• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Zanardi crash :(

Z18

Contributing Member
Well, it happened. A couple of weeks ago during heavy rain, I hydroplaned it into the curb on the side of the road, scratched up the wheels and messed up the alignment... and I hope that's all that's wrong with it.

Any suggestions on what to do, where to take it? I'll need to order 2 new Zanardi/Type S rims and I need to get the alignment checked out and fixed, and also have someone make sure I didn't whack it so hard something's truly bent
frown.gif

Advice and guidance much appreciated (I'm in the San Diego area).

thanks!

-Z18

Z18 sorry to hear about this. Always sad when we see one of our own get into a whiz-banger. I've never hydroplaned before (touch wood), and I'm curious to know if it's like they say: you can turn the wheel in every which way, but the car keeps going in the line of inertia? Was that your experience as well?

Although I am not in CA, many of the other members are, and I'm sure they can point you in the right direction.

Good luck, and get the car into the shop right away to assess for any other damage. If the alignment is out of whack, you should refrain from driving it, as this may cause undue friction of components and wear of the tires, which could compound the existing problems. If your rims are bent, you are probably not doing this anyway, but just wanted to make doubly-sure.

Good luck, and let us know how everything turns out.

Regards.

Hi Z18, sorry to hear about your mishap.
We do have a new complete set of Type-S/Zanardi wheels coming in from Japan. We are selling them for a really good price. Quite a bit lower than the already discounted price of $3519 at Dali Racing.
Please contact us if interested.(your e-mail is not shown).

Originally posted by Z18:
Well, it happened. A couple of weeks ago during heavy rain, I hydroplaned it into the curb on the side of the road, scratched up the wheels and messed up the alignment... and I hope that's all that's wrong with it.

Any suggestions on what to do, where to take it? I'll need to order 2 new Zanardi/Type S rims and I need to get the alignment checked out and fixed, and also have someone make sure I didn't whack it so hard something's truly bent
frown.gif

Advice and guidance much appreciated (I'm in the San Diego area).

thanks!

-Z18

------------------
www.acrmotorsports.com / 949-929-8973

Hey Brad,
Sorry to hear about the accident, hope its just the alignment that is affected.
Several NSX owners in San Diego have used:
Suspension Plus on Mira Mar Rd (858)558-8562.
They're pretty experienced with track/street set up for the NSX.
or
Del Mar Automotive Service
2201 San Dieguito Dr.
Del Mar
(858) 755-2404.

email me if you need any help
david

Since you're going to need rims and suspension parts, beyond just alignment, I would suggest you go somewhere that has a lot of experience with all kinds of NSX repairs and modifications. ACR Motorsports in Orange Co is one possibility. Another is Nick, Mark Basch's protege, who is based in the northern part of San Diego (I'm not sure exactly which shop he's working out of these days); you can call Jane Basch at 602-244-8010 to find out, and schedule an appointment.

... scratched up the wheels and messed up the alignment...

Sorry to hear about your shunt. Are you sure your wheels can't be refinished? Many people have reported - and I have witnessed - miraculous restoration of wheels that were refinished. I am sure if you post pictures you can get opinions. Many refinishing shops charge only a fraction of what you would pay for new ones.

Just an option...

------------------
Nick M

91' Red/Black with Many Mods
99' Honda Odyssey with Many Kids

As nsxtasy was trying to say politely, if your car is out of alignment then something is likely bent. While it is possible for the front or rear camber adjustments to shift on impact it is not very likely for that to happen and nothing else get bent.

If you can detect a problem driving it then I'd bet on at least an outer tie rod end, and potentially control arm(s).

I hope not, but it's important that you have it checked carefully and not simply adjusted back close to spec. If something is bent then it is easier to bend further and possibly weak.

BTW, be careful out there, but don't be to hard on yourself. I wouldn’t say that really qualifies and a "crash". Just keep in mind how bad it could easily have been if you slid off into a tree, or oncoming traffic, or a pedestrian. I never mess around in the rain, just too many things can happen too fast..

[This message has been edited by sjs (edited 31 January 2003).]

Brad,

I'm really sorry to hear about your accident, but very glad to hear your o.k. Give me a call 760-931-9100. I have a spare set of rims/tires 16/17 you could use to get your alignment checked. In fact, I have the complete aluminum suspension cage if you need it.

Would the 996's traction control compensate for such an occurance?

Sorry to hear about your accident. You're not alone.

