• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Wireless Networking Gurus, I Need HELP!!!

lemansnsx said:
Or at this point judge it to be a waste of time and go for a PCI adapter.
I just did. That also turned out to be a waste of time. I installed a PCI adapter and it's working exactly the same way; it recognizes the network (strong signal) and assigns the proper IP address to itself. But it can't find it as an internet connection. So the PCI adapter works exactly the same way as the USB adapter. In other words - it doesn't work at all.

Now, I suppose my next step is to replace the router with another one, and find that it doesn't cure the problem either... (I can't believe that it's the router; if it were the router, the client PC wouldn't be receiving a strong signal that it can recognize.)

But before I do that, I'll try the hard wiring cable (when I receive it) and see if that works. If that doesn't work, then the problem is definitely the computer, not the network devices. (I suspect this is the case... how does the computer recognize that the only open network connection is the one it should be using for the internet and e-mail? Is there something about TC/PIP that I need to look at?)

...unless someone has another suggestion...?

:confused:

I’m still not convinced it’s not a software issue with your wife’s computer - in TCP/IP or network settings or drivers. Have you tried the USB adapter on the other computer? Better yet, is it possible to connect your wife’s computer to the router using a regular NIC with Ethernet cable? It would be interesting to see what happens.

Ojas said:
I’m still not convinced it’s not a software issue with your computer - in TCP/IP or network settings or drivers.
I agree with you (just edited my previous post before seeing yours, in fact). I think there is something in the computer whereby it doesn't know that the network connection it has (which is enabled) is the place it is supposed to go for internet and e-mail. How does this get set?

(I think it's the TCP/IP - which I know nothing about - rather than the network settings or drivers, just because I've tried multiple hardware/driver solutions and none have worked.)

nsxtasy said:
(I think it's the TCP/IP - which I know nothing about - rather than the network settings or drivers, just because I've tried multiple hardware/driver solutions and none have worked.)

Which is why I mentioned repairing the LAN connection - which is really as close as you can get in XP to re-installing TCP/IP. I recall that you said you tried this? You should next try the steps in this Microsoft article.
I also mentioned running system file checker which you did not respond to but it is probably unimportant.

Edit: the next step for me if this was a machine under my control in ensuring that it is not related to the Windows installation would be a repair install of XP - which is not to be undertaken without having all of the M$ critical updates and patches at hand on CD so that the machine is NOT connected to the web until fully patched.

Normally, DHCP will take care of all the IP settings (all the stuff you see when you do ipconfig at the command prompt).

On my wireless adapter’s TCP/IP properties (Start > Control Panel > Network Connections > right click on your wireless network > Properties > Choose "Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)", Properties): I have everything set to automatic: Obtain IP address automatically, Obtain DNS server address automatically, when I click Advanced... button to view Advanced TCP/IP Settings... I am just using the default settings (screenshot attached).

I suppose one thing you could try would be to give your computer a static IP address rather than having one assigned by DHCP. To do this, you specify IP address, Subnet mask, Default gateway, and DNS server address on your wireless adapter’s TCP/IP properties.

You can use an IP address like 192.168.1.50 (*)
Subnet mask: 255.255.255.0
Default gateway: 192.168.1.1

For DNS server address, go to your router’s status page and use the first two DNS servers listed under the WAN section.

The downside of this would need to update DNS server addresses if your ISP changes them.

* Technically, you should modify the starting IP address on your router’s DHCP page to ensure the static IP cannot be handed out by DHCP, but using something like .50 should be okay.

Attachments

• advanced_tcpip.jpg
    advanced_tcpip.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 196
lemansnsx said:
Which is why I mentioned repairing the LAN connection - which is really as close as you can get in XP to re-installing TCP/IP. I recall that you said you tried this?
Yes. Didn't work. :(

lemansnsx said:
You should next try the steps in this Microsoft article.
Tried it. Didn't work. :(

lemansnsx said:
the next step for me if this was a machine under my control in ensuring that it is not related to the Windows installation would be a repair install of XP - which is not to be undertaken without having all of the M$ critical updates and patches at hand on CD so that the machine is NOT connected to the web until fully patched.
Can't do it. Don't have a CD burner.

I suppose I could re-install XP... :(

Ojas said:
one thing you could try would be to give your computer a static IP address rather than having one assigned by DHCP. To do this, you specify IP address, Subnet mask, Default gateway, and DNS server address on your wireless adapter’s TCP/IP properties.

