• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Working Out The "New Car" Kinks: Some Questions

Its been 3 weeks living with my NSX. I've enjoyed every mile behind the seat. However, I thought I would ask a few questions about the car. I've done the usual search on my issues, but would like some difinitve answers on some tidbits. For all: 1993 NSX/28,750 miles

1) I've had the "surging" issue on acceleration. Full throttle in 1st and 2nd it's most apparent. At about 2500-3000 RPM the car basically stops accelerating then gets going again. A search of the forums told me to begin with the throttle body cleaning. I brought the car to my mechanic. We removed the airbox and cleaned it (throttle body) out. There was not too much carbon build up. The fix did nothing to stop the surging. Should I go for the fuel filter next or should I also order new spark plugs as well. I've read about the gapping issues with the spark plugs. What kind of tool do I need to ask my mechanic if he has in order to gap the plugs? One last thing: I'd like to do the BG injector service...good idea?

2) Oil: I'm on the fence about switching to fully synthetic. The last oil change was done 1,000 miles ago with typcial Honda spec oil. Some mechanics of mine over the years (worked on my 1987 Toyota Supra Turbo, Saab 900SPG, BMW 330i, etc etc) have said there is a chance that switching to synthetic will cause you to start burning oil because the head gasket must adjust to viscosity of the synthetic oil. I definately DON'T want this to occur. Royal purple would be my oil of choice. I've gotten used to the verstility of sythetics and it just feels different using conventional motor oil.

3) CD changer: I put the CD's in, switch to the CD mode...and nothing. It won't let me switich between CD's or even begin to play the CD. I do get the CD screen, but it simply reads CD 00. I plan on keeping my car completely stock. Do I need to put in all 6 cd's for it to work? Are there any connections that might have come undone I should look out for?

4) Shifting: Why can't I skip a gear? Is this just on upshifts or downshifts as well? I've never heard of such a thing. In all my cars, no matter what year, I've always skipped gears when slowing down to use the tranny to slow the car down. I've read, however, this is a transmission killer on our cars. I am a double clutcher.

Other than that, I'm overwhelmed by the superior build quality of the car. I love everything about it. I'm convinced they don't build them like this any more, that this is truly a driver's car that hit production at the perfect time. Not a hoard of electronics driving the car for me...just man and machine. Just right.

I have developed a comlex however. I'm afraid to "over use" things like the windows, antenna, clutch, etc with a fear that they will break. I want this car to work and feel like new forever.

Last edited:
Glad you're enjoying the new ride!

3) CD changer: I put the CD's in, switch to the CD mode...and nothing. It won't let me switich between CD's or even begin to play the CD. I do get the CD screen, but it simply reads CD 00. I plan on keeping my car completely stock. Do I need to put in all 6 cd's for it to work? No Are there any connections that might have come undone I should look out for? The one behind the radio, one behind the driver's seat, one on the driver's side of the trunk and one directly attached to the CD changer

4) Shifting: Why can't I skip a gear? Is this just on upshifts or downshifts as well? I've never heard of such a thing. In all my cars, no matter what year, I've always skipped gears when slowing down to use the tranny to slow the car down. I've read, however, this is a transmission killer on our cars. I am a double clutcher. http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=74757&highlight=skip+shift

I have developed a comlex however. I'm afraid to "over use" things like the windows, antenna, clutch, etc with a fear that they will break. I want this car to work and feel like new forever. Drive it!! It's a Honda!! :smile:

Congrats on the new car and enjoying it. I'll try to answer some of your questions.

1) If the original plugs and fuel filter are in the car it's probably time to change them. I'd also add a bottle of injector cleaner with your next fill-up.

2) I've been putting Mobil 1 in my NSX for 10 years and there has never been one drop of oil left on my garage floor. These cars are not big on oil consumption unless there is something seriously wrong with the motor. I'd have no hesitation making the switch.

3) I know this may sound stupid, but are the CD's loaded correctly and not upside down? It may also be that the changer just cr@pped out on you. If so, it's probably better to install a iPod adapter and leave the cd's at home.

