• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Would you sell your Turbo NSX to get a Nissan R35 GTR??

I've owned my 92 NSX for about 2 years now and it's been turbo'd for last 10 months. My question to the prime community is would you sell your NSX for a R35 GTR. I've had this discussion with friends over the last few weeks and they are trying to convince me not to sell. Saying the NSX is a more desirable car due to its rarity......but the allure of the R35 has me awake at night. Lets compare!

They build 25 GT-Rs a day, every day. At this rate they have already, in a few short years, sold more R35s than there are NSX out there.

Plus, no manual transmission is a deal breaker for me personally.

I wouldn't but the previous owner of my car did just that. Granted my car is not turbo, it's supercharged but a parallel can be made. Here are my thoughts:

Pros -
Easier to make fast
Turn key speed versus NA-T platform
Newer car

Cons -
Looks
Automatic

To me the deal breaker is the auto but if speed is what you are after the GTR is a much better platform.

No. I would however, sell my left testicle to be able to afford a turbo setup for my NSX :)

Honestly though, if you have that much an itch to own a GTR, then buy one. You only live once, right?

Last edited:
Sure, if you want the GT-R instead of the NSX, buy the GT-R. While a NSX is rare, it isn't that rare and you should be able to track down another 1992 NSX without that much of a headache in the price range that you are talking about for GTRs.

I would certainly drive the GT-R first though.

No not at all. I enjoy shifting and the experience if the car. I owned a low 10 second car and speed isn't everything. Last car show I went to there was 3 GTR's and I had the only Nsx. My SC does help but honestly a low 12 second car is not fast compared to what's out there. I didn't buy my Nsx to be fast

If you have that itch, then yes. And any other supercar. This gives one a chance to decide if/if not, they really miss the NSX. While some consider the GTR trans a deal breaker, I think it's phenomenal. After viewing the Alpha GTR make a few passes, yes I'd give the GTR a whirl, happily!

Hi,

a friend did sell his NA NSX for a GTR about 3 years ago and what he tells me now is that the GTR
is crazy fast and efficient, but that gets boring after 6 months... the car does almost everything on
its own...

well... i wouldn't do it

Nuno

I also have a turbo NSX and I think about it every day. I hate when people use the term automatic, it is so far from the truth. It does not have a power robbing torque converter. It is a twin clutch gearbox, and pretty much the sole reason that the GTR performs so well for its power and weight. It's almost impossible to beat its performance and practicality. Reliable consistent mid 10 second car with a few bolt ons. Many owners like their NSX because it is "exclusive". You might get the same experience in the GTR at first but they are becoming more and more common everyday. The GTR was never made to be an exclusive car so if you don't mind letting your ego shrink a bit I think you will be ok. Obviously they aren't going to sell like Nissan altimas but even cutting into a fair share of corvette, gt500, m3 and other high end mercedes/audi coupes could make for a good number of sales. Don't expect it to hold the value of an NSX, I'm still surprised how well they are doing now though. I know a lot of people think everyone that wants to switch to a GTR just wants a faster car, but I think there are a lot more reasons to buy a GTR than speed, at least for what I want in a car.

It's hard to justify spending an extra 60k on top of my car though. I genuinely love my turbo NSX. I just have to justify a GTR over buying another 30k dollar luxury sedan, and a 30k dollar boat.

Last edited:
No, considered and drove one before I got my car. And I just didn't 'feel' it. Not the speed, the intangibles and fun factor. But i would consider one in the future as an addition.

I know I will catch some heat for saying this but.... not all NSX's are the same, and in threads like this everyone says "would you trade an NSX for".... well some NSX's are $25K cars, and some are $80K cars. They are not the same car. They don't sell for the same price for a reason. I understand they share a lot of parts, but newer is newer. An NSX that is 20 years old is not the same as one that is 8 years old. One that has had 4 owners and 110K miles is not the same as one that has had one owner and 9K miles. Even something like a rare color can change the feeling of ownership of a car. Synth says he would not even trade his NA for a GTR. Well.... look at his car.... it's not exactly the same as a beat up 91 that just sold for 20K. His ownership experience, is ENTIRELY different.

I am just saying if we are going to compare cars, lets compare exact cars. Even on the other side, a low milage 2013 GTR is a decent amount different than a beat-on 2009 one with a slipping trans.

Seems like the threads start to boil down to "NSX versus the GTR", both are Japanese supercars, one has models that are 22 years old now.