You can use an IP address like 192.168.1.50 (*)
Subnet mask: 255.255.255.0
Default gateway: 192.168.1.1

For DNS server address, go to your router’s status page and use the first two DNS servers listed under the WAN section.
Tried it. Didn't work. :(

I'm running out of options. My remaining ones are:

- try hard wired connection to router (will do)
- try replacing router
- re-install XP and re-apply patches (?)
- call one of those places that makes house calls for computers (probable cost $100-150)
- replace client PC :eek:

I hope you don't mind if I chip in here, but how about this for an idea.

Go to CompUSA, buy the same router that you have, and then arrange for the free at home installation service that they provide. One of two things will get accomplished. One, they will successfully set up the network, or two, they will identify the problem.

I had a tremendous amount of difficulty setting up a Linksys network that I put in the attic and forgot about it. Then, about six months ago I bought a Belkin 802.11g, ran the install cd, and it has worked flawless since.

Originally posted by nsxtasy Can't do it. Don't have a CD burner. I suppose I could re-install XP... :(

NO! The point is that if you re-install XP you MUST re-install all of the updates/patches/etc. If you try to do that while connected to the 'net you are at very high risk of attack/infection. If you don't have a burner have a friend download and burn to CD the latest complete ISO from Autopatcher and use that before re-connecting. If you absolutely can't get someone to do this for you I'll mail you a copy.

Originally posted by nsxtasy
- try hard wired connection to router (will do)
- try replacing router
- re-install XP and re-apply patches (?)
- call one of those places that makes house calls for computers (probable cost $100-150)
- replace client PC :eek:

Hard wire good option. :)
Router? Can't hurt - gotta love those return policies.;)
Problem with calling a tech - and I know this from many years of experience - is that even a very good tech is not going to be able to walk in and fix this one in a quick visit. If you get an inexperienced tech you're going to end up wiping the computer and starting over.

Edit: Would you mind going to this link and downloading a copy of HijackThis? Extract the zip archive to a new folder, preferably C:\HJT. Run the scan and save the log file. PM or e-mail me the log at aph"at"swissinfo"dot"org.
This will allow me to see if anything is running that shouldn't be.

DocL said:
I hope you don't mind if I chip in here
Of course not - and I appreciate it, for all kinds of reasons. ;)

DocL said:
Go to CompUSA, buy the same router that you have, and then arrange for the free at home installation service that they provide.
That's a possibility. I'm not sure it's free, though. But regardless, that's what I was referring to when I mentioned "house calls". CompUSA and Best Buy both offer home installation/repair services (Best Buy's are called the "Geek Squad"), and there are others as well. In fact, there was an article about them in the local newpaper the other day; I'll copy it into the end of this post. They tend to be geared towards the computer novice, which is why lemansnsx's concerns about their experience are probably valid. I'm sure I have more computer experience than 95+ percent of their customers. And my problem seems to be an extremely complex and unusual one. (I realize that networks should be pretty close to "plug and play", and in most cases, they are. Heck, in my case it was - for a while, anyway.) I would hate to spend $100-150 and risk that the problem doesn't even get solved. Or gets fixed, but happens again. If that happened, I would look back and regret that I didn't just replace the computer. Sounds drastic, I know, but when computers sell for ~$400...

lemansnsx said:
NO! The point is that if you re-install XP you MUST re-install all of the updates/patches/etc. If you try to do that while connected to the 'net you are at very high risk of attack/infection.
Can't I re-install XP when I am not connected, and then get the patches when I connect to the 'net? And how would I be at a high risk of attack/infection, when (a) supposedly the router prevents you from getting attacked/infected, and (b) Norton Internet Security is running on the computer? (And, before you say Aha!, yes I tried disabling NIS and connecting to the internet. Didn't work.)

lemansnsx said:
If you don't have a burner have a friend download and burn to CD the latest complete ISO from Autopatcher and use that before re-connecting. If you absolutely can't get someone to do this for you I'll mail you a copy.
I appreciate the offer. Let's try exhausting the less drastic options first.

lemansnsx said:
Hard wire good option. :)
Router? Can't hurt - gotta love those return policies.;)
Yes. I also realized something this morning about the hard wire option. This is what I suspect is going to happen: I'm going to connect the hard wire - I can try it into the router as well as directly into the cable modem - and it's still going to have the same problem (recognizes the connection but won't use it for internet and e-mail). If that occurs, we can conclude that replacing the router won't help, so that will be ruled out. (If it works, then there is more debugging to do, including the possibility of replacing the router.)

lemansnsx said:
Edit: Would you mind going to this link and downloading a copy of HijackThis? Extract the zip archive to a new folder, preferably C:\HJT. Run the scan and save the log file. PM or e-mail me the log at aph"at"swissinfo"dot"org.
This will allow me to see if anything is running that shouldn't be.
Will do. Good thing it fits on a diskette. ;)

Here's that article from the newspaper...

