• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

WSJ : The Race to Capture Saddam

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052970203833104577070531742006946.html

RV-AF182_SADDAM_G_20111202015447.jpg

Musslit did not want to be seen or heard, but the soldiers continued to pepper him with demands to show them the location. He knew that the game was up. Walking a few steps across the small patio, he began to gesture toward a foot mat.

Drawing it aside, the special operations soldiers noticed soft earth beneath the mat. Two of them brushed away the dirt, exposing a bit of rope. After more digging, a soldier exposed what appeared to be handles.

"Sir, we may have a potential jackpot," John (a pseudonym), a special-ops team leader, radioed to Col. Jim Hickey, the brigade commander.

A small group of special-ops soldiers gathered around as a hatch began to take shape. One of the men readied a flash-bang grenade while another lifted the handles. The others provided cover with their weapons.

As the top was tossed away, a haggard man in a charcoal-colored dishdasha began to move. Lights and muzzles bore down, illuminating him in the darkness. A soldier called for the translator, Samir, an Iraqi-American refugee.

"Who are you?!" demanded the soldiers through the translator.

"I am Saddam Hussein, the duly elected president of Iraq," the startled man replied. "I am willing to negotiate."​

I kinda liked the guy who looked like John Belushi after an all night rave:eek:

Back