• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

How to keep a black hat from turing orange?

I been buying these black DC hats with a white logo. Parts of the hat are turning orangish/ brownish from the sun and sweat? I had one that lasted a while but as soon as I got my targa top. This stuff started happening with my black hats. I drive without the top every chance I get. So would scotch guarding maybe help with this problem? Or do you guys have a better option? Or are these just hats with a really bad die job? I searched google and I found nothing.

I been buying these black DC hats with a white logo. Parts of the hat are turning orangish/ brownish from the sun and sweat? I had one that lasted a while but as soon as I got my targa top. This stuff started happening with my black hats. I drive without the top every chance I get. So would scotch guarding maybe help with this problem? Or do you guys have a better option? Or are these just hats with a really bad die job? I searched google and I found nothing.

Don't know if this is helpful, but i'm very familiar with weathering testing and recipe experimentation with polymers.

I worked in the plastics industry for just over a decade, and based upon your observations I agree the issue is UV damage. I was in acrylic sheeting, but if there is some type of acrylic fiber blend in the material, then you will have a breakdown over time(usually a yellowing affect). A good manufacturer will add a UV stabilizer to the acrylic recipe. However, it is NOT a permanent solution as it only buys time before the destructive rays take the material out of commission. I never performed many UV tests with pure dye, but various colorants can have some interesting reactions with UV exposure as well. Maybe there are no stabilizers in the materials at all, or just not enough to cope with your local environmental conditions.

Is there a spray on "band-aid" type solution? Never heard of one...at least nothing related to post production treatments.

Anyways sorry for the long preface...I suppose the best solution is sticking with natural fibers and materials such as cotton and actual pure carbon black as chief colorant.

Most anodized parts have little to no U/V protection. Black is one of most U/V fade prone colors. The other option is to have it painted or powdercoated. I do not believe you are dealing with substantial heat in the hat itself. The down side will be it will not be as abrasive resistant as the anodizing.

Wait I'm confused. Are you talking about a hat? Like a hat you wear on your head? Because I'm seeing comments like powder coatings and anodizing, polymers... for a hat? We are talking about a hat for your head right?

I have seen fabrics go orange before, which is different than sun fading, bleaching and other wear. However, to better understand and diagnose, where exactly is this orange discoloring occurring?

head hat ..brake hat...there still hats damit..he means head hat, and some of my old white hats have yellowish discoloration...bleach works best,but on a black hat :confused:

LOL Yeah we are talking about a hat that you wear on your head. There were a couple off topic posts I got to say. Most of the fading is towards the back and brim of the hat. I took a couple quick photos of the new hat (on the left). Also took one of the old hat ( on the right). I know it just looks dirty but trust me it isnt. I tried to wash it. It stayed exactly the same.

Attachments

• 006.jpg
    006.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 4,866
  • 005.jpg
    005.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 4,930
Dye it black again?

This probably would work. I have this Kiwi shoe polish stuff that I used on my leather seats. Its basically just a black die. So Ill rub some of that on there and see what happens.

LOL Yeah we are talking about a hat that you wear on your head. There were a couple off topic posts I got to say. Most of the fading is towards the back and brim of the hat. I took a couple quick photos of the new hat (on the left). Also took one of the old hat ( on the right). I know it just looks dirty but trust me it isnt. I tried to wash it. It stayed exactly the same.

What sort of hair products do you use? I have found when i use a liquid gel my hats had a tendency to get f---ed up. i switched to a wax type product, and my favorite black hat has stayed pretty nice for over a year now.

Another possibility is that your sweat is acidic and it is discoloring the hats

looks like uv damage and dye run from washing....I think once that proccess begins its tough to negate..best thing to do is pretreat when new.

Yellowish stains are typically from sweat and body grime (have tried taking a show doc? :biggrin:)

However, orange~ish discolorations are chemical reactions. I've seen it many times. Here are the few cases were I've seen it.

1) Do you swim or have a pool? Do you put your hat on after you swim? If so, your hair will still be holding chlorine and other pool chemicals. They will slowly turn your hat orange. Especially around the seams.
2) Do you use any face products? Chemicals in certain face products will also discolor your hat. Lotions, facial treatments (especially benzoil peroxide!) and other creams will turn your hat orange, especially around the forehead area and anywhere you touch your hat when you put it on (because the residue are still on your fingers).
3) Same as above, but with certain hair care products.

Basically do a search and analysis of any time any chemical touches your hat. The main culprits would be any peroxide, chlorine and the like keeping in mind that when dry, they may not affect your hat, but when wet or sweating will eventually discolor. Also keep in mind that it usually takes time sitting on the hat to eventually change the color. So if you rinse them off right away and wash them, it might minimize the discoloration when you do get chemicals on them.

Same thing happens to my black hats, its the U/V from the sun and the acidity/PH level of your sweat interacting with the dye.

If I like a particular hat, I buy several at the same time so I don't have to hunt another one down only to find out they stopped making it.

You could try spraying the hat with a U/V protectant like "Ray Bloc" periodically and see if that helps.

or just have it chrome dipped, all the ladies like the bling, right !

bathing is overated....besides we're talking about friggen baseball caps....is there a concorso for hats? or a bloomington hat scale:tongue:

From your pictures, yes those are chemical reactions. Notice the locations of the discolorations. Along the forehead and bill. If it was UV/sweat discoloration, you'd see it more evenly along the band of the hat. But notice is it more in the front and especially along the bill. The discoloration in the front is from the sweat from your forehead, mixing with face (and maybe hair) products in the front. The discoloration on the bill of the hat is the left over residue on your fingers that you spread onto the bill when you put it on and adjust it. Do you use any face products with any form of peroxide in it?

Or if you wear your hat high on your head and you swim in a pool, so that the front band of your hat is sitting on your chlorine soaked hair, that will do the same thing.

I'm so positive on this, I stake docjohn's life on it! :biggrin:

Last edited:
The hat on the right looks much better than the new one. The weathered look is in :biggrin:

you may be on to something..just like jeans...pre sweated hats!!!!

I'm sensing a lot of fear of a black hat...

images

<iframe width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/zqp-aSPqQYc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/usSS517OlSI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited:
I dont go swimming very often. Maybe 4 times a year. I dont use any harsh face products. I do sweat a good amount tho. Well I tried the kiwi black die out and waited awhile for it to dry. I will let the pictures speak for themselves. The only thing Im worried about the hat is that if I sweat the black die will be all over my forehead or hair maybe even face. Im going to let it dry for a couple days and give it a try. Almost forgot the hat on the right was treated with the kiwi shoe polish. The left one is the new hat. There was no way I was getting the faded parts of the back of the hat where is says dcshoecousa. I quess I could use a paint brush or something.

Attachments

• 010.jpg
    010.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 4,684
  • 009.jpg
    009.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 4,629
Last edited:
The problem with the hats deteriorating in the Sun is the probably label inside the hat. Where are they made??? Who knows what the material is died with?

Solution: get a coupe! :smile:

I predict shoe polish will be getting on your head the first time those hats get wet.

Back