Computer doctor is in the house

For many who don't understand computers, or who don't have the time to solve problems, repairs by the pros can be a lifesaver

By Rhasheema A. Sweeting

Tribune staff reporter
Published July 10, 2004

Peter Fleischer thought he had mastered the art of wireless networking. But after spending hours one day swimming in instruction manuals while trying to wirelessly tie five PCs together, he realized his limits.

He even lost his connection to the Internet. So he called the geeks for help.

"It should be so easy," he said. "But it's not, even for someone who knows a lot. Anytime I think I'm a geek, I talk to [an expert] and I don't know anything."

Indeed, more people are realizing that they don't have to waste a day fighting with a computer when someone else can come to the house to solve the problem

The geeks are happy to oblige. They make house calls by appointment and perform computer-related tasks ranging from setting up a wireless network to removing malicious software that can track credit card numbers.

And customers love the geeks. In fact, the Geek Squad has made two trips to Fleischer's Oak Park home.

Last week, Joey Jasion, dressed in a black clip-on tie, white collared shirt and black polyester pants, came to the rescue with what some would call divine intervention. Jasion brought his bible--a zippered CD case with a collection of operating system disks, drivers and utilities.

Within an hour, he established and secured the Fleischers' wireless network, preventing others in the neighborhood from tapping into the connection. Jasion installed a wireless card on Fleischer's laptop so he could access the Internet from the backyard.

On top of that, Jasion ran utility programs to detect spyware and adware and showed Fleischer's two daughters, Claire, 11, and Emma, 8, how to keep their computers' software updates current.

"We went through my checklist in less than an hour," said Fleischer, who prefers to pay for the convenience of a geek rather than fix it himself. "I'm satisfied."

This year about $4.5 billion will be spent on personal computers and laptops, according to Gartner, a technology research company. But because the home repair business is relatively new, and comprises many small, independent firms, figures for the industry are not tracked.

Once the domain of a trusted family member or a kind neighbor, the geek business is also going corporate, as chains like Best Buy, Circuit City and CompUSA are starting to offer in-home services. Additionally, some business-minded techies are starting their own shops or opening a franchised business, like Geeks On Call.

Costs for the services vary. HomeTech Computer Solutions in Chicago charges an hourly fee of $95 while Best Buy's Geek Squad service offers a flat fee starting at $129.

"Geek service is going to reawaken the days when doctors made house calls," said Robert Stephens, who founded Geek Squad in Minneapolis before selling it to Best Buy two years ago. "It's gonna be easier than ordering pizza."

While the professional geeks find that some customers have a basic knowledge of computers, many are novices.

"People are really frustrated when they call the big [computer and software] companies and they don't get the service they need," said Bill Weingarten, president of HomeTech. "Most people don't know too much about computers. And home computer systems are getting more complicated."

Weingarten started his company from a larger corporate computer service, Garden Software Inc. three years ago after his business customers asked about home service. Now Weingarten focuses on the residential market and has about 2,000 customers across Chicago and the suburbs, he said.

"And it's gonna keep going in that direction," said Weingarten, noting that there has been an increase in demand and competition over the past few years.

For home computer users, having a geek on call can ease the pain of trying to fix problems on their own.

Brian Bussey recently spent six hours on the phone with tech support trying to fix his Dell desktop computer. And after being switched back and forth among several technicians, he still couldn't fix the problem.

Instead, he called HomeTech to troubleshoot his machine. The problem, he discovered, was caused by several computer viruses.

"Computers have gotten pretty complicated," said Bussey, 42, who has used computers for the past decade to manage his small business. "If I had the time, I could keep up with it. But I just rely on the professionals."

This week, Bussey again called HomeTech to help set up his wireless network in his Evanston home and scan his two computers for viruses and spyware.

"I could have spent a week" on it, he said. "But they saved me."

- - -

Top service requests

- Install a wireless network

- Remove spyware, adware and viruses

- Network multiple computers for file and printer sharing

- Perform data recovery and migration of software to new computers

- Install security tools to protect against Internet vandalism

Copyright © 2004, Chicago Tribune

Got your HJT log file and it looks good - no malware running which, in this day and age, is almost surprising.
I do see a reference to an AT&T Plug & Share 54Mbps wireless adapter - was this previously installed and removed but the software not un-installed? The component that monitors the wireless lan connection for this adapter is still running.
There is also a similar component running to monitor a Netgear WG121 adapter. Is this the currently installed one?

lemansnsx said:
Don't recall this being mentioned so it is worth a shot. Try downloading this little fix for the winsock keys.
Tried it. Didn't work.

lemansnsx said:
Got your HJT log file and it looks good - no malware running which, in this day and age, is almost surprising.
I do see a reference to an AT&T Plug & Share 54Mbps wireless adapter - was this previously installed and removed but the software not un-installed? The component that monitors the wireless lan connection for this adapter is still running.
There is also a similar component running to monitor a Netgear WG121 adapter. Is this the currently installed one?
The AT&T is the PCI card.

