• ***Text Box Error UPDATE*** Folks- we were able to fix the underlying issue with the missing text box on the forum. Everything should be back to normal. - Honcho

17/17 wheels w/ Zanardi Suspension is ok?

Osiris_x11

Gold Member, Moderator: Marketplace
hmmm... I'd like to just get affirmation as to whether or not I have made the correct choices for my 1991 NSX in regards to it's wheels, tires, and suspension upgrades!

I'm going w/ 17x7 [35mm] (F) and 17x9 [40mm] (R) forged JDM wheels, Eagle F1 GS-D3: 215/40/17 (F) and 255/40/17 (R), and the Zanardi suspension-setup (1999 NSX Zanardi NSX springs/struts).

I recall that the 1999 Zanardi NSX came w/ 16/17 BBS wheels. As I will be running w/ a 17/17 setup, will that have any impact on my handling? Also, will the front of my NSX appear 'taller' than it should, relatively speaking (is the Zanardi setup primed for smaller-front, larger-real wheels)? Did I make a faux pas :confused:

Osiris_x11 said:
I recall that the 1999 Zanardi NSX came w/ 16/17 BBS wheels. As I will be running w/ a 17/17 setup, will that have any impact on my handling?
It shouldn't change it significantly, either way.

Osiris_x11 said:
will the front of my NSX appear 'taller' than it should, relatively speaking (is the Zanardi setup primed for smaller-front, larger-real wheels)?
No. Going from the stock sizes for your '91 to these sizes (which are the stock sizes for the '02-05 NSX) will increase your ride height by 0.35 inch in the front and 0.09 inch in the rear. The Zanardi suspension reduces the overall height by 0.4 inch. So the car should still be lower overall, after taking both changes into account.

Osiris_x11 said:
Did I make a faux pas
No, I think it will be fine.

I'm running 17/17 setup, and you could see in my gallery.

the problem is that it will increase the gap in the front, relatively to the rear. And without the 02+ side skirt. the 17/17 setup doesn't go really well with the body lines. the smaller front wheels do a lot better with the body line flow.

Depending on your tire choice the 17' in front will make the ride a little bit harsher with the Zanardis than the OEM 16'. But it's a matter of preferences. :)

How to address th front wheelwell tire-fender gap?

hmmm... Thank you for all the insights.
icon14.gif

The gap in the front wheelwell between the fender and tire was a concern of mine, but oh well: tiz is life. Oh well, I'll just add some mudflaps or polished chrome fender-flares to the NSX to take attention away from the increased tire-to-fender gap in the wheelwells. . . :biggrin:

I was keen on the 17/17 setup as the availability of OEM rubber is prevalent, and the relative wheel weight isn't prohibative to the NSX's performance. The 02+ models have also have the 17/17 setup, I wonder what's different in their alignment/suspension to facilite the change from 16/17 to 17/17 preserving the aesthetic appeal (nice flow of lines and angular front profile upon viewing and not as pronounced gap in the front wheelwells between the fender and tire) :confused:

A 17/18 setup was my 2nd choice, but 18" wheels along w/ the necessary larger tires add significant weight. Then there is also the issue of more negative camber of which most of it can't be dialed out. Also, the OEM brake rotors would look incredibly anemic & miniscule w/ such a large wheel (thanks Ojas :tongue: ). The only solution to that would be BBK or larger brake discs (use 97+ brake calipesr & disc or fabricate custom brackets to facilitate the addition of larger aftermarket rotors). I'll wait till a few more TL's get totalled and someone figures out how to modify their Brembo's to be installed on the NSX! :cool:

Back