• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Would you be leery of a NSX w/ only 1K miles yet 2 owners and sold twice at auction?

I think I may know the answer to my own question, but the current NSX I am looking at is a 2001 with less than 1,000 miles. I pulled the carfax and was shocked to see so much activity. It sold new just over a year ago and has had two different owners in the same metropolitan area, then was sold at an Eastern Region auction. It then showed up as inventory on a dealer lot on the other side of the country 6 months later, then sold at auction again and now resides in another dealer's inventory. To sum it up, it has had two different owners, been sold twice at auction, and has been for sale on two different dealer lots all in less than 1 year. I'm very suspicious of the car even though I have had body shop expert take a look and told me it looked 100%. What concerns me is the car is well traveled for so few miles. I'm leaning towards not buying it, any thoughts out there?

[This message has been edited by Imola (edited 22 March 2003).]

A couple of points to consider:

1. It should still have the factory warranty for another two years, so mechanical issues shouldn't be a concern.

2. Your best comparison is against a brand new one with a clean history.

It actually has almost 3 years of warranty left. My bigger concern is that I plan on keeping it for a few years or so and am concerned this will be hindering point on selling just as it currently is.

If the car checks out and is a good deal - who cares? Our dealer does not like taking an NSX in because they are so hard to sell. Many dealers have difficulting moving them and "flip" them to other dealers to get rid of hard to move cars.

Good luck.

------------------
Nick M

91' Red/Black with Many Mods
99' Honda Odyssey with Many Kids

Originally posted by Imola:
My bigger concern is that I plan on keeping it for a few years or so

Not like your last one, huh?

and am concerned this will be hindering point on selling just as it currently is.

If you take care of the car over the course of the next few years, the fact that it had a couple of previous owners and quick changes in ownership shouldn't matter.

Originally posted by nsxtasy:
Not like your last one, huh?

No hopefully never like my last one. I actually called the buyer of my Imola a few weeks ago to try and buy it back. He stated he hadn't driven it all winter and was looking forward to enjoying it now that the weather was changing. I do regret selling my Imola and think of it often.

also, dont forget the fact that we are in a major recession so people are loosing their jobs daily.

so i am sure that if someone lost their jobs, the first thing to go is their car
frown.gif

The other issue I am having is that I can't decide on a color to replace my Imola. It was such a unique color and was the only one with black interior. I am wavering between white, black, yellow and blue. All have their pro's and con's but none are as unique as the Imola. I'm trying to do it right this time and keep my car for a few years. I very much like the unique colors such as the Midnight Pearl, Brooklands Green, Monaco Blue and of course the Imola. Unfortunately the Monaco and the Imola are the only colors of the 3.2L vintage.

Have you finally figured out that I am a little "Loco" when it comes to my cars or did you already know?

Why don't you test drive it. I remeber like year or so that one of the members said that his 2000 or 2001 nsx had this problem with the powersteering. It could be one of the faulty cars. Also seeing that to replace this would cost alot they probably just sold it to someone else quickly.

I just felt like telling you to help you out on your decision.

Originally posted by Midnight_Raven:
I remeber like year or so that one of the members said that his 2000 or 2001 nsx had this problem with the powersteering. It could be one of the faulty cars. Also seeing that to replace this would cost alot they probably just sold it to someone else quickly.

This kind of issue would be covered by warranty.

I very much like the unique colors such as the Midnight Pearl, Brooklands Green, Monaco Blue and of course the Imola. Unfortunately the Monaco and the Imola are the only colors of the 3.2L vintage.

Only colors of those four, yes. But there are other unique colors that are specific to the 3.2-liter vintage, including Monte Carlo Blue, the similar Long Beach Blue, Kaiser Silver, the similar Silverstone Silver, and Spa Yellow.

But there are other unique colors that are specific to the 3.2-liter vintage, including Monte Carlo Blue, the similar Long Beach Blue, Kaiser Silver, the similar Silverstone Silver, and Spa Yellow.