The Netgear adapter was removed and I hit "uninstall" in device manager. What else do I need to do to remove it?

Any vestige of the Linksys adapter running?

nsxtasy said:
Tried it. Didn't work.

The AT&T is the PCI card.

The Netgear adapter was removed and I hit "uninstall" in device manager. What else do I need to do to remove it?

Any vestige of the Linksys adapter running?

Nothing running for Linksys as far as a service or software program. Doesn't mean that there aren't remnants in the registry and files left behind but they are probably not harming anything.

For the Netgear you need to go to Control Panel - Add or Remove Programs - find Netgear on the list and un-install it. If that doesn't work see if there is an un-install on the CD that came with the Netgear adapter or browse their support site for instructions on removing it.

One trick to clean up any left-over hardware that might be lingering in the registry and so on is to boot up in safe mode (F8) and go to control panel - system - hardware - device manager and see if anything shows on that list that you know is no longer present or shows up duplicated. Remove any duplicates or items for things that are not present any longer. Do NOT remove duplicates under system devices heading.

Have you ever noted the results for connectivity for your wife's pc when YOUR pc is powered down? Just curious if it has any impact at all.

Edit: sorry if this re-hashes something that we covered earlier in the thread. Have you gone through Internet Explorer - Tools - Internet Options - LAN Settings - and made sure "automatically detect settings" is checked?

Second edit: the more I've thought about this the more I conclude that if this was my machine I would have either:

1. Installed repair console and done a repair install of XP.
or...
2. Wiped the machine and started fresh.

You are far from the first to experience this type of annoying network problem and, often, nuking and re-installing is the easiest solution.

Last edited:
lemansnsx said:
For the Netgear you need to go to Control Panel - Add or Remove Programs - find Netgear on the list and un-install it. If that doesn't work see if there is an un-install on the CD that came with the Netgear adapter or browse their support site for instructions on removing it.
Done.

lemansnsx said:
One trick to clean up any left-over hardware that might be lingering in the registry and so on is to boot up in safe mode (F8) and go to control panel - system - hardware - device manager and see if anything shows on that list that you know is no longer present or shows up duplicated. Remove any duplicates or items for things that are not present any longer. Do NOT remove duplicates under system devices heading.
Nothing needs removal.

lemansnsx said:
Have you ever noted the results for connectivity for your wife's pc when YOUR pc is powered down?
Yes. Same thing occurs.

lemansnsx said:
Have you gone through Internet Explorer - Tools - Internet Options - LAN Settings - and made sure "automatically detect settings" is checked?
Yes. It is.

lemansnsx said:
Second edit: the more I've thought about this the more I conclude that if this was my machine I would have either:

1. Installed repair console and done a repair install of XP.
or...
2. Wiped the machine and started fresh.

You are far from the first to experience this type of annoying network problem and, often, nuking and re-installing is the easiest solution.
I agree. I plan on doing this next after trying the hard wiring option when the cable arrives. (If the hard wiring works - which I doubt that it will, but it might - then I might try replacing the router.)

How do I install a repair console and do a repair install of XP?

I assumed I would just re-install XP from the CD-ROM, and then try it.

What are the chances of losing data files if I do that? (Most, but not all, of the files are backed up on the other PC, and I can back up any others if needed.)

By "wipe the machine" I assume you mean to reformat the c: drive and then re-install not just XP, but ALL the applications on the machine.

I assumed I would just re-install XP from the CD-ROM, and then try it.

See comments above.

nsxtasy said:
What are the chances of losing data files if I do that? (Most, but not all, of the files are backed up on the other PC, and I can back up any others if needed.)

See the following Microsoft Knowledge Base Article: You May Lose Data or Program Settings After Reinstalling, Repairing, or Upgrading Windows XP

nsxtasy said:
By "wipe the machine" I assume you mean to reformat the c: drive and then re-install not just XP, but ALL the applications on the machine.