4) If you've already read about the controversey of this, then just do what you want. I've always blipped the throttle between downshifts and I don't skip gears on upshifts and my '94 NSX is still on the original clutch with 73,xxx miles.

For the most part these cars are bullet proof, however there are some issues that do develop just like any other car on the road.

Dont know about the rest as I dont own a NSX (yet :tongue:), but to question #4 I would respond with:

4. you should definitely rev-match when you go to a lower gear. skipping gears can be bad if you dont match the revs. it's easier for me to rev match to the adjacent gear, rather than 2 gears up or down.
Also consider this: the brakes pads are considered "wearable parts", ie they are designed to wear out....would you rather replace your transmission or your brake pads?

2) Oil: I'm on the fence about switching to fully synthetic. The last oil change was done 1,000 miles ago with typcial Honda spec oil. Some mechanics of mine over the years (worked on my 1987 Toyota Supra Turbo, Saab 900SPG, BMW 330i, etc etc) have said there is a chance that switching to synthetic will cause you to start burning oil because the head gasket must adjust to viscosity of the synthetic oil. I definately DON'T want this to occur. Royal purple would be my oil of choice. I've gotten used to the verstility of sythetics and it just feels different using conventional motor oil.

3) CD changer: I put the CD's in, switch to the CD mode...and nothing. It won't let me switich between CD's or even begin to play the CD. I do get the CD screen, but it simply reads CD 00. I plan on keeping my car completely stock. Do I need to put in all 6 cd's for it to work? Are there any connections that might have come undone I should look out for?

4) Shifting: Why can't I skip a gear? Is this just on upshifts or downshifts as well? I've never heard of such a thing. In all my cars, no matter what year, I've always skipped gears when slowing down to use the tranny to slow the car down. I've read, however, this is a transmission killer on our cars. I am a double clutcher.

#Dont know much about oil but do know make sure it is for long life. for example i am running redline gear oil as it makes the shifts easier and is really used as a track oil and my nsx always seems to be at 4k even crusing (maybe i should slow down doing 4k on the freeway) but anyways, the redline oil for the motor is not a good daily oil. People have told me unless you change it very frequently, it is not good as it does have very good temp ranges for when you track the car and hold its viscosity, but lacks the stuff other oils have to keep the car going strong years to come. Like i said, i dont know much about royal purple but I have been using castrol syntec in black bottle for years and its been great. Also yea, syn oil burns faster. People wont say it does but it really does. On this car it shouldnt burn anyways, but it will over time i would say. Case and point my last car, 06 z, notorious for burning oil, burned 1 ct every 1k miles. When i did test on syn oil, i was buring 1 ct every 1k miles. On conventional it was about 1 ct every 1300 miles. The engine was bad but you can see that what ever the problem, it did burn more as the mechanics at nissan supposidly said it blows out the pistons. I dont care what the reason but it got me the nsx.

3. You could just use the ipod hook up or get a new cd changer. Have you hit the program button as that changes cd, or maybe they are upside down. Weird it reads that it is online but 00 cds, very possible there upside down. one of my blank cds was and it didn't read.

4. If you are going to skip gears, just rev match. try that. there really is no reason though. You have a 5 speed, so in 5th just down shift to 4 and if you really have to 3 then use the brakes. On mine (6 speed) i only go down 2 gears or so. 4th gear on streets to 2nd when turning and 6th to 4th when comming off freeway then neutral and using the brake till i stop.

#1. Listen to LarryB. He is regarded as one of the top few NSX experts in the U.S.

#2. I think you will find most people run fully synthetic. What you need to balance out is the risk of the issue you're talking about (which I must say I haven't heard before) against the benefits of a fully synthetic oil. From what I have heard Redline is for track specific applications and can become slightly acidic if not used in that manner. I've used RP before and believe it to be top notch based on what I've heard/read, but recently switched to Mobil 1 as I am tracking the car and changing the oil very frequently. I'm not sure the RP is demonstrably better than changing Mobil 1 much more frequently, and it is more costly.

