• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Zenardi, Type S. Undocumented differences?

I was told, tonight, that the Zanardi doesn't have a Strut Tower Brace at all. I thought that was kind of odd so when I got home I took a look at the only Zanardi engine bay pic I could find and um, no brace. http://www.oursbourn.com/ZEngine.JPG

Do any of you Z car guys out there have a strut tower brace on your cars? If not, I have a question...

The brace is supposed to add rigidity to the car, correct? Does it seem odd that this piece is missing from the Zanardi's and presumable the Type S's if they are supposed to be more rigid, stiffer suspension ect. than the regular coupes and targas? What else is different on the Zanardi's and S's ect that isn't not listed?
I saw a picture of the New Type R's engine bay the other day, but now I can't find it. If anyone sees it, does it have a strut tower brace?

They don't even list this in the weight savings and it has to be a pound or two. That seems odd as well given that Honda lists things like mesh shifter boot as saving 0.1 lbs.

-matt

[This message has been edited by blurr (edited 05 September 2002).]

I can only assume that the increased rigedity that the 95 and later cars have, made it unnecessary to install the bar in a coupe. I for one am continually amazed at how rigged the frame is on my Zanardi, with it's stiffer suspension, and our horrible Wisconsin roads.

I agree. The Zanardi's chasis is so stiff that strut tower brace was not necessarily installed to retain rigidity IMO. My @$$ can attest to that, esp. when I'm driving southbound on Hollywood Fwy near Gower exit. OUCH!
biggrin.gif

American Honda could've used this sales pitch in their press release to help boost sales, but they didn't (yeah right, like it would've made a difference if they did, hah!
tongue.gif
). JMO of course...

[This message has been edited by Zanardi 50 (edited 06 September 2002).]

If I recall correctly, none of the 98+ coupes have a strut tower bar in the engine compartment. This include a regular NSX coupe, a Zanardi coupe, and the new Type-R coupe.

[This message has been edited by Lud (edited 07 September 2002).]

Originally posted by blurr:
They don't even list this in the weight savings and it has to be a pound or two. That seems odd as well given that Honda lists things like mesh shifter boot as saving 0.1 lbs.

The weight savings show a 95 pound weight reduction between the NSX-T and the NSX Coupe. The elimination of the strut tower bar is part of this 95 pound difference.

IIRC there are also some subtle engine differences -- I think the ignition coils (?) are a little different than the base C32B motor.

Chuck -- do you remember this from when they had to tweak your Z awhile back ?

###########

Also, I LIKE the nubuck-finished seats -- a lot grippier than smooth leather -- probably more resistant to creases and marks too (downside -- probably tougher to clean)

- Manuel

We asked the Honda engineers in Japan in '98 and they said the strut tower bar was determined to be not needed. I believe the 97 coupes still had it. The 98 and later coupes, Zanardi or not did not come with the bar.

Back