Yes. Referred to as a "clean" install. Your Dell restore disks will do this and it should be automatic. You then have to re-install Service Pack 1a and all of the other security patches, critical updates, etc, issued since SP1a was released. As mentioned before, the easiest way to do this is from a CD copy of Autopatcher - which was last updated in mid-May so there are a few updates not included. This is probably about 4 hours of work to get back to "square 1".

lemansnsx said:
I believe that you have a Dell
That's correct.

lemansnsx said:
Please take a look at your C: drive and tell me if you have a folder "i386" probably located within the Windows folder and if it contains a file named WINNT.EXE.
That folder is in the root directory and it does indeed contain that file.

I assume the procedure is to back up any critical files not already backed up, and then run that program...?

Do you think it's still worth it to try connecting the computer via hard wire first? (I expect the cable to arrive around Tuesday.)

nsxtasy said:
Do you think it's still worth it to try connecting the computer via hard wire first? (I expect the cable to arrive around Tuesday.)

Sure, why not? You've waited this long! :D

As for the re-install, yes, you are correct. You run that file from within Windows. You should get to a screen that shows you the existing Windows installation or the option to create a new install. Select the current installation.

Oh, one tip if you don't want to have to re-activate XP by calling Microsoft: go to your Windows\System32 folder. Copy wpa.dbl and wpa.bak (if found) to a floppy disk. After re-installing XP boot up in minimal safe mode (F8) and replace the new wpa.dbl with the copy from the floppy disk. The wpa.bak file may or may not be there - it doesn't matter.

I'm running out of options. My remaining ones are:

I'm quite surprised you have not done this long ago. Within a few days, you will have been through this ordeal for one month and only now do you mention a tech guy coming to fix your problem. My patience level is such that after two or three days of monkeying around, I am picking up the phone.....got better things to do than to further enflame the frustration. :)

AndyVecsey said:
I'm quite surprised you have not done this long ago. Within a few days, you will have been through this ordeal for one month and only now do you mention a tech guy coming to fix your problem. My patience level is such that after two or three days of monkeying around, I am picking up the phone.....got better things to do than to further enflame the frustration. :)

See my previous comments on this subject. I'd almost bet money that 99 out of 100 techs would have gone through exactly what Ken has done - replacing one piece of the "chain" at a time with no result until finally either giving up in disgust or wiping the system and reloading Windows. Which wouldn't get done properly...:rolleyes:

The other thing to realize (in addition to lemansnsx's point) is that, at any point in time, the possibility existed that the next step would solve the problem. The process of analyzing the problem goes one step at a time - you try the things that are easiest and/or most likely, and when one doesn't work, you try the next one.

If it could be known with certainty at the start that it would require re-installing the operating system, I would have started there.

nsxtasy said:
If it could be known with certainty at the start that it would require re-installing the operating system, I would have started there.

Unfortunately where computers are concerned there are almost no "sure things". Wiping and restoring is about as close as you can get however.

lemansnsx said:
Unfortunately where computers are concerned there are almost no "sure things". Wiping and restoring is about as close as you can get however.
Yes, but it also is a time-consuming and risky task - not just in terms of restoring the computer to a working configuration, but also in terms of the work to prepare for it (copying / backing up files, etc), the possibility of losing data and/or programs, and the possibility that something goes wrong in the restoration creating other, new issues that you have to deal with.

That's why it's the last resort, not the first thing to try.

lemansnsx said:
You run that file from within Windows. You should get to a screen that shows you the existing Windows installation or the option to create a new install. Select the current installation.
It won't give me that option, and will only allow a new installation. Here's why:

wNDk0NDY2NnM0MTNkZmQzMXk1NDE%3D.jpg

Easiest thing that comes to mind is to copy the entire I386 folder from a working CD of Windows XP (make sure same version - Home or Pro) to your hard drive.
Is the I386 folder accessible on your Dell restore disk? I don't have one handy to check, some restore disks have it, some use compressed images where you can't look at individual folders.

I'm assuming that you've checked the I386 folder on your hard drive to see if that file is present?

You could try booting from a DOS or Windows 98 type of boot disk - which you can easily find on the web if you don't have one and then at a DOS prompt type "cd\windows\i386" then "winnt" and provide the path c:\windows\i386 or whatever is correct to point it to the install files. This assumes that your drive was formatted FAT32 not NTFS - NTFS partition not accessible in DOS.

I did an upgrade installation of XP using the Dell resource CD. It completed successfully but the problem persisted.

Then I did a new installation of XP using the Dell resource CD. It also completed successfully. My data files are still there. My applications no longer work because the registry entries are gone; I assume I can fix that by re-installing all the apps.

However, I have another problem that I'm not sure how to deal with. Neither of my network cards (the NIC I already had or the wireless card I recently installed) are showing up on Device Manager, so of course I have no network connection. And they don't show up when I try using the "add hardware" function from the control panel. Suggestions?

Back