Driving a NSX in the rain can be treacherous. I think it's probably a combination of the low polar moment, tires that may have less tread than usual and the inspiring confidence that the NSX normally bring in the dry weather.

http://www.nsxprime.com/ubb/Forum1/HTML/001874.html
http://www.nsxprime.com/ubb/Forum1/HTML/003387.html
http://www.nsxprime.com/ubb/Forum1/HTML/004069.html
http://www.nsxprime.com/ubb/Forum1/HTML/000813.html
http://www.nsxsc.com/ubb/Forum1/HTML/000271.html http://www.nsxprime.com/ubb/Forum1/HTML/007739.html

-Jim

Originally posted by emvanderpol:
Would the 996's traction control compensate for such an occurance?

I doubt it.

I'm not knocking the 996's traction control, just pointing out that if you go too fast in the rain on a ramp or a curve, no traction control system can prevent you from having an accident.

The generalization still applies: People usually could safely go faster than they normally drive on dry pavement, and usually can't go as fast as they normally drive on wet pavement. When it rains, most people slow down by maybe 5-10 mph and that's nowhere near enough difference.

Just a quick update and a response to some of the questions:

I had it checked out and the suspension is indeed bent. The Acura Dealer said to take it to an autobody/alignment shop so they could determine what parts were bent and then order them for me. I suspect, however, that they may want the new wheels on before hand, so I'm going to need the wheels right away.

As for whether the 996 would have done better... my feeling is probably, but not for sure. The car is heavier, has wider tires, AWD/PSM, and is designed to haul ass on the Autobahn in Germany where it rains all the time. *shrug* So while I certainly feel safer in the 996 in the rain, who really knows? In one case I would have damaged a more expensive car, but in this case I damaged a limited edition car... lose-lose.

And as for whether I was goofing around in the rain, the answer is NO, and the irony is that given the number of track events I've been to (25+) and the spirted driving I do in much safer conditions, this evening I was driving home from work doing probably 40mph in a 55mph zone, when I hit a deep puddle and hydroplaned 5 or so feet into the curb on the left. Should I have been going slower? Well, in retrospect, obviously yes... that said, I was going with traffic.

The moral of the story, to me, is a reminder that a .99g skidpad sports car goes to crap in the rain and probably shouldn't be driven at all, or if so, damn slow.

-Z18

[This message has been edited by Z18 (edited 05 February 2003).]

Update: I made an appointment to drop it off at Suspension Plus in Mira Mar road...

David, I appreciate your reccomendation of this place, and they seemed compitent on the phone... that said, anyone else here used them before? Honestly, I haven't ever had to have any real work done on my cars, so I'm nervous.

thanks,

-Z18

I suspect, however, that they may want the new wheels on before hand, so I'm going to need the wheels right away.

I bet you can find someone in your area who can lend you a set of wheels for them to use in aligning your car and diagnosing other parts needed. The 16"/17" OEM wheels should work fine; you don't need the special Zanardi wheels for this purpose.

In the rare cases when im caught in the rain ...when coming up on metal bridges,slick turns or puddles i usally let off the gas n cruise thru them. Im glad your ok and the car has not sustained any major damage .....cars can be fixed. I think it could have been worse, sounds like you were very lucky.

I own a 996 with PSM. While it's true that nothing can overcome the basic rules of physics, Porsche Stability Management comes close.

It's hard to explain in words, actually. I generally just tell people that when you exceed the limit, it feels like the "hand of God" comes out of the sky and pushes you back where you intended to be.

I've sat in the passenger seat on the track with other NSX owners driving my 996 and intentionally getting PSM to engage. They laugh their asses off every time, because the system is that frigging amazing.

Go test drive a 996 or Boxster equipped with PSM and try to get the car to understeer around a tight suburban corner... you'll hear and feel the system engage. Is it "cheating"? Sort of... but you can turn it off (for the most part).

EDR

Looks like I'll start with an alignment, and I also think the wheels are beyond repair, so I'll need to buy a new set it looks like.

Sorry about the accident. That sucks. I am buying suspension pieces to replace bent ones on my own NSX.
frown.gif

Out of curiosity, what are you doing with your trashed wheels? My mother is a 4th grade teacher and decorates her room with car parts that I give her (wheels, fenders, and other such items). I would love to get a hold of those wheels if you have no use for them. Her students love her room because it is the "car room".
smile.gif

------------------
Mitch

2002 Honda S2000 white/red (6-speed)
1996 Acura Integra GSR black/black (5-speed)
1991 Acura NSX black/ivory (auto)
1990 Honda Accord EX black/tan (5-speed)

Back