I'm quite familiar with those colors as well. Monte Carlo Blue is nice, but I don't care for Long Beach Blue. Kaiser Silver is in my opinion a dead color on the NSX. It doesn't seem to have any life at all. The Silverstone is better. As for Spa Yellow, it seems to be quite a common color for sale these days and I'm not sure I see myself driving this color.

I don't understand this at all. Those two colors are virtually identical.
confused.gif

They aren't at all. I have seen them side by side and the Monte Carlo is much nicer with more depth. The Long Beach Blue is much more harsh. They may appear this way via pictures, but not in person.

I have seen both of them in person too (although not side by side). I have no idea what you're talking about. They look identical. Both are a deep, rich blue - and a true blue, not a purplish blue like Monaco Blue.

They look identical. Both are a deep, rich blue - and a true blue, not a purplish blue like Monaco Blue.

NSXTASY...You just described over 30 different blue swatches at your local Kelly Moore Paint store. Blues may look very similiar apart, but put them together and they have very different characteristics especially if seen in the sunlight. I realize you may not be as particular as I am when it comes to aesthetics, but these two blues are different. I'm sure to some, (including yourself), they seem like they are pretty much the same color, but in my opinion, they are not.

The science of color is actually quite complex, and in many cases two colors which appear quite similiar may have very different characteristics and variations, depending on the lighting conditions they are viewed in.

I'm partial to Spa Yellow because it is the color I love on my own NSX. However, get the Monaco Blue or any other blue you like because it is now and it will be more so in the future the "in" color to have. Blue will be as popular in the next few years as Silver and other colors have been in the past. I don't care about what's "in" or "out" but I understand that most people do, and if you care about resale value (by your post) then get the blue one.

Originally posted by 1HOT NSX:
if you care about resale value (by your post) then get

...whatever you want.

I've been following NSX prices for over twelve years. I have not seen any color consistently account for a significant premium in price. The only color which generally sold at a discount when new (Midnight Pearl, '95-96) does not consistently sell at a discount when used.

I know the car's no longer available...

But in response to the original question--I would be leery of the car, even with a warranty. There are enough other NSXs for sale; I'd probably keep looking if it were me.

And as long as we're on the subject of color--I just recently saw an imola orange NSX up close for the first time and I think it's a great color, even better than I thought it was from pics.

Imola: "Blues may look very similiar apart, but put them together and they have very different characteristics especially if seen in the sunlight. "

This is absolutely true, those are definitely two completely different color, especially in direct sunlight.
I have seen them in person because I planned to purchase blue NSX in the past.

Monte Carlo Blue is the best blue in NSX, based on what Lud said and what I have seen in person, too bad most of those Blue NSXs were damaged or in worst condition.

------------------
--
'94 NSX Brooklands Green Pearl/ Onyx
- GruppeM Intake & Exhaust V.3
'01 M3 Laguna Seca Blue/ Grey
'03 MDX Starlight Silver/Ebony
- 260 HP -> VROOM VROOM
'93 300SE MBZ

I see the difference between Longbeach and Monte Carlo blue. Personally, I prefer the Longbeach, but I can see how it would be a more contraversial color. The Longbeach is a "louder", less refined color. It's a little more like an aftermarket color and it's flashier.

I had always liked the Monte Carlo blue, but seeing the Longbeach blue in person is part of what made me decide to upgrade to the 03. Color selection is always a really personal thing though...

Originally posted by spookyp:
The Longbeach is a "louder", less refined color. It's a little more like an aftermarket color and it's flashier.

Color selection is always a really personal thing though...

No question, color is most definitely a personal thing. I'm not knocking anyone's choice of a color, just trying to make a statement in response to NSXTASY's comment about them being identical. Long Beach Blue is still a great color for an NSX, just not quite the color blue I'm looking for. I'll have to admit, I sure wish I wasn't so particular!

[This message has been edited by Imola (edited 24 March 2003).]

Back