• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

WTF is up with cops nowadays.

My (ex) father inlaw is a retired 20+yr LAPD detective. He used to wax on and on about cop life. The most relevant thing he used to tell me was this:

He'd proudly point at his face and say: "Do you want to know why after 20+yrs LAPD why I have no scars"?

"Because, if you want to survive and retire a cop, We Always Shoot First".

My (ex) father inlaw is a retired 20+yr LAPD detective. He used to wax on and on about cop life. The most relevant thing he used to tell me was this:

He'd proudly point at his face and say: "Do you want to know why after 20+yrs LAPD why I have no scars"?

I like the way your father in law thinks. When the police tell you to comply, you comply. When they say freeze, you freeze. Very simple and easy way not to get your ass kicked, your feeling hurt, or wind up shot.

How many people did he shoot? Odds are none. There killings by cops per year nationwide is in the hundreds, not thousands. That number is really really small compared to the number of arrests.

Last edited:
How many people did he shoot? Odds are none. There killings by cops per year nationwide is in the hundreds, not thousands. That number is really really small compared to the number of arrests.
No idea how many police involved shootings he was in but I'm assuming quite a few in his 20+ years of service. He worked in virtually every LAPD department from foot patrol, Motors (motorcycles), Vice, Homicide and Internal Affairs. He said he felt most at risk of being shot in the back when he was IA...

20 years at LAPD left him with a very low regard for humanity with little to 0 respect for people in general, especially minorities. Every story would start with: "We pulled over this dirtbag (derogatory ethnic slur)...

I don't miss those stories.

Theres no justification to shoot at a man 8 times thats running away while posing no threat to anyone. Call for backup, surround the perimeter and he'll be picked up within minutes. No one dies, no cop goes to prison. It's common sense.

I agree with Davidf on this and it is just a terrible thing to watch a young man die senselessly no matter what.
However, the media loves to stir things and create hysteria because it creates ratings and David, I saw the video prior to you posting. It pissed me off as well. But the key thing to remember is that when we are in an emotional state, we make poor decisions. Not saying you are making a poor decision at all, I am just saying it would be logical to do an investigation of all facts prior to blaming either party at fault. Lastly, by letting anger take hold and blaming all of the millions of cops throughout the United states, it is more wise to not say all cops behave this way because they do not. I see many police officers bringing homeless drug addicts into restaurants I service to buy them meals and try to help them in the San Francisco area. There are good people out there. But there are also bad people. Thank you for bringing this up to topic and discussion. Your comments are never takien for granted or deemed incredible to me but it is a very delicate situation.
To close this comment, "everyone hates cops until they need a cop".

Per the video there was not an instance where the cop's life was in danger. Shooting an unarmed individual in the back 8 times while running away is just plain execution. If there was no video taken I bet this cop will be scot free. I know police job is tough but this a perfect example of an unjustified shooting. :(

Everyone hates lawyer too until they need a lawyer ;)
I date a lawyer:biggrin: A lawyer of 20 years defending police officers in Oakland. When marines go crazy and kill people do we ever say wtf is up with the military? Nope. But as I said, this is a delicate situation and I think nothing of people who have different views other then my own. This can get hairy very quickly.

There was a study done a while back (I'm going to be paraphrasing a bit) where 20 or so wallets were turned into the police to see if they would then keep them or bring them to their precinct. When the general population was asked how many of the wallets would be turned in the consensus was a very small percentage. The reality was that, in this instance, 100% of the wallets were turned in. I guess my point is that most police are good, hard working people that have a very hard and thankless job to do and the public has a very poor perception of them.

I agree with Davidf on this and it is just a terrible thing to watch a young man die senselessly no matter what.
However, the media loves to stir things and create hysteria because it creates ratings and David, I saw the video prior to you posting. It pissed me off as well. But the key thing to remember is that when we are in an emotional state, we make poor decisions. Not saying you are making a poor decision at all, I am just saying it would be logical to do an investigation of all facts prior to blaming either party at fault. Lastly, by letting anger take hold and blaming all of the millions of cops throughout the United states, it is more wise to not say all cops behave this way because they do not. I see many police officers bringing homeless drug addicts into restaurants I service to buy them meals and try to help them in the San Francisco area. There are good people out there. But there are also bad people. Thank you for bringing this up to topic and discussion. Your comments are never takien for granted or deemed incredible to me but it is a very delicate situation.
To close this comment, "everyone hates cops until they need a cop".

