• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

17/18 coming. Limited tire choices! :(

Hey all,

I have a set of rpf1 17x8 +35, 18x10 +38 coming in but still deciding on what tires to go with. The 215/40/17 265/35/18 set-up left me with only a few tires to go with. Fk452, falken ze912, extreme contact dw, direzza StarSpec Z1, Direzza dz101.

I am looking for more wet performance and longevity than max grip in the dry. The 452 seemed to fit my needs but there are too many mixed opinions on it.
He also offered me a good deal on Bridgestone RE760 but that only comes in 205/45/17. I would like to stick to 215/40/17.

I'm going to get them installed tomorrow so any help on my decision will be greatly appreciated.

This is an easy choice. Since you care more about wet performance and longevity than max grip in the dry, go with the Continental ExtremeContact DW. It will grip WAY better in all conditions than the budget tires you mention (the FK452 and the DZ101 - and I hate to even mention the crappy all-season ZE-912 :rolleyes: ), and it will give you better wet performance and longevity than the Star Spec while still giving excellent dry grip as well. Easy choice - go with the Continental.

Note - the Tire Rack currently does not show the ExtremeContactDW in 215/40-17, but it's still on Continental's data sheet, so I'm guessing it's still available. If not, I might consider the new Kumho Ecsta LE Sport as an alternative. (The Star Spec is an excellent tire, but it won't last as long as tires that aren't in its "extreme performance" market category.)

Last edited:
what do you guys think of Yokohama Drive S? Only good for dry?
No, it's decent in the wet too. But it's really more of a "budget performance" type tire (as are most of the tires in the "ultra high performance" category), designed for sporty cars (not high-end supercars) for people concerned as much about value as performance. It won't give you anywhere near the performance of the ExtremeContact DW, on dry pavement or in rain. It's slightly better than the FK452 and DZ101, but that's not saying much. I'd recommend the S.drive for a sporty Civic, but not for an NSX.

I'm going to vote Nay for the DWs and YAH for the Z1's

As for Extreme Contact DW vs the Dunlop StarSpec Z1, I just make the change from Z1's to Ext Cont. DW, and must say I did know I was going to suffer a lack of grip, which was a given, but the tire response and feedback is really slow in comparison. The Z1's have superior feel and I miss them very much.

However this was on my daily driver which I have a good ole time with, but wanted more tire life so I would have to change a set a year. I have my DW's for about 1.3 years now and happy with what it provides on the daily drive... and wet conditions are very nicely handled in the DWs. I'm sure they'll make it until December when it will be time to swap out anyways.

Ken, what do you think of the Direzza star spec? Have you ever driven / raced on them ? AutoX guys love it, they also say it does very well in rain.

Ken, what do you think of the Direzza star spec? Have you ever driven / raced on them ?
Yes, I've driven and ridden on them. It's an excellent tire - as good as any street tire on dry pavement, and still pretty good in the rain (I still say it's not quite up there with the Continental ExtremeContact DW in rain, but it's better than the Kumho XS). However, it won't last nearly as long as the ExtremeContact DW, and depending on size, it can be pretty expensive ($273 in 265/35-18 at the Tire Rack, vs $228 for the Conti with a Nook rebate). If you're looking for the best traction on dry pavement and you don't care about anything else, the Star Spec is a terrific choice. But anyone who mentions longevity and/or cost, such as the OP here, really ought to consider the ExtremeContact DW instead - you know, different tires for folks with different priorities.

Treadwear ratings don't always tell the whole story on treadlife, since they can vary especially between brands, but they're worth checking nonetheless. (The higher the number, the better the longevity.) The OEM Bridgestone RE010 has a 120 treadwear rating. Most of the "extreme performance" tires including the Star Spec have a treadwear rating of 180 or 200. The ExtremeContact DW has a 340 treadwear rating. So it ought to last almost twice as long as the Star Spec, assuming the same vehicle and usage. (The Kumho Ecsta LE Sport, which I mentioned above, carries a 280 treadwear rating, and 265/35-18 is $186.)

Last edited:
Yes, I've driven and ridden on them. It's an excellent tire - as good as any street tire on dry pavement, and still pretty good in the rain (I still say it's not quite up there with the Continental ExtremeContact DW in rain, but it's better than the Kumho XS).

Thank you for clearing that up for me.

Last edited:
Ken, what do you think of the Direzza star spec? Have you ever driven / raced on them ? AutoX guys love it, they also say it does very well in rain.

I think you are mixing up two tires. Direzza and Z1 star specs. Direzza DZ101 is meh... Not that great.... I track my car and wet or dry, the Z1 star spec is hands down the best tire I have had on the car. Its wet performance is actually mind blowing to me knowing how few "grooves" are on it. It STICKS, but it also has different behavior at the limit than my previous bridgestones and RT615 falkens. It's a confidence inspiring tire.

This is an easy choice. Since you care more about wet performance and longevity than max grip in the dry, go with the Continental ExtremeContact DW. It will grip WAY better in all conditions than the budget tires you mention (the FK452 and the DZ101 - and I hate to even mention the crappy all-season ZE-912 :rolleyes: ), and it will give you better wet performance and longevity than the Star Spec while still giving excellent dry grip as well. Easy choice - go with the Continental.

Note - the Tire Rack currently does not show the ExtremeContactDW in 215/40-17, but it's still on Continental's data sheet, so I'm guessing it's still available. If not, I might consider the new Kumho Ecsta LE Sport as an alternative. (The Star Spec is an excellent tire, but it won't last as long as tires that aren't in its "extreme performance" market category.)

I have the DW on my street wheels. It's an absolutely great all around summer tire.

I think you are mixing up two tires. Direzza and Z1 star specs.

The official name of the Star Spec is "Direzza Sport Z1 Star Spec" and it is an Extreme Performance Category Tire with a UTQG of 200 A A.

The official name of the Direzza DZ101 is just that: "Direzza DZ101". Those are Ultra High Performance Summer with a UTQG of 300 A A.

So both tires have the "Direzza" name in them.

I've gone through 1 set of rears in the Z1 Star Spec and can say that they are amazing in the Dry. I have tracked & Autocrossed this tire the whole time I owned it and they held up quite well. They're fairly predictable but they're more of a "feel" type of tire before they let go rather than hear since they don't squeel loudly at the limit like other tires.

An excellent overall dry tire and and excellent overall value IMHO. Mileage for the rears was (and I'm guessing) <3000 miles for the rear with about 5 track days and mixed driving inbetween. The fronts still have over 1/2 their tread still left. I will be picking up another set of rears in the very near future for track and aggressive street driving.

I probably wouldn't recommend them if you're looking to get longevity. The Conti DW is probably the better choice for the OPs concerns.

BTW, I have never run the StarSpecs in the rain, so I can't speak to their performance there.

Last edited:
I've ran them in the rain. I couldn't tell it was raining. Totally unlike my previous rt615.

Back