• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Wireless Networking Gurus, I Need HELP!!!

nsxtasy said:
However, I have another problem that I'm not sure how to deal with. Neither of my network cards (the NIC I already had or the wireless card I recently installed) are showing up on Device Manager, so of course I have no network connection. And they don't show up when I try using the "add hardware" function from the control panel. Suggestions?
Do you have any items in Device Manager listed as "Other Device" or "Unknown Device" (with a yellow question mark next to them)? If so, you have to reinstall the drivers for the network card and the USB wireless adapter, either from what the manufacturer provided or Windows Update.

Well, I formatted my hard drive and started over from scratch. And... it now appears that the problem was in the router. The router worked fine for direct connections, and it made wireless connections look like they were working fine, but they weren't.

I thought it wasn't, before, because I tried bypassing the router and hard wiring the remote computer to the DSL modem, and that didn't work. But now that I think of it, the reason it didn't work is probably because I didn't switch the login protocol over to PPPoE, which is what the DSL modem expects (but is accommodated in the router software).

The semi good news now is that I have replaced the router, and the remote computer is now accessing the internet.

I still have one remaining problem. The network connection isn't recognized when the remote computer first boots up - but if you disable and then re-enable it, it's recognized. Klugey, but it works. If anyone knows how to prevent it, I'm all ears.

Thanks again to all for the help and advice.

Incidentally, I have kept meticulous records of all the steps I went through to rebuild the computer, so I could do it again with my eyes closed...

Last edited:
nsxtasy said:
I still have one remaining problem. The network connection isn't recognized when the remote computer first boots up - but if you disable and then re-enable it, it's recognized. Klugey, but it works. If anyone knows how to prevent it, I'm all ears.
Do you mean the network card/adapter itself isn't recognized by the system, or that it doesn't connect to the wireless network after logging into Windows? How much time are you allowing for Windows to load the drivers and establish a connection, before you disable & re-enable it?

FYI, Windows XP has been optimized to boot up quickly, so that it only loads critical drivers before giving you access to the desktop. You may have to wait a while for the remaining drivers and programs to load before you can use them. Sometimes even after Windows indicates a network is established, you have to wait a little bit for the NIC to get an IP address. If you're impatient, open a command prompt and type the ipconfig /renew command to force it to obtain an IP. Or just use the ipconfig command to see the status of the network connection. If it hangs, it usually means it's trying to get an IP address.

If I'm not understanding your problem correctly, please restate. Thanks.

PHOEN$X said:
Do you mean the network card/adapter itself isn't recognized by the system, or that it doesn't connect to the wireless network after logging into Windows?
What I mean is, the system recognizes the network card - the connection is shown as "enabled" - and it recognizes the connection to the wireless network, with a 54 MBps connect speed. But IE will not bring up any websites, claiming that there is no internet connection present.

PHOEN$X said:
How much time are you allowing for Windows to load the drivers and establish a connection, before you disable & re-enable it?
I just allowed five full minutes, starting at the point when the computer looked fully booted (all icons in the taskbar, no hourglass, and no visible changes). At the end of those five minutes, I opened IE and it would not bring up any websites. I disabled and enabled the wireless connection, and Voila! IE was fully functional.

nsxtasy said:
I just allowed five full minutes
1. You are a patient guy.
2. Something ain't right with your PC and/or wireless network setup.

Wish I could be more helpful, but I'm more of a "hands-on" type person when it comes to troubleshooting computers. :(

Back