If I had an older, less tight feeling, bit more worn out NSX, I would probably be MORE likely to make a switch than if I had Synth's car or 3.5LNSXR's car. There are some fairly significant differences between NSX's. Question then may become.... if you already have had the NSX experience, even if it is an older higher milage car, would you want to upgrade to a newer NSX like an NA2 02+, or would you want a GTR? I think that is a legit question. I'd probably go for the GTR, being I already had a close enough NSX experience. But I wouldn't trade mine for one, knowing if I just sell a few of my mods, I would need zero cash outlay to move into a brand new one.

HondaDreams, I think you have to spend some real time in a GTR, and do some soul searching to find out what the best answer is for you. It's different for every single person. If I change, it'll be be for the new NSX. A new GTR is not an improvement of experience compared to my car as it sits now. And I don't need to buy a new NSX when the hype is at it's peak. I can wait. Nissan, Audi, and Porsche won't all sit around and wait for the NSX to take their glory either. At least be happy with this... your car is depreciating very little while you sit and watch what happens in the market.

Last edited:
Had a GTR for 2 years and now with the NSX for the last 4 mos, and im not missing the GTR at all yet.
The GTR is NOT a very involving car - it doesnt need a good driver. - its missing that connected feel to the driver that the NSX has in spades .It was certainly a thrill to launch a few times, its stupid fast - and very quick out of the box on the track- even though it feels big and bulky. But i wasnt in any races and not taking home any prize money. I missed the control and connected feel.

And the sounds. The GTR's engine sounds like a giant blender. Not inspiring like the NSX.

The NSX has a much more direct, smooth and connected feel with fewer electonic nannies.

That being said, if you have an itch to own one - do it- Im just not so sure i would sell a special NSX to get one..

OP, as you may know some members on here have both cars. I have a 2003 NSX and a 2013 GTR and I would NOT sell the NSX if I had to get rid of one. To each his own and everyone has different desires or circumstances. To me the NSX makes me feel special when Im driving it. The GTR you have to drive it like you're on a race track. If I had to get rid of one, The GTR is first to go. I'm not trying to persuade you to keep your NSX, just stating for me that after 20+ years of age, the NSX still hold its own against Japan's latest and greatest. Many cars can be made to go fast, not many can be made to make you feel special.

OP, as you may know some members on here have both cars. I have a 2003 NSX and a 2013 GTR and I would NOT sell the NSX if I had to get rid of one. To each his own and everyone has different desires or circumstances. To me the NSX makes me feel special when Im driving it. The GTR you have to drive it like you're on a race track. If I had to get rid of one, The GTR is first to go. I'm not trying to persuade you to keep your NSX, just stating for me that after 20+ years of age, the NSX still hold its own against Japan's latest and greatest. Many cars can be made to go fast, not many can be made to make you feel special.

when are we going to get together? I really want to see both your cars.

No.
I use my car as a track tool and love the potential of it and the analog feel that no other car can give you. I have been able to make a few GTR owners wave me by at the track, that has made me think that my car can still compete out there while looking 10 times better.
No GTR for me. Now, Aventador....

-MSR

I know I will catch some heat for saying this but.... not all NSX's are the same, and in threads like this everyone says "would you trade an NSX for".... well some NSX's are $25K cars, and some are $80K cars. They are not the same car. They don't sell for the same price for a reason. I understand they share a lot of parts, but newer is newer. An NSX that is 20 years old is not the same as one that is 8 years old. One that has had 4 owners and 110K miles is not the same as one that has had one owner and 9K miles. Even something like a rare color can change the feeling of ownership of a car. Synth says he would not even trade his NA for a GTR. Well.... look at his car.... it's not exactly the same as a beat up 91 that just sold for 20K. His ownership experience, is ENTIRELY different.

I am just saying if we are going to compare cars, lets compare exact cars. Even on the other side, a low milage 2013 GTR is a decent amount different than a beat-on 2009 one with a slipping trans.

Seems like the threads start to boil down to "NSX versus the GTR", both are Japanese supercars, one has models that are 22 years old now.

If I had an older, less tight feeling, bit more worn out NSX, I would probably be MORE likely to make a switch than if I had Synth's car or 3.5LNSXR's car. There are some fairly significant differences between NSX's. Question then may become.... if you already have had the NSX experience, even if it is an older higher milage car, would you want to upgrade to a newer NSX like an NA2 02+, or would you want a GTR? I think that is a legit question. I'd probably go for the GTR, being I already had a close enough NSX experience. But I wouldn't trade mine for one, knowing if I just sell a few of my mods, I would need zero cash outlay to move into a brand new one.