#3. No idea, sounds like maybe an issue with the changer?

#4. Skip shifting puts extra wear on the synchros. Acura has issued a service bulletin to their mechanics to be aware of customers who skip shift as it may be accelerating the wear on the synchros. If you are double clutching, this should eliminate the issue. If you're rev matching, it should also reduce clutch wear as well as eliminate the synchro issue.

#5. You bought the car to drive it. Now get out there and do it!! Our time is short here in the Northeast. :)

What they said except for one thing:
please don't downshift to slow your car down, that's what brakes are for. Even w/ perfectly executed, double-clutched, rev-matched downshifts, it's just unnecessary wear on your clutch and transmission. There is only one reason to down-shift a sportscar: that is to put the car in the right gear for exit from the next turn. Critical on the race track, usually superfluous on the street.
Unless you're driving a truck down a steep grade, engine braking just isn't necessary.

Thanks all. Most of you seem to be on the same page regarding my questions, so I'll stick with the majority. Most of my cars have been leases and I've put little concern into longevity of the tranny...it has given me great practice with my double clutching and rev matching however.

Since none of you have experienced a problem with switching to sythetic, I'll take the plunge. Most oils out there are great, but I still feel royal purple is my choice as there have been few complaints and I think the extra money spent is worthwhile.

So what's the consensus about tranny oil? What do most of you use? What's the gold standard of tranny oil for the NSX?

Finally, today I said "the hell with it" and drove the car like I stole it. My fears of everything breaking were quickly set aside and the car turned from quirky daily driver to an outstanding machine. I'm simply amazed at how much this car is like two-cars-in-one....pre VTEC and VTEC.

Doc Honda, you have racing experience? Your opinions are those of some highly regarded race drivers I've known throughout the years. Good stuff! F1 fan?

The "gold standard" of tranny oil for the NSX is the Honda "White Cap" transmission fluid. LarryB recently changed mine and it shifts like butter. :)

The "gold standard" of tranny oil for the NSX is the Honda "White Cap" transmission fluid. LarryB recently changed mine and it shifts like butter. :)

Is this the brand name, or is this a type of Honda Tranny fluid. Do I ask for "white cap" Honda tranny fuild? Where can I go to get this....thanks! I'm gunna have it done soon.

It is available through your Honda/Acura dealer. It is called white cap because it comes with a white cap, as opposed to the earlier version which came with a different colored cap. It has an official name which I don't know offhand but can be found on Prime with a little searching. From what I've read on Prime, you will definitely feel a difference in the transmission after doing the change.

I switched to fully synthetic on the advice of an experienced nsx mechanic, Car Doctor, in Falls Church, VA. I switched a month ago and haven't leaked a drop. My car had 24K miles at the time.

Unless you're driving a truck down a steep grade, engine braking just isn't necessary.

I have to disagree. It is important for any vehicle to take advantage of engine braking on long descents. Riding the brakes on long descents can lead to fluid boiling and brake failure.

I do agree, however, that slowing the car by downshifting is not a good practice.

Doc Honda, you have racing experience? Your opinions are those of some highly regarded race drivers I've known throughout the years. Good stuff! F1 fan?

I've been racing in the Skip Barber Regional race series for 3 years. I do some instructing at HPDE's from time to time. Go-karts as often as I can. Huge F1 fan for about 10 years, BAR Honda>factory Honda>now Brawn GP. Been a fan of JB for years, great to see his success this year!:biggrin:

I have to disagree. It is important for any vehicle to take advantage of engine braking on long descents. Riding the brakes on long descents can lead to fluid boiling and brake failure.

I do agree, however, that slowing the car by downshifting is not a good practice.

You are supposed to brake and release as you decend a hill and not drag your brakes all the way down. Engines are design to accellerate not decellerate for longevity. They will decellerate but it just isn't a healthy habit. Owner's manuals refer to using engine braking for safety reason's for the general public not engine life.

I agree with Dr. Honda and have been taught this principle by various experts for over 40 years. Just my $0.02.

Tytus

Back