talks about going through a tech inspection and says what's involved but is this something I have to have done by someone or sign up for the club tech session? How do you handle this?

I just happened to have had my car up at Acura of Brookfield for some transmission work prior to the RA event, and had John Vasos sign my tech inspection sheet off. I believe that the Windy City BMW Club actually held a tech inspection event at a BMW dealer (at N/C) for their bimmer brothers.

Reading over the application for the next BMW CCA event they talk about Pre-tech at the Bimmer dealer. Did they go over your car at RA?

My car is at AOB right now getting the AC fixed, I think it would be a little early for GingerMan.

It is a very common procedure to require a technical inspection prior to a track event. It consists of checking a number of items on the car - thickness of brake pads, wiggling wheels for ball joints, etc - to make sure that the car is mechanically sound and nothing obvious is wrong with it that could cause a mechanical problem on the track. Performing a technical inspection on a car should take anywhere from 15 to 30 minutes. Some dealers and mechanics will do it for free, while others will charge for their labor, up to an hour.

Many of the clubs offer a "tech inspection day" at a local dealer as a benefit and convenience for those participating. This is done for free, with the dealer providing their services at no charge. However, you can take your car to any competent mechanic for the tech inspection. Most of the items are part of normal routine maintenance; if your car is regularly serviced at another dealer or mechanic, they may even be able to sign off on the inspection of your car based on the service work they are already providing, as Dave (Rockford NSX) notes.

The inspection always takes place prior to the day of the track event, so that any problems uncovered can be fixed before going there. The clubs do not perform technical inspections at the track on the day of the event.

Someone is going to read this and ask how they handle technical inspections for those who service their own cars but are not professional mechanics. I don't know the answer to that.

BMWCCA forms

Briank said:
Is there a tech inspection form available? I looked all over the BMW CCA site and did not find one.
Nowhere near Ken's CCA HPDE experience, but will take a shot at this...

Whilst there are club-wide standards, each chapter typically provides their own sheets on their website.

As an example, here's one that's online:

http://www.rmcbmwcca.org/DrivingSchool/tech inspection professional.pdf

This gives you an idea of what's checked for: basic overall mechanical and structural soundness, with emphasis on tires, brakes, and safety equipment. But check with the local chapter running your event for more specifics.

Note: several chapters might not have these forms online, preferring to distribute these upon "acceptance" into a school.

Application to Windy City GMAN school here -- http://www.windycitybmw.com/eventapps/2004/gm04app.pdf

Briank said:
Thanks for the info, looks pretty straight forward. I do most of my own work but have no problem paying Acura of Brookfield to confirm that every thing is fine and sign off.
Agree with you on ALL counts.
After you've started doing more of these events, with greater frequency, you start to appreciate some of the "extra stress" these track days can put into suspension, powertrain and braking components. Getting a guy like John who is VERY FAMILIAR with the effects of such stresses on our NSX, and the appropriate remediation, including things over-and-above the typical "tech inspection list" -- like worn bushings, loose axle nuts, drive half-shafts, oil blow-by catch-cans, hydraulic master/slave cylinders, etc

Over time, the list is an OK starting point, but you'll realize that there are a couple of other things to consider... also documented in places like the NSX FAQ ( http://www.nsxprime.com/FAQ/Track/trackpreparation.htm ).

They will include the technical inspection form in the information packet they send you after you sign up for the event.

Back