The big point here is without the video this cop would have skated. If there existed a Ferguson MO video the town would not have been torn apart and a few other cops would still be alive : ( Body cams need to be implemented not because cops are bad, cops are 99.99999% good, but rather to protect them from fear mongering agenda driving not so 'sharp' agenda driven morons, and occasionally to protect citizens from the rare bad cop like the one in this vid.

Last edited:
The big point here is without the video this cop would have skated. If there existed a Ferguson MO video the town would not have been torn apart and a few other cops would still be alive : ( Body cams need to be implemented not because cops are bad, cops are 99.99999% good, but rather to protect them from fear mongering agenda driving not so 'sharp' agenda driven morons, and occasionally to protect citizens from the rare bad cop like the one in this vid.

Possibly, but firing 8 shots at a running man would raised many questions. On the downside, if he skated this, the MO riots would've been a cartoon compared to the rioting this would create. Just my .02.

Possibly, but firing 8 shots at a running man would raised many questions. On the downside, if he skated this, the MO riots would've been a cartoon compared to the rioting this would create. Just my .02.

Yes, that's my point.. having the video clarified things rather quickly and averted the riots.. by the way, if he was wearing a body cam I doubt the that poor man would be dead.

Makes me scared now if a police pulls me over. Am i gona get shoot by one too just because hes a cop?! Should i my piece on me lock and load just in case. I have cameras in my cars but is that gonna save my life??? Man, what is going on with COPS now or days.....

It's almost as if cops are completely oblivious to whats been going on recently. They just continue to shoot, harass, beat down, etc. people without justification. Just the other day there was that incident where the cop shot that guys dog even after the other cop was petting it. In this incident even if it wasn't on video was he going to get away with it? I mean 8 bullets in the back of a man? Doesn't that raise some serious questions? How do you justify shooting someone in the back? An UNARMED man!

I suspect that this is nothing new... it's only that cops are a "hot topic" right now in the media, so the public is being made more aware of these types of things. But who knows? I could be wrong.

Everyone should buy a bulletproof vest now or days to wear just incase they run into a trigger happy cop.

There is some wisdom to this, but to the uninitiated, it can be easily misconstrued. Obviously, if you wait for the badguy to shoot, what if he's on target? Can't shoot back, and he continues on to kill/harm others.

Also, in some cases, it is actually legal to shoot someone in the back, but it takes a lot to make it fly: if a person is known to have attacked/killed someone already, and is en route to another location to commit a similar crime then shooting in the back (or front or whatever) is considered "clean."

Everyone should buy a bulletproof vest now or days to wear just incase they run into a trigger happy cop.

Logic much?

Don't worry, only about 400 people are shot and killed by cops each year vs. 20 million traffic stops. Your odds are 400/20,000,000 which means you have to be stopped 50,000 times on avg to be shot and killed by a cop. You'd have to be stopped every day of your life once a day for 136 years. However, attack the cop, pull a gun on him, knock his taser out of his hand, etc, and your odds improve.

Ask your doctor if he/she would recommend Chemotherapy to his/her kids in case of a cancer, I bet 95% of them would say no, or at least they know well in their heart that they will not give their kids Chemotherapy if they have cancer. Only few doctors are brave enough to do the right thing to patients because doing the right thing will eventually get them fire. Are you brave enough to give up 12 years of medical school and 200k+ salary? I am not.

The food industry……[/QUOTE]

What? Where did cancer abd chemo come from?

Makes me scared now if a police pulls me over. Am i gona get shoot by one too just because hes a cop?! Should i my piece on me lock and load just in case. I have cameras in my cars but is that gonna save my life??? Man, what is going on with COPS now or days.....

Lol....that cop was a nut job and should go away for a long time for shooting that guy 8 times in the back, but let's not get carried away here...just comply like 99.9% of normal people do and you won't get shot...

Don't put yourself in a situation where you'll be pulled over then. If you follow the law you typically don't get harassed or rather shot by a cop. End of story.

Lol....that cop was a nut job and should go away for a long time for shooting that guy 8 times in the back, but let's not get carried away here...just comply like 99.9% of normal people do and you won't get shot...

You nailed it.

Back