• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

‘95 Factory Service Manual

Does anyone have access to the ‘95 service manual? I was reading codes using the service connector but it gave me the code 72 which isn’t in the 91-94 and I don’t have a OBD2 code reader at the moment.

According to my '95 manual, Code 72 is P1202, Cylinder 2 miss-fire. Causes listed are fuel injector, fuel injector circuit, ignition system, low compression, and valve clearance. Refer to page 11-90. These might help:

I had the similar code 1302 last year that wound up being a spark plug fouled by fuel injectors that were about 10 years late for cleaning, but it could be a bunch of other things as well.

Frustrating that those pages are missing from the 1997+ service manual in the library. I'm working on that.

We should have the '95 service manual in the library as well. I could scan mine, but it's a copy of a copy by the look of things, and the loose leaf versions are NLA. If anyone has an original 95 SM in loose leaf (vs. bound) form that we could scan in to Prime, PM me.

Last edited:
According to my '95 manual, Code 72 is P1202, Cylinder 2 miss-fire. Causes listed are fuel injector, fuel injector circuit, ignition system, low compression, and valve clearance. Refer to page 11-90.

I had the similar code 1302 last year that wound up being a spark plug fouled by fuel injectors that were about 10 years late for cleaning.

Frustrating that those pages are missing from the 1997+ service manual in the library. I'm working on that.

We should have the '95 service manual in the library as well. I could scan mine, but it's a copy of a copy by the look of things, and the loose leaf versions are NLA. If anyone has an original 95 SM in loose leaf (vs. bound) form that we could scan in to Prime, let me know.
This happened as I was coming home from getting gas so it could be that. Should I keep driving or just pull the injectors to check?

Here is the flowchart from 11-90 that was referenced in the chart. As you can see, it could be a bunch of things, even bad gas, so snag an OBD reader ASAP to make sure there aren't other codes stored. (Check if it occurs on cylinder 2 repeatedly or if on random cylinders, which is another flow chart):
PXL_20240128_033647734-min.jpg
PXL_20240128_033656392-min.jpg
PXL_20240128_033704976-min.jpg
PXL_20240128_033723004-min.jpg
I don't know if you can check the injectors yourself. I sent mine to RC. When were they last cleaned? If it's been more than 15-20 years, probably good to just send them for cleaning +/- change the plugs as well. (If it was the injectors, you may need new plugs as well.) Follow the flowchart on 11-90 - move the spark plug to another cylinder and move the ignition coil to a different cylinder. If the problem moves with either, there's your problem but, as noted before, if it's a spark plug that's not that old, the problem is probably the fuel injector that was originally feeding it. The issue isn't the low flow as much as the dribbling when it closes. You can swap fuel injectors to isolate, but I'd probably just send them all to RC for testing and cleaning instead of trying to move them around and isolate a problem. Hopefully you don't have to go after the wiring or ECU.

Please follow back to let us know how it worked out, & also add your NSX particulars to your sig?

Last edited:
Here is the flowchart from 11-90 that was referenced in the chart. Follow that. As you can see, it could be a bunch of things, even bad gas. (check if it occurs on cylinder 2 repeatedly or if on random cylinders, which is another flow chart):

I don't know if you can check the injectors yourself. I sent mine to RK. When were they last cleaned? If it was the injectors, you probably need new plugs as well. Follow the flowchart on 11-90 - move the spark plug to another cylinder and move the ignition coil to a different cylinder. If the problem moves with either, there's your problem, but if it's a spark plug and it's not that old, it's probably the fuel injector that was originally feeding it. The issue isn't the low flow as much as the dribbling when it closes. The next step is swapping fuel injectors, which is a lot more work, but I'd probably just send them all to RK for a cleaning instead of trying to move them around and isolate one problem. You're going to have them all cleaned anyway. Hopefully you don't have to go after the wiring or ECU.

Also add your NSX particulars to your sig?
Added and thank you for the manual pages. Will try this tomorrow.

This happened as I was coming home from getting gas so it could be that. Should I keep driving or just pull the injectors to check?

First off, removing and sending the injectors out for cleaning on a close to 30 year old car will never be a bad thing. However, the misfire may not be caused by the injectors. Fuel system related misfires are typically caused by lean fuel mixture. With a good OBDII scanner you should be able to look at the short term fuel trim values in real time and if you are running a lot of positive fuel trim on the rear bank (cylinder #2 is on the rear) that would be consistent with a fuel related misfire. However, nothing is ever absolute. The trim on the rear bank is the average of the three cylinders. If the problem is specific to cylinder #2 the blended trim value may hide what is going on with #2 and may not be a good diagnostic. I suggest doing the plug / coil switch test to see if the problem is ignition related. If that indicates the problem is ignition related then you can do plug / coil replacement to see if that resolves the problem. You can then schedule the always good to do injector cleaning when it is convenient.

Mild bouts of infrequent misfire will not damage things; but, should be addressed because they are an indication that something is not up to spec. Severe protracted misfire is a significant problem because the unburnt gas from the misfire enters the catalytic converter where it is oxidized generating a lot of heat which can destroy the catalytic converter. If you have severe misfire the CEL / MIL will start flashing continuously and at that point you should no longer be driving the car.

Just got back tonight from college. Checked the fuel trim values. Bank 1 is running 6-12% with an average of about 10%. But bank 2 is running a consistent 2.3%. I’ll probably do the coil test to see if it’s cylinder 2 specifically but that will have to wait till tomorrow or Sunday.IMG_6404.png

Used octane booster and the check engine light isn’t there anymore. Hopefully that solves it, just won’t go back to that station.

Back