HondaDreams, I think you have to spend some real time in a GTR, and do some soul searching to find out what the best answer is for you. It's different for every single person. If I change, it'll be be for the new NSX. A new GTR is not an improvement of experience compared to my car as it sits now. And I don't need to buy a new NSX when the hype is at it's peak. I can wait. Nissan, Audi, and Porsche won't all sit around and wait for the NSX to take their glory either. At least be happy with this... your car is depreciating very little while you sit and watch what happens in the market.

These threads that are created are no different than all your polls created. They're all for just discussion and fun.

When people are replying to this thread most are comparing their cars to a GTR, whether it be a newer nsx, or a little weathered one, turbo or not people are chiming in. Nsx's have a far vast condition variation than GTR's since they've been out for so long vs not so long. We're all assuming that we'd be trading for a good-excellent condition GTR.

With that said I wouldn't trade my car for any GTR. There's to much history, to much work, sweat, and heart breaks to just give up now. Sometimes it's not just about which is better in the end. It's about the story behind it and that's why I believe many wouldn't trade their car for even a better performing one.

These threads that are created are no different than all your polls created. They're all for just discussion and fun.

Yes, it is very different than a poll for fun. He is asking about his car versus a GTR, in this case a turbo one. He wasn't trying to make a generic NSX/GTR discussion. But some of the replies, which I was reffering to in my post, say "an NSX is XYZ compared to a GTR", and my point.... that not all NSX's are the same. So when you say "an NSX", it's just tough to make that comparison to a GTR, because NSX's can be very different. GTR's, I agree, are more alike than a car that dates back 22 years.

I am not talking about someone talking about their own NSX, the OP's NSX, or any particular NSX, I am just saying general statements saying "NSX" are just not very informative. That's all.

Last edited:
Yes, it is very different than a poll for fun. He is asking about his car versus a GTR, in this case a turbo one. He wasn't trying to make a generic NSX/GTR discussion. But some of the replies, which I was reffering to in my post, say "an NSX is XYZ compared to a GTR", and my point.... that not all NSX's are the same. So when you say "an NSX", it's just tough to make that comparison to a GTR, because NSX's can be very different. GTR's, I agree, are more alike than a car that dates back 22 years.

I am not talking about someone talking about their own NSX, the OP's NSX, or any particular NSX, I am just saying general statements saying "NSX" are just not very informative. That's all.

I have to agree to disagree. The original poster is looking for reassurance on a decision he's facing, like polls and topics started about making choices. Even though one shouldn't care what others think it does I believe influence someone's decision about their choice depending on who jumps on whatever bandwagon.

Even polls for fun are in perspective topics of discussion and serious thought goes into them. It's the same thing. People want to just feel better about what they choose. Or want a excuse to finally take the next step.

Did you pose this question on the GTR forum?

If so, what kind of response did you get?

I did this. Believe it or not most of the guys answered very honestly.... and most told me to stay with my NSX. But personally, and it is just me, a 1992 NSX would probably not keep from from moving into a GTR. I would want to do a 6 speed, refresh the interior, do the 02+ front and rear conversions, and I still wouldn't have a targa, one of the MAIN reasons I prefer my NSX. That would start adding up to too much money and I would just move into a GTR instead. There is a breaking point for me. It just didn't come with my particular NSX.

Last edited:
Well, after driving a 2013 GTR a month or so ago I've been really lusting for one. I passed on a perfect 15K mile 09 for $58K.......and now kinda regret it because it was a really good deal, given the current market. I just wasn't financially prepared for it. So I started thinking the unthinkable: selling my 93 NSX that I've treasured and modded for the last 17 years. I actually went so far as to write an ad up, and it felt really weird to be doing it. Then in a lucid moment I went out to the shop and took the cover off the NSX, which is put away for the winter. At that point, I knew I couldn't do it. It's just too beautiful and special. I know a GTR would destroy it in any performance contest but, the reality is, I didn't want the GTR as replacement for the NSX........I want it as a replacement for my daily driver. It's all wheel drive, it seats 3 (4 painfully) decent comfort and luxury and the feeling that it does give me when I drive it is one of complete and overwhelming, Ferrari stomping power. Not a bad feeling. If the government doesn't kill me too bad in the next year or so, I will have a GTR.

Back